Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-10-2013, 09:31 PM
Banned

Default Spoon too light to cast?

Hi everyone,

Having just started fishing 3 weeks ago, I find myself confused on a lot things. One thing in particular is how to rig a spoon. I have a red/white spoon that looks something like this:

http://www.agmdiscountfishing.co.uk/...n-redwhite.jpg

and I find that if I just tie that spoon on the end of my line, it is too light to be casted far out for any amount of distance. How does everyone rig your spoons to cast further?

Thanks a bunch. gl fishing!
Old 06-10-2013, 09:36 PM

If you are having trouble casting this i suspect you need lighter weight line or a longer rod or switch to a bigger spoon.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:38 PM

I suspect your rod and reel combo arnt designed for this light of a spoon
Pitch bigger spoons with that set and when you go to get another rid/reel combo get a light or ultralight rod and reel to match...
Your rod/reel combo is designed to match a certain weight lure and a typical "general use" rod is a touch heavy to pitch the small lures nicely

Hope this helps
Cheers happy fishing
Old 06-10-2013, 09:38 PM

You could also try pinching a split shot sinker 8-10 inches up from the spoon.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:40 PM

Yes and like deanmc said ... "lighter line will help"
Old 06-10-2013, 10:07 PM

All of the above plus - do not tie your spoon directly to your line unless there is a swivel attached. It will twist up your line and eventually make a birds nest for you.

You should attach a high quality swivel to your main line so you may change out leaders, attach various lures quickly etc....

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/produ...ok-snapswivels

Keep in mind - If the swivel (or any other terminal tackle you buy) does not indicate a test strength it is crap. Danielson is a perfect example of crap.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:40 PM

look on the shaft of your rod just above the handle it should be on there how long the rod is, what action, fishing line range, and some say the lure sizes too. also having a nice spool of good quality line on the matched rod and reel is helpful. have it full but just under the lip of the top of the spool, if its too full it will birds nest on ya. but if you have it just right it helps increase your distance. in some fishing stores you can get some flexible lead strips that you peel off and stick on the inside of the spoon like a sticker or decal. i dont know how much this would alter the movement of the lure. for myself i use a 6'6" shimano rod reel combo with 6lb trilene and can cast the smallest panter martins around the 15 ish foot mark.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:41 PM
Banned

As well as lightness of line (im guessing you want about 4lb test), make sure your spool is full... as in filled to about 1/8" from rim of spool. Those things should make a big difference.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:21 PM

Another thing that will add distance is going to a braided line.

Tags
beginner, light, spoons