Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-30-2017, 11:37 AM

Default This Mornings Goose Hunt

Home from a semi successful goose hunt. The scouting had us on the right spot in the field, and we set up our decoys and blinds according to the wind. Just as we completed our setup, we tested the wind again, and it had shifted 90 degrees. We made a quick adjustment for the wind, and the geese started arriving.First a single white fronted goose came in, and was dropped into the decoys.Then another small flock came in, and we picked three out of that flock. By now the wind had shifted another 90 degrees, and the geese were coming in from over our shoulder, and we only managed three out of the next couple of flocks. At that point, we decided it was too late to make another change, so we carried on and hoped for the best. However the geese started flying by at a distance or too high. We knew that there was an issue with our spread, and by the time we realized that the decoys were now wet and shiny, the geese had stopped flying in our vicinity. The geese were coming in with the sun at their back, and with the sun in our eyes, we didn't notice the shine. In the end, instead of a limit of white fronted geese, we ended up with seven between the four of us. Had the wind not changed so much, and had we noticed the moisture on the decoys, we would have done much better, but spending time in the field with friends, was still a great way to spend a morning. If it was all about meat, we would have just gone to the supermarket.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:56 PM

It was definitely a nice way to spend the day. Looking forward to the next shoot!
Old 09-30-2017, 03:23 PM

Default Way to go boys

Those are just a few of the things that can go wrong on a goose hunt.

There are lots more things that can cross you up too; but on the day everything goes according to plan you remember forever.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:20 PM

Yes a lot can go wrong, but after going through the process of scouting, getting permission, walking around a field in the dark to plant a flag on the feeding spot, and then getting up super early to set up, it sure feels good to see those geese coming into the decoys, on those days when things do go right.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:32 PM

Funny, we had exactly the same experience today east of Edmonton but we were lucky. Got our limit.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:40 AM

Got 10 between 2 of us yesterday. Crazy for an hour, then nothing.

Sitting in blind now, looks perfect, cloudy, winds dying down. Nothing moved last night that I saw, should be a great morning. Then home for some football and watch that big storm roll in.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:06 AM

There are tens of thousands of geese within a few miles of where we were hunting, but there were also several groups hunting, so the birds are moving from field to field. I am going to leave them alone until near the end of the week, and then do more scouting, and see what we can do next weekend.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:11 AM

Just remember if anyone is wearing glasses keep your head down. The sun reflecting of the glass will look just like a flashlight to the geese.
I found this out when out to pick up a cripple goose. Looked back at my bud in the blind to see his glasses flashing like a mirror. We didn't know why the geese were not coming to the deeks.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgavey View Post
Just remember if anyone is wearing glasses keep your head down. The sun reflecting of the glass will look just like a flashlight to the geese.
I found this out when out to pick up a cripple goose. Looked back at my bud in the blind to see his glasses flashing like a mirror. We didn't know why the geese were not coming to the deeks.
Nobody was wearing glasses. Between the wet decoys, and the changing wind, the geese just weren't finishing, and once there were a couple of hundred geese on the ground a few hundred yards away, our small spread lost all attraction.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:16 AM

Damn wind picking up. Theyre flying, but going right by without a look
Old 10-01-2017, 01:31 PM

We did alright this morning. Shot a limit of dark geese. It took quite a bit longer than expected as some yahoo's decided to wail at roosting birds on the water from the road, then followed them over to the field we were set up in and started "sneaking" our spread(after we had already shot the passers)until they realized what the deal was. Luckily that field had birds from three different water bodies so we salvaged a good outing.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
We did alright this morning. Shot a limit of dark geese. It took quite a bit longer than expected as some yahoo's decided to wail at roosting birds on the water from the road, then followed them over to the field we were set up in and started "sneaking" our spread(after we had already shot the passers)until they realized what the deal was. Luckily that field had birds from three different water bodies so we salvaged a good outing.
Nothing like doing all the work to put together a proper shoot, and having some lazy fools mess things up for you, because they can't be bothered to organize their own shoot.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Nothing like doing all the work to put together a proper shoot, and having some lazy fools mess things up for you, because they can't be bothered to organize their own shoot.
Very true but it wasn't the first and certainly won't be the last time. Roll with the punches. Got to see my friends son bring down his first Canada so regardless of how the entire morning unfolded, all in all it was a win.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:01 PM

Last Sunday the thing that made our shoot was the number of birds that came at legal light and very shortly after. We had frost on the dekes as we set up, on a bluebird, no wind morning, and it was a dicey spot as well. But, birds came early and we shot good. Next weekend I have my two wks to get hard at it. Looking forward to it.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:31 PM

Not a classic morning but turned out very good.

We have permission on three adjoining pea fields. Problem was the geese were feeding in a field 1/4 further over and on another 1/2 mile south that were no hunting. To get to where they were feeding they came off the roost and fly over a corner of one of the fields we had permission on. The wind was strong quartering on the tails as they were coming out. The only chance we had was seeing if we could get a few to decoy on the way in or on the way back.

We set up on the fence line furthest out so they could see the dekes for a ways as they were coming over. For first thing in the morning I put out 1 dz white silo socks with 4 dz magnum shells arranged in family groups. I took down the silo's once the sun was up. We were able to pick away at singles, doubles and some small flocks. Three guys and 24 dark geese wrapped up by 10:30. Not a classic with an early limit but in many ways better as the wind created some challenges for shooting (fast in, slow back, quick turns) and the length of time out in the field gave more time for coffee discussions. The wind kept the deke's dry so no issues on this for us.

Interesting with the bag ranging from some good sized greater's to a number of very small cackler's. I weighed out the dressed meat (including leg meat) for 18 birds that we ground for jerky and had 29 lbs. Lot's of smaller birds.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:52 AM

A much better morning today. More decoys , and better setup, provided 18 White fronted geese, 3 Canadas, and 3 snows.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:27 PM

I was hunting with sns2, his son, and kenned, and everyone had a great time. None of us has a great deal of experience hunting waterfowl, but we are learning fast, and we are putting in the effort to properly scout and set up for success.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:27 PM

Nice haul. Got skunked this am. Wind just went crazy.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:47 PM

Elkhunter11,
It was a fun day shooting geese and you did an awesome job scouting and calling them in. Can't wait for the next shoot.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:50 PM

Great day by the looks of it and looks like it'll be a great thanksgiving dinner!
Old 10-21-2017, 01:08 PM

Another good shoot with sns2, kennedy, and one other fellow. Twenty three Canadas, and four white fronted geese. The hunt almost never happened, as the geese were not in the planned field last night, or my alternate field, so I had about 30 minutes of daylight to find another field, and then get permission last night.

Old 10-21-2017, 01:22 PM

Had that issue, and result, a few times this year, with some fields I really wasn't too sure about. But, it all worked out. That's where persistence in scouting and spotting birds pays off about 98% of the time. There are also days when figuring out who's farming it, or just managing to get hold of the landowner, will give you grey hair, or cause you to pull out the remaining ones.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
Had that issue, and result, a few times this year, with some fields I really wasn't too sure about. But, it all worked out. That's where persistence in scouting and spotting birds pays off about 98% of the time. There are also days when figuring out who's farming it, or just managing to get hold of the landowner, will give you grey hair, or cause you to pull out the remaining ones.
Many people don't realize how much time is spent scouting, in order to find a field that will provide a good shoot. I have been beaten for permission by other hunters once this year, and I encountered two landowners that don't allow hunting, and one that I could not locate, but for the most part, I have been able to get permission, and the hunts have worked out.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:23 PM

Another great morning, this time with kennedy, pixel shooter ,sns2 and his son. A limit of 40 geese, and 34 ducks as well. S0me really nice greater Canada geese this morning.

Old 10-28-2017, 01:45 PM

Quite a hunt! Good job guys. Quite a bit of processing to do
Old 10-29-2017, 09:59 AM

''If it was all about meat, we would have just gone to the supermarket.''

Don't think I'll be getting any specks this season...can you let me know the supermarket?
Old 10-29-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
''If it was all about meat, we would have just gone to the supermarket.''

Don't think I'll be getting any specks this season...can you let me know the supermarket?

The meat isn't my priority on a hunt but sometimes things just come together, and the result is a lot of meat. If a person added up the cost of the fuel, licenses, decoys, blinds, firearms, ammunition etc, it would probably be cheaper to buy our meat.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The meat isn't my priority on a hunt but sometimes things just come together, and the result is a lot of meat. If a person added up the cost of the fuel, licenses, decoys, blinds, firearms, ammunition etc, it would probably be cheaper to buy our meat.
Well maybe not... have you priced out a tame goose from the market?
Times that by 32 and see what you get ...lol.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:02 PM

Awesome job Elk!

Love those hunts when it all works out.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
Well maybe not... have you priced out a tame goose from the market?
Times that by 32 and see what you get ...lol.
Start with a $1000 shotgun, $500 in decoys, $200 blind,, $400 in hunting clothes, $50 in licenses, $25 per day in ammunition, $100 per week in scouting for each hunt, and see how many geese it takes to come out ahead. And my investment in decoys and gear is quite small compared to many people.