Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-13-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
I bought my daughter a used Diamond bow from a friend who's daughter outgrew it. We needed a release a few more arrows, as well as getting it set up just right for her so I went to JimBow's in Edmonton. The place was packed when we arrived but they took the time to set her up properly, helped her get the right feel of shooting, and kept coming back to encourage her over the couple hours we shot.

Overall, I cannot recommend them highly enough. My daughter was smiling ear to ear and can't wait to go back shooting there. We may have been able to save a few bucks on the accessories by shopping the internet but the support, setup, and positive experience was definitely worth the extra couple of bucks.

SS

That's great. We'll contact JimBows and get my son all set up with his new bow, and get him some individual lessons.
After that he can shoot here at home. He'll be able to shoot up to about 20 yds in the yard or go out into an adjacent field and shoot and practice.
Proud of him.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by score View Post
So would you guys say Jimbows is the place to go in Edmonton, or is there another shop that treats you good and we should check out?
If you are up for the drive out to Alberta Beach, Accurate Archery is a great place too. Lawrence knows his stuff and will take the time to answer your questions and give you an idea of what you are getting into. They also have a selection of used bows that can make getting into a 2 or 3 year old flag ship bow an option. Well worth your time!

Norm
Old 02-13-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
That's great. We'll contact JimBows and get my son all set up with his new bow, and get him some individual lessons.
After that he can shoot here at home. He'll be able to shoot up to about 20 yds in the yard or go out into an adjacent field and shoot and practice.
Proud of him.
Ummmmm.... Depending on where you live, this course of action MAY be ill-advised. Might be in the by-laws somewhere; do your research....

J.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:49 PM

Hoyt has some great mid level bows too. I bought a hoyt powermax a couple years ago all in with everything you need for around 1300. Its a great bow. I've upgraded a couple things on it like the sight and stabilizer but only because I wanted to. The new Nitrux is a step up from the powermat and looks like a decent bow too.

Not trying to sell on the hoyts but worth a look and well worth the money. I know jimbows had a power max last summer for around 800. Not sure of they still carry them tho
Old 02-13-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
Ummmmm.... Depending on where you live, this course of action MAY be ill-advised. Might be in the by-laws somewhere; do your research....

J.
You absolutely cannot shoot a compound bow in city limits
Old 02-13-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:

J.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
You absolutely cannot shoot a compound bow in city limits
We live on the outskirts adjacent to farm fields, but yes in the city limits. Very safe to shoot here, but thanks for the heads up.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:53 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Don't let him dwell on a miss, frustration is part of the sport, perseverance and stay the course, tell him to listen to all and find his way to enjoy the sport....I see too many drop something because they couldn't be like someone....who cares....be yourself and at the end it will that much more enjoyable.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-15-2019, 05:00 PM

Don't forget to factor in a range finder in that budget.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Don't let him dwell on a miss, frustration is part of the sport, perseverance and stay the course, tell him to listen to all and find his way to enjoy the sport....I see too many drop something because they couldn't be like someone....who cares....be yourself and at the end it will that much more enjoyable.

Appreciate it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasc43 View Post
Don't forget to factor in a range finder in that budget.
Got that covered, we hunt. My son just wants to start hunting with a bow.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Got that covered, we hunt. My son just wants to start hunting with a bow.
I still seriously think that you should give it a try as well Score.... You might be hooked.

It's a very close range, permanent style game of hid and seek, with me being the loser most of the time but occasionally winning. Great fun!

J.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I still seriously think that you should give it a try as well Score.... You might be hooked.

It's a very close range, permanent style game of hid and seek, with me being the loser most of the time but occasionally winning. Great fun!

J.
I know you're right, and I'll never say never. Right now though, I'm addicted to my guns.

I have great fun and take pride in teaching and watching my son hunt. He's been shooting since he could walk, then suddenly the other day, he said he wanted to bow hunt.

He has his bow now and the next stop is JimBows and some lessons.

I'm going to help him scout, set up cams, blinds, etc., etc..

To tell you the truth, I don't care if I ever kill anything again. Being with him and watching him do it makes me happy.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:42 AM

............ that said, there are some animals out there that I happen to have draw priority for, when I won't hesitate
Old 02-19-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Diamond is owned by Bowtech and they are a good bow. Similar to Mission which is owned by Mathews. My brother started on a Diamond and it was great for him. He upgraded after about 4 years when he knew he would be bow hunting long term. The biggest concern with these entry level bows is usually the rest and on this package it has already been upgraded to good drop away. The 4 pin sight should be sufficient as well as the stabilizer and quiver. And if you check the ad I believe a brand new release is included.

Gold Tip standard hunter arrows are hard to beat and there is no need to upgrade to XT or Pro's for hunting situations. They should run you about $160 for a dozen fletched and with field points. Get a dozen... 6 might not last very long.

And to be clear I have no idea who the seller is in the link I posted, just that you might want to consider a packages such as it.
The bow has three pins. There's plenty of room in the site to add more. Can you buy the individual fiber optic pins. Looks like they're just in and adjusted with an allen key.

He's gotta learn about arrows. There are some guys selling here but I don't know what to buy. Seems like a couple good deals here right now. I imagine prices at JimBows are a bit higher than Cabelas but competitive (does Cabelas have some good arrows)....
Going to call and set up a time to go get him set up and into some lessons.
He's excited.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
The bow has three pins. There's plenty of room in the site to add more. Can you buy the individual fiber optic pins. Looks like they're just in and adjusted with an allen key.

He's gotta learn about arrows. There are some guys selling here but I don't know what to buy. Seems like a couple good deals here right now. I imagine prices at JimBows are a bit higher than Cabelas but competitive (does Cabelas have some good arrows)....
Going to call and set up a time to go get him set up and into some lessons.
He's excited.
I’m sure you can add more pins, but for me 3 is lots. Anything more then 1 starts to confuse me

I like to keep sight picture as clean as reasonably possible. That will get you plenty of range for a new shooter, and most experienced shooters too.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
I’m sure you can add more pins, but for me 3 is lots. Anything more then 1 starts to confuse me

I like to keep sight picture as clean as reasonably possible. That will get you plenty of range for a new shooter, and most experienced shooters too.
Yep, Homesteader has great suggestions as well..... Try setting the pins up for 20-25-30 or 20-30-40. In a hunting situation, "most" new bow hunters will begin to realize their own personal limits and not need a pin beyond that.

While I do have pins from 20 to 80 in 10 yard increments, I've got one specific pin that is colored red (red means STOP, don't shoot!) That pin is my personal limit under hunting conditions. The other pins beyond that is for practicing only as I like to practice beyond my limit, just to be sure that when my adrenaline is pumping while hunting I've still got my mechanisms in place to produce a high quality shot.

The way I look at it, practice twice as far for 1/2 the accuracy. If i manage to practice shooting 8" groups at 80, under real world hunting conditions I can reasonably expect 8" accuracy at 40 (8" is my personal preference, and EVERYTHING else must be otherwise correct)

Some years, I haven't put in the effort for 8" @ 40, and I have limited myself to 35 or 30 yard shots when hunting.... But I digress, this is leading into personal ethics - really didn't mean to go there, wanted to state the pin settings for practice...

J.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2019, 06:10 PM

Thanks a lot guys

Any and all responses, tips and info appreciated.....
Old 02-27-2019, 09:57 AM

My son used a diamond until he was 15 then moved over to a Bowtech carbon knight. We set it at 50 lbs and he had no problem pulling and holding. He's now 20 and we have maxed it to 60lbs
Joe and Jim @ Jim Bows have been an absolute pleasure to deal with.