Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-02-2024, 05:13 PM

Default Jaw Jackers For Walleye

hey gang - I saw a few similar posts from a year ago, and didn't want to necro-post, so I'm going to start a fresh thread (and one more specific to walleye).

How many of you use the regular JJ for walleye? How do you like it? And the jigging JJ?? (Jigging JJ currently on sale at Cabela's $50 off).

I fish only for walleye in southern AB reservoirs, and I have a $40 GC to Fishin' Hole that I need to use... I was thinking about using it on a JJ, but not sure how important they are. Some people swear by them, some people think it's a gimmick.

Figured I'd get some discussion going on this topic.....aaaand go:
Old 01-02-2024, 05:30 PM

My buddy and fished walleye yesterday. He had the JJ and I had one with jigging base. Used the tooth wheel. I would say it out fished the regular JJ by 30% ....but most that grabbed it were pike. If it was just walleye alone it would be pretty much even. When walleye are moody, a JJ does help either just above bottom or pretty much laying just on bottom.
Old 01-02-2024, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
hey gang - I saw a few similar posts from a year ago, and didn't want to necro-post, so I'm going to start a fresh thread (and one more specific to walleye).

How many of you use the regular JJ for walleye? How do you like it? And the jigging JJ?? (Jigging JJ currently on sale at Cabela's $50 off).

I fish only for walleye in southern AB reservoirs, and I have a $40 GC to Fishin' Hole that I need to use... I was thinking about using it on a JJ, but not sure how important they are. Some people swear by them, some people think it's a gimmick.

Figured I'd get some discussion going on this topic.....aaaand go:
Both work for walleye. Stationary works better on really cold days since the hole freezing can be an issue for the Jigging Jaw jacker.

gim·mick
/??imik/
noun
a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business.
"it is not so much a program to improve services as a gimmick to gain votes"

If this is your definition for a Jaw Jacker then you probably should quit fishing when it outfishes you, haha.

It's just a great option for a second line if you want to cover more area and hook more fish.

I use jig and minnow on stationary JJ, but with the Jigging Jaw jacker I find spoons work pretty well too with the Big Jig wheel.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G990W2 using Tapatalk

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 01-02-2024, 05:39 PM

I find the jawjacker a great tool for walleye. Once you know all the little details on setting it up you will be catching walleye in no time. I use mine without the jigging base and have good results. Everyone has their own favourite rods and you will learn which ones perform best with it. I use just a jig a minnow always but one thing I do is bend the hook up a little. It seems to get better hooksets. The best jigs I have experienced the best hook ups have been Matzuo sickle hooks. Make sure to extend the arms on either side of the hole and lock the ice picks. I have never lost a rod or have the JJ tip over. This is just my experience I have had with them and I’m just an amateur. One last tip is really watch not to get water on your trigger mechanism or it will freeze and not work properly. Good luck if you try one out.
Old 01-02-2024, 07:51 PM

Good stuff. I generally sit a dead stick jig and minnow (I've really been digging the small tungsten jigs from Frostbite) and a flutter spoon on my active rod. Have been debating whether or not a JJ would help my dead stick presentation. I like to set my lines a little ways apart and sometimes by the time I get to the other rod, I've missed a hookset. The JJ should help that...
Old 01-02-2024, 07:55 PM

Default Non jigging for me most of the time.

My best setup for jaw jacker walleye is fishing in the evening into the first three hours of the night. I put a large smelt on rigged like I do for pike and then a thill night slip bobber on it laying on the ice so Walter gets a few inches of run before it smacks him. That’s how I consistently catch my biggest Eye’s in the winter.
Old 01-02-2024, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
Good stuff. I generally sit a dead stick jig and minnow (I've really been digging the small tungsten jigs from Frostbite) and a flutter spoon on my active rod. Have been debating whether or not a JJ would help my dead stick presentation. I like to set my lines a little ways apart and sometimes by the time I get to the other rod, I've missed a hookset. The JJ should help that...
Buy one I own 6 of them and my buddys have the jiggin jj they work unreal. Perch walleye pike whitefish it don’t matter they catch fish. You won’t be disappointed.
Old 01-02-2024, 09:13 PM

Default Diy jj

Anyone here make their own JawJacker? I see many DIY videos on YouTube.
Old 01-02-2024, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpk1982 View Post
I make my own, I have a 3d printer and use pvc pipe. My jj is close to 20” above the hole so I don’t have to be on my old knees. I don’t think it would possible to lose my rod down the hole because of the legs.
Old 01-02-2024, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
My best setup for jaw jacker walleye is fishing in the evening into the first three hours of the night. I put a large smelt on rigged like I do for pike and then a thill night slip bobber on it laying on the ice so Walter gets a few inches of run before it smacks him. That’s how I consistently catch my biggest Eye’s in the winter.
Oh thats a great idea right there, thanks for sharing!!
Old 01-03-2024, 06:22 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
I made my own jaw jackers and they work great. Had all the spare items and got socked in a few times weather wise so why not spend a few hours and make your own.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-03-2024, 08:26 AM

You're allowed two lines in Alberta. If you're not fishing a second line you're doing it wrong. The JJ is one option to fish the second line, and usually one of the better ones. I usually have Finicky Foolers with me, but I always have Jaw Jackers. And yes they will often outfish you.
Old 01-03-2024, 01:10 PM

I love my JJ's. I have the JJ jigging base too, and find that it generally outfishes me. I typically have a jig head and minnow on it - for both pike and walleye. For dead sticks, the stationary one is deadly because it sets the hook and then holds the rod until you come get it. Key thing is to have the drag set pretty loose so that the fish can run if they need to.
Old 01-03-2024, 05:54 PM

Default Diy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I made my own jaw jackers and they work great. Had all the spare items and got socked in a few times weather wise so why not spend a few hours and make your own.
Care to share any pics? Or is there a specific video you used?
Old 01-03-2024, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Care to share any pics? Or is there a specific video you used?

Hopefully you can zoom into the pic to see the cloths hanger wire at the front and how it is hooked up to the eye of the rod, line runs then on the front of the cloths hanger and down the hole.
When the fish takes the bait it triggers the cloths hanger down releasing the tension on the rod.
I put bells on the rod too.
Neat thing is you can adjust the sensitivity to release by less or more bend in the wire where it goes into the eye of the rod.
YouTube has many videos on this type of homemade jawjacker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-03-2024, 08:04 PM

Homemade jj are Kool and I understand the guys who like to McGyver there own creations. Nothing wrong with that but I’ve have yet to see a homemade jj out perform a brand name jacker. You just can’t duplicate the trigger system like the brand name jaw jacker. !!!
Old 01-03-2024, 08:32 PM

After reading this thread, I dug my JJs out of the basement and realized I had 2 auto jiggers brand new lol! Turns out 40" medium Haat rods fit perfect in a JJ, never would have guessed. Appreciate the inspiration
Old 01-03-2024, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egymcara View Post
Turns out 40" medium Haat rods fit perfect in a JJ, never would have guessed.
Pure heaven that combo. I know guys that are sponsored by other rod companies that run that setup when no one is looking. I like that rod so much I prefer to use it as my held rod. Don't sell them all before I see you again.
Old 01-03-2024, 10:58 PM

Good to know I just happen to have that rod in my arsenal.
Old 01-04-2024, 06:45 AM

Default Diy jj

Quote:

Hopefully you can zoom into the pic to see the cloths hanger wire at the front and how it is hooked up to the eye of the rod, line runs then on the front of the cloths hanger and down the hole.
When the fish takes the bait it triggers the cloths hanger down releasing the tension on the rod.
I put bells on the rod too.
Neat thing is you can adjust the sensitivity to release by less or more bend in the wire where it goes into the eye of the rod.
YouTube has many videos on this type of homemade jawjacker.

Awesome! Thanks. I'm going try to build one of these over the weekend.
Old 01-04-2024, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtsyneil View Post
Homemade jj are Kool and I understand the guys who like to McGyver there own creations. Nothing wrong with that but I’ve have yet to see a homemade jj out perform a brand name jacker. You just can’t duplicate the trigger system like the brand name jaw jacker. !!!

Tend to disagree, ya gotta play with the end that fits in the rod eye for how sensitive you want it accordingly.
I have used ours in a few feet of water for perch, pilke, eyes etc and then lakers in 170 fow.
I see people use the store bought jawjackers but tweak them too.
Both set ups work but need tweaking due to how they are used to target the fish in order to be effective.
End of the day we are aloud two lines in so to maximize potential your missing out if your not doing it.

Old 01-04-2024, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Tend to disagree, ya gotta play with the end that fits in the rod eye for how sensitive you want it accordingly.
I have used ours in a few feet of water for perch, pilke, eyes etc and then lakers in 170 fow.
I see people use the store bought jawjackers but tweak them too.
Both set ups work but need tweaking due to how they are used to target the fish in order to be effective.
End of the day we are aloud two lines in so to maximize potential your missing out if your not doing it.

First off I didn’t say anything about sensitivity!! It’s the trigger system and loop system I was talking about. Sorry but your cloths hanger system not even remotely close to be comparable.
Old 01-04-2024, 11:04 AM

Quote:
First off I didn’t say anything about sensitivity!! It’s the trigger system and loop system I was talking about. Sorry but your cloths hanger system not even remotely close to be comparable.
Somebody asked for a picture and he posted one to help not to be criticized.
Old 01-04-2024, 12:02 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fradaburidi View Post
All good, opinions are always appreciated.

Had a fella out on the ice a few weeks ago, I was running my coat hanger special, after I dialed it in the trout started getting picked off, yup it out fished me...then this fella comes over and asked what I was using for bait, we were using the same bait etc. He eyeballed my coat hanger special and asked a million questions which I gladly explained...now I am not sure how a store bought jaw jacker works but he went back and fiddled with it and yup he caught a few dandies....we had a great time on the ice.

Old 01-04-2024, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fradaburidi View Post
Really!!!!!
Old 01-04-2024, 01:07 PM

Quote:
There's nothing magical about the Jaw Jacker. I have a couple sitting in my shop with irreplaceable broken plastic parts on the trigger system. I have seen other commercial brands and homemade jobs that are just as effective. And even though they are cheap plastic, even the wheels on the jigging bases don't float. Ask me how I know.

I just keep buying them because I'm lazy and they're everywhere when I need a new one.
Old 01-04-2024, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
And even though they are cheap plastic, even the wheels on the jigging bases don't float. Ask me how I know.
Damn! I would have thought they would float. Good to know because it is not a matter of "if" it happens to me.

You can tell if you want to
Old 01-04-2024, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
There's nothing magical about the Jaw Jacker. I have a couple sitting in my shop with irreplaceable broken plastic parts on the trigger system. I have seen other commercial brands and homemade jobs that are just as effective. And even though they are cheap plastic, even the wheels on the jigging bases don't float. Ask me how I know.

I just keep buying them because I'm lazy and they're everywhere when I need a new one.
Yeah there great to have kicking around and yup one wrong step and there broke but they do pack away pretty nice and don’t take up much room. Nothing magical about them but they catch fish and that’s all anybody really wants. I have nothing against guys who build there own and if there catching fish with them then that’s good.