Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-13-2017, 06:22 PM
Banned

Question Wind reading. How many of you get out and challenge yourselves?

There was a time, a few years ago when I was just a grass hopper to this target shooting game that I only shot my rifles on target when there was NO wind. I've now come to appreciate the wind which is pretty well a given here in God's country. The challenge of steering your bullets into the POI with winds that not only change velocity and direction makes this shooting sport addictive, more so than some drugs, I suppose. Putting a round into the ring with a 25 kph wind and holding over to correct, sure makes one feel "sniper like". Obviously, my load development targets are shot without wind conditions. But once a stellar load is found, it's time to get out and challenge the reading skills. I truly enjoy that because I have the facilities to do so. Wind shooting has truly become one of my favorite activities in the shooting sports.

Now, "wind shooting" may be considered to be somewhat related to those that only shoot paper or steel targets. Nothing could be further from the truth. Hunters, would greatly benefit from this practice to make long and ethical shots. Your feedback and opinions are welcome, and let's not talk about those Huskemama optics please.