Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-26-2017, 08:18 AM

Default Discount increases

Thought start a thread that if your in wss and see there % off rising in area's post it and let others know. They are starting to increase discounts slowly.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:27 AM

Shelves are still full, truck loads of pallets sitting in the back. They will play this up for months or until they run out of fools.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:30 AM

Arrow Nothing New Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzukisam View Post
Thought start a thread that if your in wss and see there % off rising in area's post it and let others know. They are starting to increase discounts slowly.
When pretty much any retailer goes through the process of slowly closing their doors, this ^ is standard procedure.

I don't fault WS for doing the same. It's good business practice
Old 09-26-2017, 11:55 AM

I'm sure the discounts on some items will see a large increase after hunting season. Right now they'll try and squeeze every penny out of people that they can.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:25 PM

They will show record profits this year, their product is so massively overpriced even with discounts they are higher than retail.
Quite the scam.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-26-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
They will show record profits this year, their product is so massively overpriced even with discounts they are higher than retail.
Quite the scam.
And Cabelas charges even more for many items.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And Cabelas charges even more for many items.
if they join with BPS and prices climb higher every hunter fisher gatherer from Canada will shop online exclusively

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-26-2017, 12:39 PM

This all reminds me of that furniture store on the weat end that was going out of business for years. Think it was Finesse?

Great marketting!
Old 09-26-2017, 05:22 PM

I'm heading to the city tomorrow and I'm looking for a smoker.

What are the discounts at now?
Old 09-26-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post

I'm heading to the city tomorrow and I'm looking for a smoker.

What are the discounts at now?

For all things Wholesale Sports ... http://www.wholesalesports.com/

Selkirk
Old 09-26-2017, 06:02 PM

Thanks
Old 09-26-2017, 06:30 PM

*up to 30% off

(jacked up retail + 40% then drop 5%, 10% off bass lures, 15% off electric toques, 30% off everything not in stock)

Old 09-26-2017, 06:40 PM

I got 30% off a set of scope rings last week. Their listed price was pretty much in line with everyone else
Old 09-26-2017, 09:12 PM

Default no price matching either

bought a enforcer ozone machine at Cabelas because WS has them on for regular price less 10% - still cheaper at cabelas

Being defeated is optional!
Old 09-26-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Quite the scam.
Whatever. Some of you guys need to do more and talk less.

-Billy Molls
Old 09-26-2017, 09:35 PM

A $600 jacket costs $40 to buy wholesale. They sell with any discount it is easy money as they don't sit on the merchandise for long.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-26-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
A $600 jacket costs $40 to buy wholesale. They sell with any discount it is easy money as they don't sit on the merchandise for long.
You should open a retail outlet then.

-Billy Molls
Old 09-26-2017, 10:23 PM

Look at the trucks your driving. $10,000 cash back my ass. The sticker is jacked up but the odd sucker buys into it. That's the retail world.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzukisam View Post
Look at the trucks your driving. $10,000 cash back my ass. The sticker is jacked up but the odd sucker buys into it. That's the retail world.
yup
Old 09-27-2017, 09:13 AM

Default Small items 50 - 100 %

No secret that there are multiple levels of markup, much of it offshore for tax purposes.

BUTTTT at 50 % off, they are getting close to break even on small items.

A lot of merchandise is not owned by the Retailer on the big chains, or there is a net pay 90 Days plus, or only paid on sale.

That is the secret of Wal Mart by the way, the manufacturer takes the risk of carrying cost, because of volume, and gets paid on sale. Then if the retailer has to discount to move stuff, the supplier gets leaned on for more discounts.

Drewski
Old 09-27-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
This is not correct in anyway.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madball View Post
This is not correct in anyway.
Actually most people have no clue how huge the mark up is on some products. Clothing is one.

I have bought at cost plus 10% from friends that work at retail stores.

This is the reason why when a company has a going out of business sale they have a massive increase in inventory all marketed down significantly.

I have also looked into wholesale clothing for my hobby website. I was shocked how low it costs...realizing you are not buying 1...but a wholesale quantify.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-27-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Actually most people have no clue how huge the mark up is on some products. Clothing is one.

I have bought at cost plus 10% from friends that work at retail stores.

This is the reason why when a company has a going out of business sale they have a massive increase in inventory all marketed down significantly.

I have also looked into wholesale clothing for my hobby website. I was shocked how low it costs...realizing you are not buying 1...but a wholesale quantify.
I'm fairly up to speed on margins and retail mark-up. There are a lot of products that you can triple or quadruple your investment on. High end hunting clothing just isn't one of them. The only jacket that wholesale sports is going to have in their stores is going to say Sitka on it. Having personally seen Sitka pricelists directly from the manufacturer I can tell you that the absolute ceiling margin is 45%-50%. Most stores (and i'm betting WSS is one of them) are going to make 30%-35% on high end hunting clothing. So that $600 jacket is going to cost WSS a minimum of $350-$400 to get it onto the rack in the store.

Last edited by madball; 09-27-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm fairly up to speed on margins and retail mark-up. There are a lot of products that you can triple or quadruple your investment on. High end hunting clothing just isn't one of them. The only jacket that wholesale sports is going to have in their stores is going to say Sitka on it. Having personally seen Sitka pricelists directly from the manufacturer I can tell you that the absolute ceiling margin is 45%-50%. Most stores (and i'm betting WSS is one of them) are going to make 30%-35% on high end hunting clothing. So that $600 jacket is going to cost WSS a minimum of $350-$400 to get it onto the rack in the store.
And that’s cash price, not factoring the multiple steps of Labour to get it there, from the initial order to on the hanger on the floor. I was a department manager in retail. I paid cost plus 10% on a lot of items. The more expensive it is, typically the less markup. Most stores will make their money on the small items, ammo and lures would be two great examples in the case of an outdoor store. They will make more money but less percentage on a rifle or shotgun or something high dollar but they’ll sell a heck of a lot less of them.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
And that’s cash price, not factoring the multiple steps of Labour to get it there, from the initial order to on the hanger on the floor. I was a department manager in retail. I paid cost plus 10% on a lot of items. The more expensive it is, typically the less markup. Most stores will make their money on the small items, ammo and lures would be two great examples in the case of an outdoor store. They will make more money but less percentage on a rifle or shotgun or something high dollar but they’ll sell a heck of a lot less of them.
Bingo.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgavey View Post
Shelves are still full, truck loads of pallets sitting in the back. They will play this up for months or until they run out of fools.
The shelves are starting to empty out in the Yellowhead location. Still no great deals though
Old 09-27-2017, 08:46 PM

One of my apprentices girlfriend works for a clothing retailer as a purchaser. She flies all over Canada and the US buying clothing. On average there is a 6-800% markup on clothing. Maybe not on hunting jackets or hunting clothing in general as that would be a relatively small market. However all that Columbia and Under Armor clothing definitely would be as it would cross over into other retail areas.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ZL1 View Post
One of my apprentices girlfriend works for a clothing retailer as a purchaser. She flies all over Canada and the US buying clothing. On average there is a 6-800% markup on clothing. Maybe not on hunting jackets or hunting clothing in general as that would be a relatively small market. However all that Columbia and Under Armor clothing definitely would be as it would cross over into other retail areas.
You don't think there is a huge mark up on hunting clothes? I don't understand why just because it's camo it must cost a ton.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Could vary by brand name. Some stores could lowering their margin.

Bought a goretex raincoat. Store price $600. I paid $40.

I can't see WSS with as poor a margin as you stated above. That would not be wholesale price direct from warehouse. It would have middlemen factored in. Not sure why that would be unless brand named and brokered. Most stores sell under their own label. Dicker on those prices should work better.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Could vary by brand name. Some stores could lowering their margin.

Bought a goretex raincoat. Store price $600. I paid $40.

I can't see WSS with as poor a margin as you stated above. That would not be wholesale price direct from warehouse. It would have middlemen factored in. Not sure why that would be unless brand named and brokered. Most stores sell under their own label. Dicker on those prices should work better.
I have seen direct "wholesale" prices on First Lite, Sitka, Arc'teryx, Badlands, 5.11 Tactical, core4element, Under Armour and many others and the margins are all basically the same, if you can double the input price you're laughing and you aren't laughing that often.

Last edited by madball; 09-28-2017 at 10:26 AM.