Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-11-2019, 03:41 PM

Default Coolest hunt ever

Needing to kill 3 hours before picking up my son from his friends place (which just so happens to be near one of the farms I got permission to hunt) decided to try some afternoon coyote hunting.....
I got to the farm just before 3pm.... Knowing this farm is hit hard by the hounds men, other callers and the farmers that I would need a different tactic to try and trick one of these call shy coyotes in.....
After setting up, I let things settle down and just watched the 500 x 700 yd field for 30 minutes before playing some crow calls for 5 minutes... Then went silent again for another 20 minutes... Now my plan was to play coyote vocals for a minute and go silent for 20 minutes in hopes of having a coyote stick his head out....
I did the coyote howl thing for about 2 hrs, coyote vocal for a minute, silence for 20 minutes.......(Now, I normally don't sit/call for hours but I had to kill some time before picking up my son)..........after 2 hrs of nothing and getting cold around 5pm, I let the coyote vocal sound out again and to my surprise (scared the crap out of me) a couple of coyote light up right behind me in the little bush I was leaning up against.
They were close real close.... So I got up off my chair, went to the fence line and peeked inside the bush. Now I can hear them, they are really close just can't see them.... After a minute they go silent. I wait 5 minutes and play that coyote howl again and again they light up, this time I spot them, really close, 20 yds away but I can't shoot in the bush too much branches in the way....
All of a sudden one runs right through the fence and enters my field, I spin around, and from a standing position yell out wolf to get it to stop and bang, from less than 10 yds this coyote is toast, I mean toast....What a rush.............. I turn and spot the other one running through the bush....
Now the words I wrote don't do the hunt justice, by far this is one of the coolest coyote hunts I ever had.....
The setup