Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-14-2017, 07:28 AM
Banned

Default Grande Prairie Chrysler service rant. Am I right or wrong?

Well the story goes like this.

August 2016 I bought a new ram 3500 from Grande prairie Chrysler. For the most part the buying process was good lol. I've only had my truck serviced at gp Chrysler. So anyways in may last year after oil change and tire rotation I'm coming home from work and the rear right wheel passes me. I pick up the pieces and call tow truck. Finally get into gp Chrysler at 3 am. I talked to the service manager and he agreed over torqued wheel studs and no problem they'll have it fixed. End result new tire,rim,brake caliper,rotor,studs,lug nuts and 10 days lost income due to not having my truck.

In the meantime I bought the wife a new ram 1500. So now I've got about $140000 spent at gp Chrysler on trucks.

Fast forward to August this year. Oil change, tire rotation at gp Chrysler. Perfect. Set to go on a hunting trip up north. Had a great time hunting until it was time to come home. About 80 km from any cel service or civilization the left rear wheel departed. This time causing $5500 in body damage. Caught a ride to cel service where I was put in touch with local handyman mechanic type. Used studs, chev lug nuts, spare tire and a overnight stay in the truck we're on the road again. Get to gp Chrysler 2 days later and yep probable over torqued studs again. End result is 32 new studs, new rim and tire. This is perfect but my box is still not fixed and I'll have to go through my insurance. I said "that's not right you guys effed up twice and now I've got to pay for your mistake." Yep thats what they expect me to do. So after a heated exchange with the gm , who imo is a **** poor choice to represent a company, I'm now two weeks waiting for the owner to do what I'm figuring is proper and pay to fix my truck. Last he said is he'll pay the $500 deductible. Big flipping deal. What about my insurance going up $1300?

As it stands now I'm in the market for a new truck for the wife after her accident. Although my sales guy was good guy and his hands are tied I'm finding it hard to purchase a vehicle from gp Chrysler and am leaning on going the other direction to inland in Dawson creek.

Thoughts on this matter is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10-14-2017, 07:49 AM

Something to consider- most dealerships are lucky to generate a small profit from new vehicle sales; they make most of their money from their service bays and some from used vehicle sales. Buying another Chrysler somewhere else and getting it serviced in GP won't teach this dealership a thing. The biggest impact impact will be to the salesperson; lost sale and commission.

Unskilled, uncaring, poor quality service techs are the root cause of the issue, and they can be found at any dealership, next is the lack of training and supervision.
Hope the owner makes this right for you.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 10-14-2017, 08:02 AM

I don't know about your next purchase but I'd certainly change where you are getting your vehicles serviced!
And I agree, the dealer should be fixing your body damage as far as I'm concerned.

On a side note, they must be using some pretty cheap wheel studs.
Torquing wheel nuts is a relatively new thing, years ago on the farm we just tightened wheel nuts as tight as we possibly could, usually to the point where you needed a snipe on the wrench to undo them and we never broke any studs that I can remember. We hauled some horrible over weight loads pretty regularly too!
Old 10-14-2017, 08:25 AM

I bought my truck from there. Their service department is terrible and I haven’t been back.

I got bigger tires, so I went in and asked them if they could reprogram the speedometer to the new tires. Service writer said yup no problem. Got the truck back and all they did was reflash it to the stock tires. I had already paid at this point and they said “oh sorry, we can only flash to the stock tire size” and they wouldn’t give me my money back.

I also had the road hazard warranty for tires, and I cut one while hunting (just driving down gravel) and I took it in and they said that it’s goodyear that warranties it. So I went to goodyear and they said it’s dodge. Went back and they wouldn’t warranty the tire by saying I was off-roading. Last I checked a gravel road is still a road.

I haven’t been back. Actually every dodge dealer I’ve been to with the exception of 1 has been slimy.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:42 AM

Try going higher up the food chain. Phone Chrysler Canada and explain what happened. Not saying it will work but sure couldn't hurt
Old 10-14-2017, 08:54 AM
Banned

All Dodge dealerships are crap after 15 years with dodge I've switched to chev and wow what a difference in service !
Old 10-14-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinthesky View Post
I don't know about your next purchase but I'd certainly change where you are getting your vehicles serviced!
And I agree, the dealer should be fixing your body damage as far as I'm concerned.

On a side note, they must be using some pretty cheap wheel studs.
Torquing wheel nuts is a relatively new thing, years ago on the farm we just tightened wheel nuts as tight as we possibly could, usually to the point where you needed a snipe on the wrench to undo them and we never broke any studs that I can remember. We hauled some horrible over weight loads pretty regularly too!
Take a tour around to different tire places or services shops and watch the 16 year old kids using an impact to put the lug nuts on with no proper torque just jamming them on. When these clowns do this, you have 3-5 times the specified lug nut torque applied. In my travels I notice way more trucks resting on their rotors and hubs on the side of the rode as their tire fell off and passed them on the highway...
Old 10-14-2017, 08:58 AM

GP Chrysler has been horrible in the service department for me also. My wife had a life threatening ordeal this past spring and found ourselves in lloydminster and or vehicle had a major issue with it and we were over warranty by 3000km or so and they not only put it through on warranty but shuffled around a couple of mechanics and squeezed us in the next morning to have the vehicle done before my wife was released from the hospital and before we travelled back to Grande Cache. We definitely were not accustom to treatment like that!! When we came back home I wrote an email to the dealership in Lloyd and expressed our gratitude and the treatment we received.
Regardless of the overwhelming odds or obstacles in your path,
you always have an opportunity to overcome.
It is your attitude that will determine the outcome.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:07 AM

GP Chrysler is notorious for peas poor service. I don't own any Chrysler products, and a good part of the reason why is what I have seen friends go through with service and warranty work here in the last 15 years. If you really want to get it done by the guilty party (which they should have repaired everything no questions asked, especially after you threw the second wheel!)...I'd say find yourself a local lawyer and have him submit a claim letter for you, with civil action on the table. That's really your best bet.

Good luck, you'll need it. What a headache though! TC

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-14-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Take a tour around to different tire places or services shops and watch the 16 year old kids using an impact to put the lug nuts on with no proper torque just jamming them on. When these clowns do this, you have 3-5 times the specified lug nut torque applied. In my travels I notice way more trucks resting on their rotors and hubs on the side of the rode as their tire fell off and passed them on the highway...
I use two different tire shops and I've never seen them do this. Not saying it doesn't happen, just not at the shops I frequent.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:13 AM

I never knew about over torquing and stretching the stud threads until one day I put my quad tires on and torqued to 95 ft lb. I never bothered to check the manual as it looked like 95 to me. Went out quadding and lost a tire and wrecked the studs on another. Checked the book and the torque is 45. That is when I learned it is not like the old days where you tightened the wheel nuts as tight as possible but have to always use a torque wrench and look up the torque. I also wonder if the studs are not made from that Chinese steel now days.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:29 AM

they should take care of it, but I doubt they will.

Something to consider, get a set of ramps and a floor jack and do stuff yourself. This is what I did when shop rates hit $130/hr, and they wanted $500 to replace transmission lines that needed 2 pieces of hose and 4 hose clamps ($25 and an hour of tinkering). You can google specs and YouTube pretty much any maintenance task.

Since they can't be bothered to use a torque wrench, do you theink they pre-fill oil filters? Fill fluids accurately? Use/suggest quality replacement parts? Now I only take it in for things I can't do. Saved many thousands over the last couple years (and do my best not to think about the thousands I 'donated' before I got sick of it)
Old 10-14-2017, 09:48 AM

I have been a Ford man since day 1, not saying they have better service or not. I went with GM in the 70's, I could not get rid of the Van at the end fast enough. The service Dept. at Chrysler was bad in actual fact My buddy had his Chrysler truck up on the hoist, it was a 2010 hemi, and the mechanic pulled off the plate and the rear-end fell on the floor. I have a friend who works in the automotive trade and he says that Chrysler have the most come backs of the top three. I am not saying this because I am a Ford person, it is fact. But you know we can disrespect this and that and we will always be a GM, Ford, or Chrysler fan, or an offshore person, so the discussion is mute.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Last he said is he'll pay the $500 deductible. Big flipping deal. What about my insurance going up $1300?
If you could get the $500 deductible from them, along with a something indicating what the payment is for, I would assume this would be an admission of fault on their part. Take it to a lawyer from there.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
If you could get the $500 deductible from them, along with a something indicating what the payment is for, I would assume this would be an admission of fault on their part. Take it to a lawyer from there.
Was hoping it wouldn't come to the point of a lawyer and the dealership would do what is appropriate. Trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. I would almost like to hand them the keys and go get new truck someplace else. Still a option I suppose.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:55 AM

First, i gotta say. Sorry to hear this. But i thinknyour issue would be servicing the truck at that dealer. Buying from a different dealer wont help you unless you vow to never service it at that crappy dealer. Secondly, go through your insurance and explain what happened and most likely they will go after the dealer. Also put a complaint through amvic and the better business bureau.

Dont bother with a lawyer, it will cost you alot more than the truck damage. There are many tricks to prolong hearings and drain so much money out of you.

Last edited by srs123; 10-14-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:05 AM

[QUOTE=Norwest Alta;3643546]Was hoping it wouldn't come to the point of a lawyer QUOTE]

this is what they are counting on every time they stiff someone....
Old 10-14-2017, 11:06 AM

Let them know you will be filing a complaint with AMVIC. (Alberta Motor Vehicle Industry Council).

They will tend to listen more closely.

www.amvic.org
Old 10-14-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE View Post
Try going higher up the food chain. Phone Chrysler Canada and explain what happened. Not saying it will work but sure couldn't hurt
Don't bother. You'll just get a snooty answer somehow making it all your fault.

Same with emails - I had a hassle with a chrysler stealer and got the same type of replies from a arrogant little twerp of a keyboard warrior.

I was nice about it, but he said things that he probably wouldn't dare say face-to-face. No foul language, though.

As far as I'm concerned, chrysler doesn't even exist so I wouldn't be seen dead in one of their "products".
Old 10-14-2017, 12:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by srs123 View Post
First, i gotta say. Sorry to hear this. But i thinknyour issue would be servicing the truck at that dealer. Buying from a different dealer wont help you unless you vow to never service it at that crappy dealer. Secondly, go through your insurance and explain what happened and most likely they will go after the dealer. Also put a complaint through amvic and the better business bureau.

Dont bother with a lawyer, it will cost you alot more than the truck damage. There are many tricks to prolong hearings and drain so much money out of you.
I'm not intending to darken their door every again. Feel bad for Steve the salesman but it is what it is. The thing that bothers me the most is the lack of accepting responsibility. I don't know if all Grande prairie auto group dealers are the same but I won't be shopping there if it can be avoided.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:25 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=coreya3212;3643570]
Quote:
Was hoping it wouldn't come to the point of a lawyer QUOTE]

this is what they are counting on every time they stiff someone....
More than likely.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:15 PM

I have heard good things about Edson and not good about Whitecourt so I guess it depends on management. I know some of the sales managers are on commission so all they care about is profit. When they have driven all the customers away they just leave.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:30 PM

Going through your insurance? No freaking way. Why would you do that? It just cost you a claim on your record and likely an increase the subsequent year and for the rest of your life ...... !!!!! so you are going to pay for their poor practices?

This is clearly negligence on their part and they are 100% liable for this.

DO NOT CLAIM IT ON YOUR INSURANCE

THEY ARE LIABLE

Not yelling at you - just can't believe these crooks would even offer to pay your deductible knowing exactly what will happen to you. I feel for you bud. Make these guys pay !!!!!!!!! it should have ZERO impact on you. Going through insurance, in ANY CIRCUMSTANCE (your fault or No fault) hurts you. Jeep in mind it shows up as a "claim" and whenever there is a claim they pay for, they will jack your rates up to get that money outa you (or the rest of us).

Last edited by EZM; 10-14-2017 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:12 PM

Interesting timing on this thread...my son had new winter tires mounted on wheels that I got in 2009 for the first set I mounted when Venza was new. Anyway, we picked car up after work today. My son drove home, then to carwash. On way home from wash, he realized something was way off and pulled over. After less than 20km, 3 studs snapped off, wheel ruined, hopefully rotor and caliper ok. Front passenger wheel, would have been really dangerous if he'd lost it on highway. Tire shop is closed till Monday, going to have AMA tow it (maybe leave it in front of service bay??)....will not name them as they have been very good to me for twelve years and about $20K worth of rubber and wheels on my 'fleet'. Will let you know how it pans out.

One other thing that bugged me about it was I ordered and paid for new shim kit and new lugs...but they installed the old rusted ones. Will update Monday after I have a nice reasonable chat with them. Mistakes happen, but Jesus....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171014_172805.jpg (58.0 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171014_172809.jpg (42.4 KB, 72 views)

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-14-2017, 09:13 PM
Banned

Years ago in Nova Scotia, I had new snow tires installed on my company car, the leasing company wanted to use a local Petro Canada service station for all things repair. Totally cool, great to deal with.

I'm headed to Newfoundland, trying to catch the boat in North Sydney. Got on the highway, started to lose control of the car and knew at that moment the wheels were falling off. Over to the side of the road and sure enough. Tightened all the lugs, called the garage to inform them of what happened and hit the road again. They were using impact guns with torque bar installed - one wasn't working and that got used on my car.

Got $140,000 invested in trucks? No offense, but spend a couple hundred more and buy a torque wrench and verify. Double check your own tires - don't depend on a garage for your life or your wifes.

I'm tired of my insurance rates going up, I've never had a claim in 28 years of driving but I keep paying more.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Years ago in Nova Scotia, I had new snow tires installed on my company car, the leasing company wanted to use a local Petro Canada service station for all things repair. Totally cool, great to deal with.

I'm headed to Newfoundland, trying to catch the boat in North Sydney. Got on the highway, started to lose control of the car and knew at that moment the wheels were falling off. Over to the side of the road and sure enough. Tightened all the lugs, called the garage to inform them of what happened and hit the road again. They were using impact guns with torque bar installed - one wasn't working and that got used on my car.

Got $140,000 invested in trucks? No offense, but spend a couple hundred more and buy a torque wrench and verify. Double check your own tires - don't depend on a garage for your life or your wifes.

I'm tired of my insurance rates going up, I've never had a claim in 28 years of driving but I keep paying more.
Got torque wrench. Don't do any good when they're already over torqued.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:33 PM

Kal tire in westlock changed my tires and I lost a tire on the Ft Chip ice road.

Kaltire would not do a single thing to set it straight.

Insurance paid.
I did not give Kaltire anymore business...last i saw, they still have their doors open.

they dont care...
sorry, but get over it...
find a new dealer, or do whatever you need to, to make yourself happy.

GP Dodge will have their dealership even without your business.
Get over that too!

kal Tire in westlock is still in business....and yes, I got over it too!
Old 10-14-2017, 09:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Got torque wrench. Don't do any good when they're already over torqued.
It wouldn't have happened the second time.

Here's the way the conversation would have gone down.

"Here's a torque wrench, use it!" If I find they are over torqued again, you're changing the studs and everything affected - before I take the vehicle. Fool me once, yeah.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:44 PM
Banned

Anyways woulda,coulda,shoulda and didn't.

Should grande prairie Chrysler foot the bill to fix my truck?

I beleive that they should because it was their doing that made the wheel fall off or dodge has a potential safety problem.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:45 PM

THe only time I've ever seen a wheel nut actually hit the proper torque with a torque wrench is when I do it myself.
Funny how most shops crank them on with the impact and run thru the nuts with the torque wrench...yup all good !
Time and $$$ for them to hand crank them to proper torque