Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-23-2019, 11:48 PM

Default New Hunter - Small Game Regs

Hey everyone;

So new hunter here, currently completing the hunters education course and trying to figure some stuff out. At the current time I've been combing the regs and online in an attempt to find the described regulations around small game hunting (rabbits and such). Does anyone know where I should look specifically - or just what the limitations around these are?

I.e. what are the limitations around hunting hares/rabbits, or other small game critters?

Also, while I'm at it - what other hunting opportunities would there to be during the current time, and leading into summer? While I expect there will be zero actual success on our part; if I were to go out, I would prefer to not get in trouble!

Thanks;

PrpleWlf
Old 02-24-2019, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Other Animals
Porcupine, rabbit, hare, raccoon and woodchuck may be hunted, but not trapped**, without a licence throughout the province, at all times of the year. Skunk may be hunted and trapped.

Very bottom of big game regulations: http://www.albertaregulations.ca/hun.../gameregs.html
Old 02-24-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrpleWlf View Post
Hey everyone;

So new hunter here, currently completing the hunters education course and trying to figure some stuff out. At the current time I've been combing the regs and online in an attempt to find the described regulations around small game hunting (rabbits and such). Does anyone know where I should look specifically - or just what the limitations around these are?

I.e. what are the limitations around hunting hares/rabbits, or other small game critters?

Also, while I'm at it - what other hunting opportunities would there to be during the current time, and leading into summer? While I expect there will be zero actual success on our part; if I were to go out, I would prefer to not get in trouble!

Thanks;

PrpleWlf
I am in the exact same boat! Let me know how it goes, I am going out later today!
Old 02-25-2019, 07:05 AM

Hey everyone;

I was wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for bowhunting locations for rabbits/hares at this time of year near WMU 248 (Edmonton area?)?

Thanks;

PrpleWlf
Old 02-25-2019, 07:14 AM

Welcome to the addiction guys... I would look at the top thread looking for a hunting partner. I would look into the Blackfoot area not sure exactly what the regs are for hunting Rabbits in there but looks like great country for them.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:24 PM

Blackfoot is game birds, whitetail, moose and elk only. Shoot anything else and you get fined. You need a hunters orientation and a discharge permit.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 02-25-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Blackfoot is game birds, whitetail, moose and elk only. Shoot anything else and you get fined. You need a hunters orientation and a discharge permit.
Good to know! Any ideas about Atim Creek? It's nearby myself, but I'm not 100% sure what limitations there may be (I found it here; http://www.albertadiscoverguide.com/...=D3&number=115). Where would I go to find any limitations - is there a specific document/website? Or just contact local centres?

Thanks!

PrpleWlf