Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-24-2015, 08:55 AM

Default Homeowner Running a Gas Line Underground

So I am thinking of building a ground level deck off of an existing deck. I planned to have my gas BBQ on the ground level deck (I so much prefer gas over propane). It would likely be 25 feet from the house. It will be part of a new home construction.

I know propane would be so much simpler, but I hate filling tanks. Does anyone foresee a potential problem?
Old 06-24-2015, 09:14 AM

Smile No

Just make sure that you have what ever permits you need and a qualified gas fitter make all the connections and you'll never run out of gas or need to hook up another bottle, or pay that horrible price for gas.

NG is not as hot as propane so what was a 2 drink steak may turn out to be a 3 drink one.

I dug the trench and layed the pipe and the plumber made the hook up.

It is the only way to go if you have NG available!
Old 06-24-2015, 09:17 AM

This is done frequently, I'll install trenched gas lines for garages, fire pits, BBQ's, patio heaters..... The line should be properly sized but your gasfitter can take care of that. Homeowners cannot pull gas permits, while its possible with electrical and plumbing permits they do not issue homeowners gas permits. An important aspect is to make sure its very secure where it rises out of the ground, as attaching and detaching hoses will torque on it; it should be attached to an adjacent structure, wall, heavy rockwork, etc. I'll sometimes drive down a 5' or longer galvanized grounding-rod as an attachment point when other options aren't feasible.

Edit, densa's claim about heat differences is partly correct, but not to the extent he claims. Propane is more dense and has greater BTU/ft2 but the temperatures they burn at is too close to split hairs over. If that is the case its the burner orifices rather than the fuel to blame.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
This is done frequently, I'll install trenched gas lines for garages, fire pits, BBQ's, patio heaters..... The line should be properly sized but your gasfitter can take care of that. Homeowners cannot pull gas permits, while its possible with electrical and plumbing permits they do not issue homeowners gas permits. An important aspect is to make sure its very secure where it rises out of the ground, as attaching and detaching hoses will torque on it; it should be attached to an adjacent structure, wall, heavy rockwork, etc. I'll sometimes drive down a 5' or longer galvanized grounding-rod as an attachment point when other options aren't feasible.

Edit, densa's claim about heat differences is partly correct, but not to the extent he claims. Propane is more dense and has greater BTU/ft2 but the temperatures they burn at is too close to split hairs over. If that is the case its the burner orifices rather than the fuel to blame.
Thanks Caber.

I was thinking about this this morning. The issue is, the home is being built this summer, while the deck won't be completed until the landscaping is done. If I don't have this done with the home construction, I will get stuck with a larger bill.

Do you think a gas fitter wold leave the pipe buried if no structure was there?
Old 06-24-2015, 09:40 AM

I've not seen such a thing happen, but its certainly possible. I often have to install before the landscapers and did so recently over at Sundancefisher's. The thing is getting it inspected before backfilling, which involves a pressure test and also protecting it from damage during the subsequent construction. Placing some large rocks or other protective structure around the ground penetrations should suffice, and sleeving it in a larger poly pipe helps as well. Its can be run in polyethylene pipe with manufactured steel risers, type K soft copper tubing or even sleeved CSST (stainless steel) tubing, the material choice is partly dictated by the length of the run, for long runs the poly option being the best. The steel risers for the poly are pricey, but as the line length increases this is offset by the lower price of the poly tubing. Minimum bury depth is 18".
Old 06-24-2015, 09:43 AM

Awesome.

Thanks for the help Caber.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:58 AM

About 10 years ago I had a gas line run to my garage by a qualified plumber/gas fitter. My existing deck was/is 3 feet above ground. He ran the gas line ( steel ) under the joists of the deck out to the edge,( 40 - 50 ft. ) then under ground to the garage. Rather than digging 60 - 70 feet only had to dig about 15 ft. The BBQ outlet is located at the edge of the deck. Not sure if this is still legal or not but it could be a possibility for you. All was inspected.
Ask a gas fitter.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:11 AM

I'll definitely talk to my contractor.

I was just thinking about it on the drive this morning, realistically the ground level deck I want may not be built until next Spring. I was wondering if leaving that line capped in the ground or above ground that long would meet code.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:04 PM

Have your line capped above ground at the foundation and hire Caber when your ready to run it to your location. Easy peasy.

Dodger
Old 06-24-2015, 12:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
Just make sure that you have what ever permits you need and a qualified gas fitter make all the connections and you'll never run out of gas or need to hook up another bottle, or pay that horrible price for gas.

NG is not as hot as propane so what was a 2 drink steak may turn out to be a 3 drink one.

I dug the trench and layed the pipe and the plumber made the hook up.

It is the only way to go if you have NG available!

Fuel Gas

Combustion with Air
(oC)

Acetylene 2500
Butane 1970
Carbon Monoxide 2121
Ethane 1955
Hydrogen 2210
MAPP1) 2010
Methane 1950
Natural Gas 1960
Propane 1967
Propane Butane Mix 1970
Old 06-24-2015, 12:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Homeowners cannot pull gas permits, while its possible with electrical and plumbing permits they do not issue homeowners gas permits.
is this new or a county dependent thing or maybe not applicable to propane?

i did all my own gas lines with a permit from leduc county and everything was approved.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
is this new or a county dependent thing or maybe not applicable to propane?

i did all my own gas lines with a permit from leduc county and everything was approved.
I'm speaking to the City of Calgary permit requirements, rural folk might have more leeway in that regard as they'd only blow up their own house, not the neighbors to either side

Last edited by CaberTosser; 06-24-2015 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm speaking to the City of Calgary permit requirements, rural folk might have more leeway in that regard as its they'd only blow up their own house, not the neighbors to either side
ok good to know
Old 06-24-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
ok good to know
Just be extra careful, here's an example why soap-testing is a good idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdq3CLSUlZA
Old 06-24-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
Have your line capped above ground at the foundation and hire Caber when your ready to run it to your location. Easy peasy.

Dodger
It is a long drive to my place from Calgary...................but if Caber is willing to accept beer in lieu of mileage charges, he's got a job!
Old 06-24-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
I'm speaking to the City of Calgary permit requirements, rural folk might have more leeway in that regard as they'd only blow up their own house, not the neighbors to either side
Strathcona county and us folks in beaumont can pull a homeowners permit! Kinda scary really.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
Strathcona county and us folks in beaumont can pull a homeowners permit! Kinda scary really.
How so? If a permit is pulled, an inspection is done to make sure that all of the work is up to code, just like if a certified tradesmen pulled the permit. Not everyone has the know how to take on such a project though.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCTHEMI View Post
How so? If a permit is pulled, an inspection is done to make sure that all of the work is up to code, just like if a certified tradesmen pulled the permit. Not everyone has the know how to take on such a project though.
Hey lots of people will do their due diligence but lots won't. Of the 6 houses in my court I'm the only one that pulls permits. Everyone jokes about me being "that guy" lol.
And have you pulled a permit lately? most inspectors only really inspect their truck cab.
Also who can do the proper sizing calculations? It's not just as easy as running a line. Take from the wrong place with wrong size and kaboom. No more eyebrows!
Old 06-24-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
Hey lots of people will do their due diligence but lots won't. Of the 6 houses in my court I'm the only one that pulls permits. Everyone jokes about me being "that guy" lol.

And have you pulled a permit lately? most inspectors only really inspect their truck cab.

Also who can do the proper sizing calculations? It's not just as easy as running a line. Take from the wrong place with wrong size and kaboom. No more eyebrows!

I have, just finished up the basement of my house. I know what you are saying about the inspectors though. I think homeowner permits are a great thing. Saved me over 4K in electrical work in my basement for just the rough in that would have been done by the apprentice. I know my work was good and to code. Not much can be done about those won't pull a permit wether they are allowed to or not.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:28 PM

While this may not be technically correct, if you want to do it yourself its not that difficult to connect a stub from the house to your BBQ. A gas line isn't high pressure, a few wraps of the gas tape around the fittings, tighten her up, and you should be good to go. I did the gas line in my garage with no problems, just checked the connections with soapy water to check for leaks prior to use.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
The inspection is performed prior to the new line being tied in with the existing pressurized line, therefore the fittings and piping involved in the final tie-in are only inspected by the installer afterwards (hopefully an actual gasfitter, or at least a competent person).
Old 06-24-2015, 11:20 PM

Mine was inspected after the tie in was completed if I recall correctly. Maybe I was just a bad boy for hooking it all up before the inspector came.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Mine was inspected after the tie in was completed if I recall correctly. Maybe I was just a bad boy for hooking it all up before the inspector came.
Geesh, quite the 'inspector' you got then. Real thorough. When a professional gasfitter runs a line it is then tested with a pressure guage set-up screwed to it, the needle should not drop or it indicates a leak (though often a temperature drop explains this as well, or sometimes the pressure increases when it has direct sun on it). Anyways, standard operating procedure is a pressure test and inspection prior to final tie-in.