Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-21-2017, 09:06 AM

Default Ammo over the counter groupings

Hey shooters,

I am relatively new with hunting and shooting, put maybe 200 rounds down the barrel. Anyway I am getting curious about trying different over the counter rounds through my rifles to see what ammo gives me the best grouping with my rifles. However with that being said through my little bit of trials I have found most of my groupings are comparable regardless of the brand of ammo. I have always heard that certain guns prefer certain ammo. I haven't noticed much difference and some ammo is expensive so to try and buy multiple different brands to see which brand my rifle likes best is very expensive. Can I get some of your feedback?

I know I am going to get lots of people telling me to stop buying over the counter ammo if I am concerned about groupings and reload for myself however I am really not interested in reloading at this point as I barely have enough time to make it out hunting sometimes so I don't feel I have the time to start reloading at this stage maybe in the future.

I currently have a Remington 30-06 7600 and a Tikka T3 superlite 7MM
Old 10-21-2017, 09:10 AM

Some rifles shoot a few brands of ammo well. Lucky to have a gun like that. My Ruger only likes hornady.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:20 AM

If you are hunting this year buy over the counter snd spend your time practicing not reloading. Dont just shoot off a bench. Actually stop and shoot laying down , sitting etc. Deer elk etc dont come and punch in the time-clocks ata shooting bench.

Save your brass from factory rounds.

Reload over the winter months without feeling time crunched.you should never beginto learn or even experienced reload under these conditions. Usethe factory brass to getthe feel of it.

Next year you will know what you will use.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:25 AM

I have some guns that with the right factory ammo will shoot 1/2" or better. My latest Weatherby MKV in 257 will do that with Weatherby Select ammo, 3 into just over .3". It will put 3 hand loads in the same hole, can't tell without a magnifying glass that it is more than one hole. The difference isn't worth much in a hunting gun so I would have no issues shooting factory fodder out of this gun.

I had a 7x57 that would put 3 Sellier and Bellot in the same hole a 100 yards and under an inch at 300. It took me a real long time to develop a hand load that shot that well.

If you are getting an inch or less, shoot whatever it does that with. If you are over an inch, one of the factory loads will likely get you under.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:32 AM

thanks for some of the replies, my 7mm will shoot an inch or less with multiple ammo. My 30-06 does not and I have tried 2 different brands, any ideas on a cheaper way of trying different brands without having to buy a box of everything?
Old 10-21-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbshunt View Post
thanks for some of the replies, my 7mm will shoot an inch or less with multiple ammo. My 30-06 does not and I have tried 2 different brands, any ideas on a cheaper way of trying different brands without having to buy a box of everything?
What are you using make and bullet plus weight. What groips with each?
Old 10-21-2017, 10:05 AM

I have tried federal Premium 30-06 180 grain and I have also tried Hornady precision hunter eld-x 178 grain. both give me around a 2" group at 100 yards
Old 10-21-2017, 11:13 AM

Try some Federal Blue boc in 150 or 165. You may find that rem likes lighter bullets better. As far as saving moeny on buing full boxes, no suggestions other then to have some one hwo relaodsload you a variety of weights of different bullets so you can hit on the weight range and bullet style/type the gun likes best
Old 10-21-2017, 11:29 AM

Figure out the twist in your barrel and sometimes the right weight plus twist can narrow it down,if your not into hole for hole a 2 inch group is all you need if you stay within a certain distance,unless you want to anchor him with an eye shot.

The big thing with factory ammo is your length or coal,the bullet may be perfect for your gun,but it's just a bit far of your lands,nothing you can do about it unless you reload and have the no how to do it.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:37 AM

I have a .308 Tikka and have shot Remington, Winchester, Federal, and Barnes ammo through it. All have shot great as far as I've noticed. I've had a number of sub-moa 'wallet groups' with all the ammo, however I'm not an incredible shooter, and I probably average 1.5-2" groups at 100 yards. I've been loving the Barnes TTSX though.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:33 PM

Thanks