Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-29-2018, 10:59 AM

Default Auger transport / storage. Upright? Apart?

So I have a latchable storage tote that I’ve ‘lined’ with styrofoam and foam to cradle my powerhead. It’s snug, and I also fit my camera in the same tote. The auger just gets capped and left in the truck box.

I seen a auger soft case for sale and wondered if storing and transporting it like that, and on its side is something lots of people do? I know it’s not going to leak if everything is as it should be, but I personally have reservations about it.

However putting together the auger and then take down is a task I’m considering doing away with. When I need to use a sled, I put it together and then stuff it in a way to keep it secure. I’ve seen some awesome sled mods with auger holders and such, but I don’t use my sled all that much.

I read of a guy who built a custom box for his power head, then put some rigid foam in, but then wrapped the powerhead with Saran-wrap and used a couple - few cans of spray foam to make a moulded cradle. I’m sure his auger will last a century in there, and knowing the levels he takes to take care of it.

Just curious what others do?
Old 12-29-2018, 11:32 AM

Everything is loaded into my Jetsled XL...…..auger, tent, pail, flasher, tackle, shovel, heater. You can't see it but the 4 man tent is underneath the auger. The sled stays in the back of my truck all season.....when I get home I remove the flasher and auger into the garage.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:35 AM

I leave mine together and transport it on laying down with gas cap on high side
And I never fill the tank more than half full. Built a small cradle to carry it on my ice sled and it takes up very little space on sled. It’s an old jiffy 30 so it’s a tank.
I only take it apart for summer
Old 12-29-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimboLefty View Post
I leave mine together and transport it on laying down with gas cap on high side
And I never fill the tank more than half full. Built a small cradle to carry it on my ice sled and it takes up very little space on sled. It’s an old jiffy 30 so it’s a tank.
I only take it apart for summer
Same here I built a rack for my quad and in the truck it just sits tank up I do have a case for it also .

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2018, 01:26 PM

Mine lays down with tank up as well. I only take it apart if it's super cold and I need to set the motor in my tent or truck cab so that it will start.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:44 PM

Same as above, always on it’s side and gas cap up. Store it upright during the off season.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Everything is loaded into my Jetsled XL...…..auger, tent, pail, flasher, tackle, shovel, heater. You can't see it but the 4 man tent is underneath the auger. The sled stays in the back of my truck all season.....when I get home I remove the flasher and auger into the garage.

Nice sled and neat and tidy packing. I essentially do the same thing, except not nearly as tidy. I have a long and short Pelican sled from CT and both are just too narrow. I seen some guy at Cabela’s today with a nice wide one.

I guess I’m the weird one who tears down every trip, lol. I worry about my gear in the back of the truck, since my toppers locks don’t work and my tailgate doesn’t lock either. It’s a pain when I have to bomb everything out cause I’m going to town and parking somewhere. You can’t give thieves a split second now a days.

Even if my gate and topper locked I wouldn’t trust they wouldn’t smash the window. I’ve thought about building a metal or wood gear box that slides out from the truck bed, and is a bit of theft protection.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:14 AM

I also use a pelican and it is narrow so I built a small cradle that holds engine on back of sled with auger resting on side wall. It essentially uses up no room in sled so I can put everything else in. It looks a lot like the pics above but mine sits back farther and off to the side a bit.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post

Nice sled! I use mine for hauling out game but I don’t have skis on it.
How does that work for you, do you think it would be good in deep snow, what about the patches where there is no snow?
Old 12-30-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Nice sled! I use mine for hauling out game but I don’t have skis on it.
How does that work for you, do you think it would be good in deep snow, what about the patches where there is no snow?
I've used mine for hauling out deer as well. Skis work better in deeper snow I find and I haul l the sled over gravel without worrying about damaging the bottom of the sled. Don't care if I scar the skis, I bought them for $15 at a local thrift store.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:20 PM

When I used to run a gas/oil auger - I purchased a quick detachment coupler for my auger so it goes on quickly and easily with gloved hands. The auger rides in a wide milk crate 15"x12" by 12" deep, sits upright nicely cradled in there with a bungee cord over top. No more leaks of oil/gas in the sled.

There is no foam or anything cradling anything the slant on the arms allows it to sit down into the crate nicely.

I now use a propane - so leaks are not a concern.

I also use 2 sleds in the back of the box so I can pull out what I need and slide it back in like a drawer.

Pretty much everything stays in the truck all season.

I use a separate crate for my camera/flasher/panner/hand drill (for anchors), battery operated light/fan, etc... that come inside with me in the cab AND at the end of the trip goes back inside the house to stay warm and recharge batteries.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:30 PM
Suspended User

We use a Frabrill pod, so only the large items stay out in the open. I just shut the vent on my last hole then store it cap up. I am thinking of adding a rack but it is only pulled occasionally, most of the time its in the back of the SUV until the pod is packed. Nothing moves inside that, and a couple of straps hold it all tight