Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-26-2018, 11:49 AM

Default Older Jiffy model 30 ice auger wont start

Hi, my Jiffy ice auger with a Tecumseh AV520 engine will not start. I have changed to a new diaphram on the Carburetor and also cleaned the Carburetor really good.

I think the problem might be due to the settings of the high and low jet screws. I tried to open them up by 1 1/4 turns each but the engine still will not start.

Fresh fuel; spark plug is good; however it is possible that the engine might be flooded with too much fuel?

Any help including setting these two screws (low on the left; high on the right) properly will be highly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch in advance.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:59 AM

Close both jets GENTLY
Open the Low speed 1/4 turn
Open High speed jet 1 1/4 turn
Start engine.
Adjust low speed until idling smoothly.
Open her up wide open.
Adjust High speed until engine transitions smoothly from idle to high speed without bogging.
Low speed screw,the one on the left.
High speed on the right.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:00 PM
Banned

You want that auger drilling steady but not over fast, I’ve seen some rev high spin fast but not drill, my auger is a low rev but bores like mad, test it out on the ice when setting those screws always will work different under load, run some seafoam through it, put some gas in the spark plug hole put spark plug back in and pull till it fires, if it runs great if not, I’d check the diaphragm, if there’s no compression head gasket most likely, pm me for more
Old 12-27-2018, 04:41 PM

Hi, Thanks for Hunter guy for suggesting to check the spark plug again. The spark plug gap was completely blocked from too much deposits. After removing the deposits and cleaned with a sand paper, my ice auger engine can fire up.

"Hunter guy:
You want that auger drilling steady but not over fast, I’ve seen some rev high spin fast but not drill, my auger is a low rev but bores like mad, test it out on the ice when setting those screws always will work different under load, run some seafoam through it, put some gas in the spark plug hole put spark plug back in and pull till it fires, if it runs great if not, I’d check the diaphragm, if there’s no compression head gasket most likely, pm me for more"

Thanks for double gun for high and low jets speed settings:

"double gun:Close both jets GENTLY
Open the Low speed 1/4 turn
Open High speed jet 1 1/4 turn
Start engine.
Adjust low speed until idling smoothly.
Open her up wide open.
Adjust High speed until engine transitions smoothly from idle to high speed without bogging.
Low speed screw,the one on the left.
High speed on the right."

The high speed screw will be adjusted underload once on ice.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers!
Old 12-27-2018, 06:01 PM

Just couple more thinks to consider, check magneto/flywheel gap - I use cigarette cardboard package. Loosen up magneto screws, slide piece of cigarette cardboard between magneto and flywheel magnets and retighten them. When you in idle, open the throttle rapidly. If the engine dies it means to lean - open idle screw (closer to the engine). If engine pick up with hesitation is to rich - turn in idle screw. Repeat this process till transition is smooth.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:51 AM

New diaphragm , needle and seat. Almost a yearly thing
Old 12-28-2018, 12:08 PM

Had mine 20 years 1 carb kit,couple spark plugs. Use sea foam and don’t leave gas in it. And the high speed screw needs adjustment a lot as in different temperatures or even just a little different oil mixture. It’s big and cumbersome,smelly,temperamental,noisy but it won’t die. Oh yeah no gas with ethanol helps too
Old 12-29-2018, 08:16 AM

Is there spark ? Pull plug, leave wire connected and pull over. Look for spark at the plug.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:28 AM

Hi, The auger can start now.

However, it does not have power to drill underload and stutters also.
I tried to adjust the high speed jet screw many times yesterday, it just would not cut.

Thanks everyone for your advice and input that you have given here.

Cheers.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:11 PM

Hi my older Jiffy model 20 ice auger finally can drill now. The issue was from the clutch drivers were not installed properly. As a result, the clutch is engaged all the time when I tried to start the auger.

The clutch drivers need to be installed as per the attached picture if anyone is having issues similar to mine.

Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3689-clutchjpg.image.200x182.jpg (9.2 KB, 25 views)