Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-10-2013, 09:04 AM

Default SAWT. Weekend results

What happened there on the weekend......NP ...
Old 06-10-2013, 09:50 AM

very slow tough bite as far as legals go.

only 13 fish or 13 teams with fish after day one. (cant remember what was said).

chad and jason weibe ended up winning it with their crazy jigging skills.

me and my partner brandon tied for third overall with kelly flaig and jason villimaire.

we only caught one legal but it was big fish for day 2 and the tourney. weight was 10.64lbs on the sawt length to weight scale. it measured out at 77.8cm. i will try to get a pic of it posted in the next day or 2.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:41 PM

Default Way to go

You da man Nate ....
Old 06-10-2013, 01:35 PM

Nice work Nate, congrats on another good finish...
Old 06-10-2013, 01:50 PM

Default Just wondering

Just wondering if any of the board members on here who claim to be able
To catch legal walleye ,with reckless abandon finished in the money...

I go back to my first statement about this lake ....the legal catch average
Is likely 1 - in a 100 if that ......Need to kill some of those small fish .
Tag up ...and move some out.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:53 PM

What is it with walleye in the spring? I went to crawling last 2 weekends with 1 fish to the boat.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
Just wondering if any of the board members on here who claim to be able
To catch legal walleye ,with reckless abandon finished in the money...

I go back to my first statement about this lake ....the legal catch average
Is likely 1 - in a 100 if that ......Need to kill some of those small fish .
Tag up ...and move some out.
Plenty of small fish get killed on that lake........
Old 06-10-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjuanworm View Post
What is it with walleye in the spring? I went to crawling last 2 weekends with 1 fish to the boat.
Great job on that tank of a Wally Nate!!! You really need to explore a little bit more at Crawling San, 2 weeks ago 2 of us caught over 30 walleye and about 20 pike....none were worth writing home about but its was very consistent. The majority were caught on a 5 Diamonds believe it or not and a few caught on a suspending rap gold/black. Glad to see some of the talented walleye guys are on this forum.......
Old 06-10-2013, 06:26 PM

As mentioned before, here is the fish that put us up there in the mix.

We caught tons of fish in the second half of the day on day one and caught quite a few in the morning on day 2 but watched as guys around us were hammering fish about 5 fish to 1 of ours.

We just happened to be in the right spot at the right time and my partner chucked out what the big girl wanted. He fought that fish perfectly and gave me the perfect situation at netting her. I was feeling pretty stressed when I finally seen the fish and knew I had to get the net under her before she tried to take another run. We thought it was a pike the way it was running around but got a flash of white tail during the long battle and changed our tone pretty quick on how we needed to handle things.

Things have been pretty good for both of us in tourneys lately. Out of the last 6 tourneys we have finished top 10 in 5 of them. We "puked our guts" in the ridge tourney last season when Brandon was in 2nd for team of the year and I was sitting in 4th. I hope we don't have a repeat of that this season.

Don't mind the stupid look on my face. I think I was about to say something right when the pic was snapped.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:42 PM

Default Beauty

Nice one ......good color. .

Even smiling
Old 06-10-2013, 07:28 PM

Beauty fish, even though it swam away I bet it died. Red tail is not a good sign.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
Beauty fish, even though it swam away I bet it died. Red tail is not a good sign.
Why is that? Seems to me many freshly landed eyes have pink/red around the mouth and fins .......

Just curious as to your theory ............
Old 06-10-2013, 08:54 PM

It's a sign of exhaustion and lactic acid build up. Low oxygen in blood due to being exhausted and stressed ie sitting in a livewell for a while. Happens a lot with Muskie. Fish usually swim away but die hours later, it's one of the main arguments against tournaments. It's mainly the red tail that's the indicator. One reason to never downsize gear to the point where you have to fight a fish longer than necessary.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:07 PM

That fish was full of **** and vinegar.

We never had a problem with it rolling or anything. We also had a constant circulation of water in the well.

Remember those fish are just coming out of the spawn so exhaustion could be from a hard spawn.

I don't think that fish passed on. The 2 in the weigh boat and both of us on our boat were talking about how healthy and strong that fish was compared to others that had been caught during the weekend.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:32 PM

Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
It's a sign of exhaustion and lactic acid build up. Low oxygen in blood due to being exhausted and stressed ie sitting in a livewell for a while. Happens a lot with Muskie. Fish usually swim away but die hours later, it's one of the main arguments against tournaments. It's mainly the red tail that's the indicator. One reason to never downsize gear to the point where you have to fight a fish longer than necessary.
Hmm so no tourneys, then that would mean we would be out fishing for a different reason, to fill the the frying pan. So out of these 63 boats half or some for sure of the fish caught would not be around next year. Also from my reading of studies it is not "usually" fish swim off to die but the mortality is very, very low!

Nice hog team npauls, sure wish I could of made one of them bite what I was chucking but there will be next year to try again
Didn't mean the derail.
WDF
Old 06-10-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Da Fisherman View Post
Hmm so no tourneys, then that would mean we would be out fishing for a different reason, to fill the the frying pan. So out of these 63 boats half or some for sure of the fish caught would not be around next year. Also from my reading of studies it is not "usually" fish swim off to die but the mortality is very, very low!

Nice hog team npauls, sure wish I could of made one of them bite what I was chucking but there will be next year to try again
Didn't mean the derail.
WDF
Do you only fish the one tourney or are you doing the whole trail?

You should look into the Ridge and St.Mary tourneys if you aren't registered for them.

Both lakes hold nice big fish and when the bite is on they are some of the funnest lakes around here to fish.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:47 PM

I'm merely pointing out a concern about fish health and one of the fights people have against tournies. It becomes much more common when water temps warm up in the summer, one reason why no cfe's are issued for July and August. No where did I say I was against them, in fact I fish most of the sask ones. Not saying I've never had fish without the symptoms either because I have. As long as they swim off they always have a chance of both living and dieing, and in the end that's all that matters.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Do you only fish the one tourney or are you doing the whole trail?

You should look into the Ridge and St.Mary tourneys if you aren't registered for them.

Both lakes hold nice big fish and when the bite is on they are some of the funnest lakes around here to fish.
I was hoping to do the whole trail this year (one of the reasons i used to get the new boat lol) but work got in the way, , I think I should put my holidays in now for next year and they can go lump it. Good luck and tight lines.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:43 PM

Hey Nate, Congrats to you and Brandon! We were just a couple boats down from you when you landed it! We were one of the teams hammering them where we were! I thought for sure we would eventually get a legal one. Best day fishing in a long time for me!
Old 06-10-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Feathers Game View Post
Hey Nate, Congrats to you and Brandon! We were just a couple boats down from you when you landed it! We were one of the teams hammering them where we were! I thought for sure we would eventually get a legal one. Best day fishing in a long time for me!
Thanks Jim.

I heard you guys were into them big time over there.

There was a ton of fish in there but it was a lottery draw on who was going to end up getting the legals.

Those slip bobbers were popping under the water constantly and all over the place in that area. You could see the schools moving through by who was getting the fish.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:59 AM

Default Water temp

Did any one else notice how hot the water. 70 ...I don't remember
It being close to warm this time of the year ....I wonder how much
Water they are moving through there.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:19 PM

We only found a high of 66.2*F. On Friday it was 58* in the main lake. Quite the change considering the weather!
Old 06-11-2013, 06:20 PM

Ya We found 67 as the highest this weekend and 56 in the main lake as the coldest.