Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-16-2020, 05:50 AM

Default Best 270 win ammo, for Howa 1500/Weatherby Vanguard

Hi all,
I've tried the (Hornady?) 130 gr American Whitetail, and 150 gr Federal Fusion Partitions, and my gun seemed to like the 130 gr ammo better. Atleast my groupings were tighter with less flyers, but maybe thats just human error. I've shot 80 rounds through my Howa 1500, 40 of each of the aforementioned ammos.

My question to you Howa owners is simple. Which ammo and grain age did your Howa/Weatherby like best? Deer, elk and plain old fun are my purposes

Thank you and happy Sunday!
Old 08-16-2020, 07:12 AM

Not a Howa/Vanguard owner, but a guy that’s been around far to many rifles over the years.

Keep it simple.

Remington Core Loct
Federal Blue Box
Winchester PowerPoint

Stay clear of polymer tipped bullets!

Just because it’s the same make model and chambering of rifle, what somebody else uses means nothing, every rifle is unique unto its self, and the end user needs to determine what their rifle prefers.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 08-16-2020 at 07:39 AM.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Stay clear of polymer tipped bullets!.
Why is that?

-Billy Molls
Old 08-16-2020, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Why is that?
SST’s more precisely, as they are very frangible.

I know there are tipped TSX’s, Accubond’s, and others too, even certain Ballistic Tip bullets(150gr., 7mm) that are a cut apart, but being the OP is an obvious neophyte, it’s part of the KISS approach, since he probably isn't attuned to the various bullet nuances.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-16-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Not a Howa/Vanguard owner, but a guy that’s been around far to many rifles over the years.

Keep it simple.

Remington Core Loct
Federal Blue Box
Winchester PowerPoint

Stay clear of polymer tipped bullets!

Just because it’s the same make model and chambering of rifle, what somebody else uses means nothing, every rifle is unique unto its self, and the end user needs to determine what their rifle prefers.
Thank you for your information and input.
I definitely like the idea of keeping it simple. $35 vs $60-$70 a box sounds good too. I haven't experienced enough of a sample size to notice any appreciable differences in ammo with this gun, yet.

As far as performance on wild game, do any of the "premium" ammunitions offer any additional advantages i should take into consideration? Obviously keeping in mins, shot placement is first and paramount.

Thank you!
Old 08-16-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwelds191 View Post
Thank you for your information and input.
I definitely like the idea of keeping it simple. $35 vs $60-$70 a box sounds good too. I haven't experienced enough of a sample size to notice any appreciable differences in ammo with this gun, yet.

As far as performance on wild game, do any of the "premium" ammunitions offer any additional advantages i should take into consideration? Obviously keeping in mins, shot placement is first and paramount.

Thank you!
My wife has run a .270Win since when we first were dating(~30 Years) what I’ve noticed is bullet placement trumps bullet construction 97.625% of the time.

Being patient, waiting for decent shot angles and presentation, will bring your game to bag.

Deer elk and moose aren’t being issued Kevlar with ballistic plates to the best of my knowledge, so any decently built bullet designed for hunting will give decent results. Sure the latest and greatest, even some of them being around for a while can give enhanced performance on game, but really, for yourself, get a load that shoots well, and doesn’t leave you in the poor house, and become proficient with your rifle, not only from the bench but from field shooting positions, learn you personal limitations as to maximum range, and live to those limits.

Hunt smart, and enjoy the meat.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-16-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
My wife has run a .270Win since when we first were dating(~30 Years) what I’ve noticed is bullet placement trumps bullet construction 97.625% of the time.

Being patient, waiting for decent shot angles and presentation, will bring your game to bag.

Deer elk and moose aren’t being issued Kevlar with ballistic plates to the best of my knowledge, so any decently built bullet designed for hunting will give decent results. Sure the latest and greatest, even some of them being around for a while can give enhanced performance on game, but really, for yourself, get a load that shoots well, and doesn’t leave you in the poor house, and become proficient with your rifle, not only from the bench but from field shooting positions, learn you personal limitations as to maximum range, and live to those limits.

Hunt smart, and enjoy the meat.
Will do, thank you sir
Old 08-17-2020, 10:32 AM

All costs considered ammo is your least expensive investment. I believe Norma still make 270 cartridges in 150 Grain Nosler Partition.

I used them on Elk,Deer and Moose with great results until I began reloading.

Cheap or fragile bullets can cause you great disappointment on game.
Old 08-17-2020, 11:01 AM

My .270 Vanguard 2 loves these

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/w...1272p.html#srp
Old 08-18-2020, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Nice, good to know! Thank you for your input.
Old 08-18-2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
All costs considered ammo is your least expensive investment. I believe Norma still make 270 cartridges in 150 Grain Nosler Partition.

I used them on Elk,Deer and Moose with great results until I began reloading.

Cheap or fragile bullets can cause you great disappointment on game.
I'll look into these right now. Thank you kindly.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:32 AM

Find a load with a130-150gr bullet that your rifle shoots well, and practise as far as you would consider shooting at a game animal. If a cheaper load results in you practicing more, then a cheaper load may actually work better for you.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:48 AM

in my S2 the cheap winchester power point is ridiculously accurate so much so that I dont bother reloading for it
Old 08-18-2020, 12:08 PM

Have you tried a 140 grain? My Browning ABolt-II really likes the Hornady Custom with a 140.
Old 08-19-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
in my S2 the cheap winchester power point is ridiculously accurate so much so that I dont bother reloading for it
Very cool! I was recommended that ammo by another member. It's not the winchester ammo, but I did a box of Rem Core Lokt 150gr SP to see how my rifle likes it.

For comparsion, I bought federal fusion 150 gr, bonded SP (middle-of-the-pack ammo), to see if I notice any difference in performance. I imagine I will, better or worse.
Old 08-19-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Hale View Post
Have you tried a 140 grain? My Browning ABolt-II really likes the Hornady Custom with a 140.
I haven't, only 130 gr Hornady American Whitetail. My rifle seemed to love it.

Is this the stuff you're referring to? I can't find Hornady "Custom", lol

https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifl...erlock-btsp#!/
Old 08-23-2020, 08:41 PM

I have several rifles in 270 Winchester. They all shoot tight groups with Federal blue box Power Shock and Fusion, 130 and 150 grain loads. My preference is for the 130s as I have used them to take a pile of big game including elk, moose, and bear.