Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-29-2017, 05:43 PM

Default Anyone wearing sun protection gloves?

I had a bit of skin cancer removed from my forehead a few years ago and now need to take extra precaution in the sun. Anyone else using sun protection gloves for fishing? The only ones I've tried are the fairly commonly available Mangrove fingerless gloves, they are fairly comfortable but a common complaint are the seams are not all that durable in the fingers. I too have had to stitch them up again. I've seen a few others such as Simms around, but for a fair bit more money. If you wear sun gloves for fishing, what are you using, and how do you like them?
Old 05-29-2017, 07:29 PM

i believe mine are from Glacier,they are sun gloves.Got them at BPS.Used them for 4th season great product.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:02 PM

I had the same issue a little on one hand and my face about 8 years ago now I wear sun protection dr. shade gloves (pretty cheap) so I don't worry about losing them and a face mask which protects my face from the reflection off of the water - can't remember where I got he face mask - think it was online but it works well
Old 05-29-2017, 10:54 PM

Columbia make some gloves, neck gaiters, hats and forearm sleeves that use a fabric that cools you down when you sweat and has UV protection. If you have to cover up when it is sunny and 30 degrees out, this stuff is pretty good gear.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:31 PM

Had skin cancer removed from my ear, so now I wear a broad-rimmed hat to keep the sun off my face as much as possible. For arms and hands I now go with high SPF sunscreen, some companies make sunscreens with SPF over 100, I generally go with SPF 60 because I can get it cheap in bulk, therefore I'm more likely to use it frequently. Gloves would give you SPF infinity though, so go with your comfort level.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isopod View Post
Had skin cancer removed from my ear, so now I wear a broad-rimmed hat to keep the sun off my face as much as possible. For arms and hands I now go with high SPF sunscreen, some companies make sunscreens with SPF over 100, I generally go with SPF 60 because I can get it cheap in bulk, therefore I'm more likely to use it frequently. Gloves would give you SPF infinity though, so go with your comfort level.
I also need to use stripping gloves and sun protection gear due to a medication which weakens my skin. I read up about fabrics and found that just covering up is sometimes not enough. Not every fabric will protect you from the sun. Thin fabrics, especially if not UV rated will still allow quite a bit of UV to hit your skin. Also of note regarding UPF/SPF rated clothing, the UPF/SPF is rated for the lifetime of the garment.... Industry standard classifies the lifetime of the garment as 18 washes. A little misleading. But there are washing detergents out there that restore UPF/SPF.

In addition to hats, I also use a Buff. Really cool things.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commieboy View Post
In addition to hats, I also use a Buff. Really cool things.
Buffs are the bomb-diggity!

I have never had a tan in my life. I can get a sunburn sitting in the shade. While fishing, I always wear long-sleeves. With proper UV gloves, my Tilley hat, and a Buff, I **can** go the whole day without getting a sunburn if I forget my sunscreen (which, despite never tanning, I somehow manage to do this a couple times a year).

Buffs are also great armour against mosquitoes and ticks. I would give up my UV gloves before I would give up my Buff.