Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-20-2017, 02:11 PM
Banned

Default Upland birds. Dawn or dusk?

Are you more likely to see grouse/pheasants/turkeys in the early morning or evening? I've only done mornings so far in thick brush near creeks and coniferous trees and haven't seen any. I bet I may have walked right past a few- bit didn't see them. Should I try my luck just before sundown?
Old 10-20-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyU View Post
Are you more likely to see grouse/pheasants/turkeys in the early morning or evening? I've only done mornings so far in thick brush near creeks and coniferous trees and haven't seen any. I bet I may have walked right past a few- bit didn't see them. Should I try my luck just before sundown?

I hunt them all day long. Look in the sunny spots!

BW
Old 10-20-2017, 04:25 PM

Default hunting

If you are hunting turkeys invest in a turkey call and practise with it, so that you can make a reasonable turkey hen cluck. Do a few of those calls in an area where you know turkeys are in the morning and you should get a call back from other turkeys. As far as hunting turkeys later in the day, find out where they are roosting at night. They will travel to that general area and continue to use it till they have been shot at.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:55 PM

Definitely more grouse around just after sunrise than in the evening. I just like sleep too much to hunt many early mornings.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglefisher View Post
Definitely more grouse around just after sunrise than in the evening. I just like sleep too much to hunt many early mornings.
I find the opposite.

More grouse in the evening.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post

BW

Good advice, I hunt mostly mid day, most pheasants I find are in an out of the wind hollow, with some sun exposure.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-20-2017, 06:50 PM

I have seen birds at all times of day. It just depends on the area you are in. I've had most luck in the first few hours after sunrise, and the last few hours before sunset for ruffed grouse. However, last year in the one spot I hunt, the population was huge, and I saw birds all day, pretty well everywhere on the property. Hunt areas with lots of blown down trees, and thicker bush bordering field edges. That's where I seem to have the best luck. As temperatures get cooler you will find the grouse right at the end of the day, flying up into the trees to feed on the buds and what not. It's an easy way to kill a few birds. They are also, often found on the edge of gravel roads chowing down rocks to help digest their food. It's all about luck sometimes too!! Just ending up where the birds are, at the same time. Good luck to you, hope this helps a bit.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:49 PM

Saw 5 grouse in total today.
Was out between 11:00 and 4:30.
4 our of 5 were spotted after 3:30 right after the sun broke out.
The last 4 seemed to be way less timid than the first bird I saw.
Think I’ll try early when I go out next week and see how that goes.

I find the more tired I get, the more game I see in general.
I think I’m walking too fast early on in the day.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:28 AM

With grouse I've seen quite a few walking into my blinds early morning. Before sunrise they were off the ground on branches. Once the sun was up they seemed to be on the transitions from thick spruce to open areas.

A few things I do when actually hunting for grouse are:
-Look for food sources like bog cranberries, bunch berries, alder buds.
-Walk slow, scan for their heads moving back and forth as they walk. I usually walk 10 yards then stop to scan the base of every tree or thick bush.
- listen for the sound they make before flushing, it's sort of like the sound of water dripping but rapid.
- if you flush one follow in the direction they went then go super slow after you walk 20-30 yards. They don't seem to go much farther than 40 yards.
- if you see one and it takes off check for more before you chase after it. I've made the mistake of being too focused on the one that left while there were more hiding in close proximity.

Last year I came across groups of ruffies bunched up sometimes 6-8 at a time . This year so far only single birds. Maybe the dry conditions have had an effect on food sources and population numbers. Super fun with the bow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2017, 07:45 AM
Banned

Best grouse hunts are early morning with a heavy frost and no wind. They will come out in droves to sit in the first rays of sun to get warmed up. You’ll see them on the edges of the gravel roads on these type mornings and can get within a few feet of them often. It’s as if they are in a trance.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post

BW
Definitely as temps cool down

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetreeman View Post
With grouse I've seen quite a few walking into my blinds early morning. Before sunrise they were off the ground on branches. Once the sun was up they seemed to be on the transitions from thick spruce to open areas.

A few things I do when actually hunting for grouse are:
-Look for food sources like bog cranberries, bunch berries, alder buds.
-Walk slow, scan for their heads moving back and forth as they walk. I usually walk 10 yards then stop to scan the base of every tree or thick bush.
- listen for the sound they make before flushing, it's sort of like the sound of water dripping but rapid.
- if you flush one follow in the direction they went then go super slow after you walk 20-30 yards. They don't seem to go much farther than 40 yards.
- if you see one and it takes off check for more before you chase after it. I've made the mistake of being too focused on the one that left while there were more hiding in close proximity.

Last year I came across groups of ruffies bunched up sometimes 6-8 at a time . This year so far only single birds. Maybe the dry conditions have had an effect on food sources and population numbers. Super fun with the bow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Excellent post...haven't been out for ruffies this year yet but the region we usually hunt has two areas about 25 K apart with relatively same terrain, bush, etc., so have to decide which we’re gonna hit first any particular day. Had good success morning, mid-day and dusk, just depends on the day and area. Made the wrong call and spent half a day and saw diddly at the 1st spot, went north a half hr and hit the jackpot and vice versa.

One day I recall in particular, hunting a new area, we had thoroughly combed it and did so/so (had a couple each) but on a whim decided to try an obscure, short trail on the way out. Picked up 3 more beautys within a ½ mile stretch, and all on the same side for some reason??? You just never know.

Few more things with ruffed grouse...where there's one there is usually more closeby. If you think you are going slow, sometimes it pays to slow down even more. I have even stumbled upon a ruffy upon going in after a sprucie. Head in after them even if they flush, most times you will get another chance at them.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:55 PM

Default Afternoon

2-5pm has been unbelievably good for me this year. I can't believe how strong a crop the grouse are this Fall -- tons of fun with the lab.