Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2017, 12:00 AM

Default Weird Experience Bow Hunting?

So I was walking back to my vehicle tonight after dark bow in hand. And a mid 90's chev passed me. Went down to the intersection and turned around. I thought no big deal obviously just a local neighbor looking to make sure I was alright to hunt. Ive been stopped by a lot of people before and never had an issue. Being pre-cautious I put and arrow in my bow and unclipped the buck knife on my hip. The truck came back by me, and slowed down but did not stop. They drove a couple hundred meters in front of me and stopped at my vehicle for a few minutes. After that another vehicle approached and the 90's chev drove up the road approximately 300M, to talk to the new vehicle.

They sat there while I got into my vehicle and drove off. The part that weirds me out about this is, most of the time when people are checking me as a hunter they stop and ask what your hunting, if you know so and so, etc.... These guys didnt do any of that. Which has me a bit paranoid, especially with the local break-ins and the cop shooting the other day. Should I be concerned, or am I just over thinking the situation?

FYI I called the land owner and he hadn't heard from anyone...
Old 10-21-2017, 01:39 AM

Basically they never stopped to bs with you so your scared they are going to burn your home? Lol, maybe not the social type. Don't let it bother you.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:23 AM
Banned

Where do you live that a stranger scared you so bad you actually prepped yourself for a fight you the death?
Old 10-21-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
Where do you live that a stranger scared you so bad you actually prepped yourself for a fight you the death?
Notleys Alberta.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:11 AM
Banned

I don’t see an issue with being prepared. You were alone in the dark away from any close by help and somebody does a slow drive by checking you out twice then confers with someone else before you vacate the area? I’d be exercising caution too. I once had a vehicle do the same to me in West Virginia late one night while I was pulled over in my transport on the side of a quiet out of the way two lane highway checking my map. When they made their third turn around to come back I thought this isn’t good and started moving. They followed me over twenty miles and finally turned back when I rolled onto the Interstate Hwy. With all the crap going down these days I think you are wise to be alert and prepared.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:18 AM

I wouldn't be worried unless it was a black dodge dually or you saw a pool noodle.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:58 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Well maybe they were looking for a date and you were not thier type!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-21-2017, 07:59 AM

The classic drug deal.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:16 AM

Ever see "Deliverance"?
Old 10-21-2017, 08:41 AM

IME, the easiest way to find out their intentions is to make a show of glassing them and writing down their vehicle information and plate number. Let them see you do this. You will find out real fast whether or not they are legitimate friends or neighbours of the land owner, or something else.
Stay sharp, don't be a victim.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 10-21-2017, 08:49 AM

Sounds like you inadvertently got in the middle of some guys attempt to by weed, he was probably as paranoid as you. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:58 AM
Banned

Talking

People are weird.

Your weird and they wanted no part of that.

Didn't see you with all your camo on. Good job!

Didn't care to have a chat with you, they had more important things too do.

They were going to kidnap you and and make you there hostage, but changed there mind when they noticed you have brown eyes. Brown eyes are a bad mojo.

That big fat doobey you smoked earlier is making you a tad paranoid.

They didn't want to bother you.

They were eyeballing a 200 class mule deer that was just off the road that you couldn't see.

They were working and don't like chit chatting with every dorky hunter they see.

They wanted to talk with you about the weather but you just looked so darn spooky.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerfart View Post
Sounds like you inadvertently got in the middle of some guys attempt to by weed, he was probably as paranoid as you. I wouldn't worry about it.
That could very well be, and makes a lot of sense. It's an isolated area just off the beaten path. Could see why they'd want to do a deal, not a lot of houses nearby.

As for those of you who think I'm paranoid. I don't think Im being paranoid when there has been multiple car jackings/robberies at gun point in the area, and the cops shot someone within a mile of my hunting spot in a stolen vehicle. I wasn't concerned they were going to kill me, more concerned they'd pull a gun on me and try to steal my vehicle.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
That could very well be, and makes a lot of sense. It's an isolated area just off the beaten path. Could see why they'd want to do a deal, not a lot of houses nearby.

As for those of you who think I'm paranoid. I don't think Im being paranoid when there has been multiple car jackings/robberies at gun point in the area, and the cops shot someone within a mile of my hunting spot in a stolen vehicle. I wasn't concerned they were going to kill me, more concerned they'd pull a gun on me and try to steal my vehicle.
You're not paranoid. Between the druggies, thieves, angry 'I own everything' guys, animal rights crazies and more equals, being prepared while alone in the country is a good thing. Sad that it's got to this state.

That being said....drug deal. Your vehicle just happened to be in the way.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
So I was walking back to my vehicle tonight after dark bow in hand. And a mid 90's chev passed me. Went down to the intersection and turned around. I thought no big deal obviously just a local neighbor looking to make sure I was alright to hunt. Ive been stopped by a lot of people before and never had an issue. Being pre-cautious I put and arrow in my bow and unclipped the buck knife on my hip. The truck came back by me, and slowed down but did not stop. They drove a couple hundred meters in front of me and stopped at my vehicle for a few minutes. After that another vehicle approached and the 90's chev drove up the road approximately 300M, to talk to the new vehicle.

They sat there while I got into my vehicle and drove off. The part that weirds me out about this is, most of the time when people are checking me as a hunter they stop and ask what your hunting, if you know so and so, etc.... These guys didnt do any of that. Which has me a bit paranoid, especially with the local break-ins and the cop shooting the other day. Should I be concerned, or am I just over thinking the situation?

FYI I called the land owner and he hadn't heard from anyone...
did they tell you "you gotta purdy mouf"?
Old 10-21-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
I wouldn't be worried unless it was a black dodge dually or you saw a pool noodle.
Dont forget to take a knee
Old 10-21-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:

I 100 % agree with how you reacted. I don't bow hunt but if I was in that situation the safety would have been in the off position on the ought six.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
You're not paranoid. Between the druggies, thieves, angry 'I own everything' guys, animal rights crazies and more equals, being prepared while alone in the country is a good thing. Sad that it's got to this state.

That being said....drug deal. Your vehicle just happened to be in the way.
Not sure on the drug deal thing, but for sure could be, but definitely agree with 3blade on the above.

You never freakin know anymore.!!! Better to be prepared than not.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:03 PM

These days you never know, all kinds of nuts with shotguns shooting at trucks.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-22-2017, 12:53 PM
Banned

Wildlife doesn't have devious intentions but humans do. When my wife and I are remote camping we never give wildlife a second thought but when a vehicle pulls in after midnight then I become very vigilant and prepared.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:49 PM

We had a lady and her husband harass us in the bow zone right west of Calgary for a long long time pulling the same type of stuff.

We used to hunt out there a few days after school each day during the season and most weekends.

The first time they started these shenanigans were "questioning me" but after they figured out I had permission, they resorted to burning up and down the road and would sometimes honk their horn (maybe thinking they were scaring the deer away or something).

I flagged the lady down after one of these incident ans she reluctantly stopped and told her what she was doing was illegal (interfering with a hunt) and that I had her plate number and know where she lived and told her I wouldn't hesitate to call the authorities if she and her husband weren't going to stop.

After that they seemed to resort to driving up and down the adjacent road where my truck was parked and taking pictures.

Problem (for them) was my tree stands and a few blinds were far enough away that it wasn't too much of an issue I guess.

In my case, Just silly old people I guess.

It could be something as simple as that - some people don't like hunters and they find a way to harass or intimidate you.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:57 AM

When I'm hunting, I do my best to not be seen by anyone else. For example, in the situation mentioned by the OP as soon as I see the vehicle headed my way, I duck into the bush, or hide behind a tree, and hide so they don't know I'm there. And then watch what they do. Always been like that, call it paranoia, whatever you like, but that would have done the trick for the OP.

Just sayin'
Old 10-23-2017, 11:00 AM

Could it not have been the local "Citizens on Patrol" organization.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:33 PM

I wonder what these guys thought about a lone figure nocking an arrow and getting knife ready to greet them. Weird is a very relative term.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-71 View Post
I wonder what these guys thought about a lone figure nocking an arrow and getting knife ready to greet them. Weird is a very relative term.
Hahaha yup, paradigm strikes again
Old 10-23-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-71 View Post
No kidding. If I was a local bombing up and down the roads I'd be telling my neighbors to keep an eye out for you.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvaark View Post
When I'm hunting, I do my best to not be seen by anyone else. For example, in the situation mentioned by the OP as soon as I see the vehicle headed my way, I duck into the bush, or hide behind a tree, and hide so they don't know I'm there. And then watch what they do. Always been like that, call it paranoia, whatever you like, but that would have done the trick for the OP.

Just sayin'
I agree, but I was in the middle of an open pasture. Pretty hard to duck behind a tree or bush!
Old 10-23-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ren008 View Post
No kidding. If I was a local bombing up and down the roads I'd be telling my neighbors to keep an eye out for you.
LOL, sure. Ive stopped and chatted up a bunch of hunters, would have no issue if they were walking with an arrow knocked with whats going on around our place.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:50 PM

No harm in being cautious!
Old 10-24-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
LOL, sure. Ive stopped and chatted up a bunch of hunters, would have no issue if they were walking with an arrow knocked with whats going on around our place.
How do you distinguish between the hunters and the ones wanting to steal your vehicle?