Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-22-2017, 12:41 AM

In my experience, some things were cheaper at Wholesale Sports and some were at Cabela's. Guns are definitely cheaper at Canadian Tire than at either of those. I bought two guns at Canadian Tire over the past 2-3 years. One was more than $300 less than the lowest price anywhere else (at the time), including online in Canada. Maybe on sale that gun could be found for about the same price at Cabela's, I do not know. The other was $500 less than Cabela's sale price of a similar caliber (Cabela's did not carry this gun in the same caliber). It was on clearance though, but nonetheless.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:30 AM

Exactly, I actually bought federal premium 2 weeks ago from Canadian tire and was choked when I walked into WSS yesterday and saw it for that much cheaper than Canadian tire.

But I have another example. I purchased a Swarovski ATS 20-65 Hd. At cabelas regular price $3529 compared to wholesale sports was $3000. That's 500 cheaper and both were regular price. Actually ended up buying it Mcbain camera believe it or not, they had the cheapest price at $2900 after tax.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:56 AM

Canadian tire price matches regular price items. And (McLeod at least) will order what you want. Buy Canadian.

Colin
Old 01-08-2018, 09:53 PM

Any further news as to who will take over the space?

I was thinking an outfit like the Calgary shooting centre would benefit from a large space like this to expand. They are always busy.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsoucy View Post
What are you talking about I was just there 7mm amo is 50 for winchester super x at whole sale I went to Canadian tire it was 33. Everything there is 20% more. Evan now with the dicount they can't match other stores. That's why there out of bissnes.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
X2
Old 01-09-2018, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Heard the Calgary Cabelas will close next year.
They signed a 10 year lease with deerfoot city, if they left before that they would be sued millions if they broke it.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
just what Trump wants. take over Canada. let see no more Wholesale sports, sears, rona, C series plane what's next.
don't worry JT'S got our back
Old 01-09-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorealBucks View Post
WSS is the biggest pos store, glad its going out of business, i can find cheaper prices at CT & Cabelas even with their up to 40% off bs its cheaper elsewhere. Good job, you did it to yourself.
I hope you enjoy the higher prices that will result with less competition due to WSS closing. As to prices, WSS often had lower prices on firearms than Cabelas, and they had a much better selection of reloading supplies than Cabelas or Canadian Tire.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:03 AM

Cablelas owns bass pro shop so either way as of a couple a years agos . I would hope lethbridge would be the next.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinstone View Post
Cablelas owns bass pro shop so either way as of a couple a years agos . I would hope lethbridge would be the next.
Brilliant.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinstone View Post

Not that I'm a stickler for facts.. But it's the other way around. Bass pro bought out cabelas.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:28 AM

so with all this oh woe is us , about WSS closing down
and everyone wanting a store much like frenchies or SIR
why doesn't everyone chip in a couple or 10,000 and open a new store ?
call it the Alberta outdoors men store ,
something like that would never happen I'm thinking
because to get 10 people to agree on the same thing 9 of them would have to die
please correct me if I'm wrong about that LMAO
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 01-09-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
just what Trump wants. take over Canada. let see no more Wholesale sports, sears, rona, C series plane what's next.
With the exception of the C-series all of those businesses had their courses / demises set long before the last presidential election south of the 49th. Rona was merely a takeover and that had to be accepted by Rona ownership, it’s not like they were even in any kind of financial trouble, they were merely an attractive takeover target due to being successful in the first place. Grasp at straws much or are you just one of those people who have a gag-reflex to blame Trump for everything? I see the behaviour in many and it’s really rather sad in how it has no relation whatsoever to any actions on his part but people will blame him anyways. I’m not particularly fond of the fellow but I’ll stand up for anyone being wrongly blamed. It would be good to get the thread back on topic, so perhaps if the topic isn’t about your favourite president, don’t change it to be about him.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_wiesel View Post
We could call the store 'Outdoor Man', and it could look a lot like a Bass Pro Shop... (Last Man Standing reference)
Old 01-09-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
We could call the store 'Outdoor Man', and it could look a lot like a Bass Pro Shop... (Last Man Standing reference)
YES!
Old 01-09-2018, 05:40 PM

BPS going to close out CT?.......ya...... Ok......
Old 01-09-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
YES!
We have 2 guys agreeing... All in favor of Tim Allen being the add executive??
Old 01-09-2018, 07:57 PM

WSS was close to me and I spent a lot of dollars there. Neither Bass pro or Cabells have the reloading stock that WSS did.
I've been buying more on the web now for many things. If I want something local Basspro and Cabellas won't be getting much if anything from me. Proline, CSC, Edge or driving to Flys Etc in High River is much easier though longer than going north to those other two that I really don't like.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
It's really too bad that Two Guys Hunting closed down. They had some great prices on certain products and offered great customer service. Not much competition for the big-box stores I guess since it was a smaller operation.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriertxv View Post
WSS was close to me and I spent a lot of dollars there. Neither Bass pro or Cabells have the reloading stock that WSS did.
I've been buying more on the web now for many things. If I want something local Basspro and Cabellas won't be getting much if anything from me. Proline, CSC, Edge or driving to Flys Etc in High River is much easier though longer than going north to those other two that I really don't like.
Yes, the two big box stores have very little to offer the serious shooter. I'll support those other guys too.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:16 AM

It would be awesome to see something happen on the south end but unlikely, is the Wholesale sports store. I can’t see the room being big enough for a basspro with all of there mounts and such they couldn’t fit much stock in the store! I wonder what the square foot comparisons would be.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:20 AM

There’s always the old sears in south center that location has 2 floors... there are options in the south there also building a pile of stuff by the south hospital that’s where the mec is going in. Bass pro and cabelas are really far north for all of us in the south I usually just order online rather than go to those clothing stores.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriertxv View Post
Agreed. WSS did have good stock and usually good prices on reloading. Cabelas did have decent reloading stock when they first bought out SIR, but selection declined quickly.

At times, WSS did have some pretty good sale prices on guns. Not great but good. Sales staff even tried to work with you on price. The fact that they wouldn't hold firearms or transferred between stores drove me nuts (at least in Calgary). I even agreed to pay for the shipping - nope.

I also try to support the smaller guys unless the price is outrageously higher than CT. I don't even like walking in Cabelas anymore. Never really liked BP. If you want camo bed spread and pillow cases, fudge, beef jerky or a light fixture made out of antlers than great.

That's just me.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:43 AM

That's quite a pipe dream that you fellas are having. For Cabelas to have a store in North and South Calgary and a Bass Pro in Airdrie would be totally crazy business wise. Do you see any of the bigger centers in the USA that have 2 Cabelas ?
Canadas purchasing power and sales for rifles/ammo/hunting gear is Minimal compared to the USA......Hell the state of California has more people than all of Canada and you think that they will drop another store into Alberta. It Aint never gonna happen. There are more sales in TX in one year than there is in all of Canada. It's all about Money.

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."
- Bob Hagel
Old 01-10-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post
That's quite a pipe dream that you fellas are having. For Cabelas to have a store in North and South Calgary and a Bass Pro in Airdrie would be totally crazy business wise. Do you see any of the bigger centers in the USA that have 2 Cabelas ?
Canadas purchasing power and sales for rifles/ammo/hunting gear is Minimal compared to the USA......Hell the state of California has more people than all of Canada and you think that they will drop another store into Alberta. It Aint never gonna happen. There are more sales in TX in one year than there is in all of Canada. It's all about Money.
I like denial, it gets me through the day
Old 01-11-2018, 01:16 PM

Most probable scenario is they will close Cabelas here when the lease runs out, and all we will have is Basspro. I don't even want to think about the incentives they gave Basspro to setup where they did. Another store won't happen within city limits on the south end, unless it costs them next to nothing to do it.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post
Edmonton has two..
Old 01-11-2018, 02:36 PM

Lets hope that Walmart sees this as an opportunity to get serious in the canadian market. They do pretty well in the US with their hunting and fishing department. If you look online at Walmart.com you see a good cross section of brands and prices are good.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasc43 View Post
Edmonton has two..
For now they do. The way of the future is going to be less overhead and that will mean less brick and mortar stores less stock on shelves and less staff.
I forget where i seen it but IIRC, Cabelas posted their net profits from a few years back and it wasn't that impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmatei View Post
Lets hope that Walmart sees this as an opportunity to get serious in the canadian market. They do pretty well in the US with their hunting and fishing department. If you look online at Walmart.com you see a good cross section of brands and prices are good.

If Wal Mart hasn't done it in all the years they have been in Canada it most likely isn't gonna happen. The Canadian gun laws will keep Wal Mart gun departments in the USA. Plus IIRC in the USA the gun makers will stock your store with guns and you can pay by installment. In Canada you pay the gun makers up front for your stock, thats why the big box stores have such a selection of guns down south.
Wal Mart in the USA also has there own fleet of trucks: Here in Canada they won't even consider buying their own fleet.

I would like to see some of the big box stores expand but the cost of stocking the shelves and overhead is saying things will go a different way. Plus society is leaning hard towards on line shopping more and more all the time. I remember years ago when I was young me and some buddys use to head to the states on a gun/ammo shopping, beer drinking weekend, but even that has changed now with Homeland Security. Times are changing and it's likely not gonna be getting better for us gun owners anytime soon. .....

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."
- Bob Hagel
Old 01-11-2018, 04:12 PM

As far as firearms and reloading supoes are concerned, I can do without Wholesale Sports, Cabelas or Bass Pro, and not suffer at all, bùt I have shopped there for clothing decoys, and other accessories. And Canadian Tire and Wal-Mart are pretty much useless for those items.