Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
My friends 7 yr old was in practice 2-3 days a week minimum plus 2 games a week, plus travel, plus summer training and spring training, plus christmas training.
Yep sounds perfectly balanced to me.

I don't have a hate on for hockey, I played pond hockey like every other child I knew growing up.
My son plays street hockey with his buddies. In fact I recall a game on this past saturday. The 10 kids played for about 20 minutes then gave it up, put all the equipment away (mostly in my back yard and basement) and returned to riding bikes, skate boards, rollerblades, and playing with skipping ropes, chalk and frisbee.
Minor hockey may not be for every child or family, however for many it is a wonderful experience. I wouldn't force my son to play one minute if he did not want it. In this era of couch potato kids bubble wrapped by parents I see hockey instilling fitness, team work,competition, skill and learning to both win and lose in kids.

Agreed that kids need to be kids but for some they want to be hockey playing kids. I see my sons group of friends have a strong sense of comradarie as hockey players. Just my opinion but this is Canada and hockey is our game (borrowed slogan)
Old 08-06-2013, 09:29 PM

Default Less expensive than sports but still keeps kids busy

Try Cadets. You can start as young as 9 in Navy League, at thirteen you can enroll in Sea Cadets, Air Cadets and Army Cadets. You just need to find a Corps near you and/or a night that works for you. They run from September to May and have camps over the summer that might actually pay your kid to attend. They also have weekend camps over the year.

My daughter was in Navy League Cadets from 9 to 13, then joined Sea Cadets for a year. The next year (last year) was her Grade 9 and she wanted to focus on her studies more and Cadets were a distraction.

Most Corps are free (lend uniforms, boots, instruments, other equipment), but some charge a fee to cover the cost of the above. You need to check it out.

It keeps them out of trouble and gives them discipline and direction. My daughter is a pretty good kid and so is her "guy friend" who is still in Air Cadets and intends on going back next year. He plays the bagpipes. Over the years, my daughter learned to play cymbals and glockenspeil (the vertical silver xylophone).

Cadets is a good option for those who want to get their kids into something but don't want or can't handle the expense. You will have to invest time, you might have to do volunteer work, but in the end, it's worth it. My daughter had some of her best times in Cadets and smiles when she remembers something she did or someone from Cadets.

cgs

"If you can't be kind, be silent." Anon.

Last edited by cgs01; 08-06-2013 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Want to add sentence
Old 08-06-2013, 09:36 PM
Banned

Daughter #1- figure skating 12 yrs
Daughter #2- tennis 12 yrs + competing Heptathlon for Canadian Olympic team..NOW
Daughter #3- Equestrian + horse 10 yrs and now coaches

I'm still paying!!
all at private club ..actually not so private but special
Old 08-06-2013, 10:27 PM

Default It's worth it, in the end.

My 2 sons played hockey and soccer from tiny. And they played football for a couple of years along the way. And track at school, etc. Various levels, and, on occasion, big costs for travel and numerous tournaments, etc. They were never going to be "pros", but they are pretty good athletes, and have a hell of a collection of gold medals and individual trophies - not for "participating", but for accomplishing (winning?). I was very lucky to be able to afford it, and, as often as not, I was a coach/assistant/manager. Our most cherished "sports relics" are those pictures and medals from years when they were on the same team and I was the coach - you can't replace that feeling with anything!! It was at least as fulfilling for me as for them - no pretense otherwise.
A little while back one of my friends who is a Dad of one of their best friends mentioned that he is so thankful of the friendships, attitudes, and accomplishments that they all experienced along the way. None of that group who played and participated together (in various combinations) are in jail or having serious trouble in life in other ways. They are all great young men. My 2 are still organizing and running their own summer men's hockey team and playing indoor soccer in the winter with a men's team that myself and an old "co-conspirator" own, while pursuing their careers in work or university. I give a great deal of credit for this to their experience with organized sporting activities. The teamwork, respect, discipline, and commitment that they learned along the way is serving them very well indeed.
For all the "bubble wrappers" that demean "contact" sports at a young age....? Some kids are definitely not suited to that milieu, which is why there are many other milieus where they can participate. If either of mine had not looked forward to contact hockey or football, they would have been off to non-contact options very quickly, and no recriminations - it isn't for everyone. Hell, playing football was the greatest gift ever for moving up the tiers in peewee and bantam hockey, because they had no fear of competing in that way, even though they were relatively "little". My biggest mantra as a coach wasn't to "win" in the sense of the final score - it was to compete, as hard as you possibly could, as a team - that is what real sports and life are all about (?). And, on occasion, as we certainly did, we won on the scoreboard against more talented opponents, simply because we competed harder and were a better TEAM. The really good coaches that my kids enjoyed along the way had largely the same mantra - the "love puddle" ones, not so much.
I think that "self esteem" does not come from just showing up and being (falsely?) told that one did their best - it comes from actually succeeding in something. If what you are participating in does not fill that role for your offspring, then find something that does. They have SO many choices now!! Just don't go off slagging something that does not suit your son/daughter and trying to change the game to suit their non-competitive preferences. I suffered through a few such parents on our teams, in my time, and, particularly as a volunteer putting in all that time and cost, they were not my favorite people. I never had any hesitation in telling them that their son was in the wrong place, whether generally or in terms of "tiering" and I caught some flack for it, from the "authorities" on occasion. My response was always to "toss them the whistle" and invite them to take my place - oddly (?) no one ever took me up on the offer.
If you are a parent who really cannot afford the cost of the sport your child wants to pursue, then be man/woman enough to suck up your pride on that front, get your parent stuff together, and talk frankly to the volunteers who run the particular club/community about options for obtaining free gear and registration. That is what "Sports Central" here in Edmonton are about. And most communities and clubs are sympathetic to the people who legitimately cannot afford the costs. In all those organizations in which I have been involved we had numerous kids who were "subsidized" at various levels - sometimes just by myself and the other team coaches/parents, and often by the club/community. The only "shame" involved is not asking - you'd be surprised at the level of very discreet support there is for such circumstances. The people who run these things are, in most cases, absolutely the best of the best in terms of really caring about the kids.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
If by Bantam your kid isn't playing AAA there is about a snowballs chance in hell they could even come remotely close to going pro!

That's my kid right there, he will never go pro, never probably go any hugher than beer league!

My kid for example lives for the game, he breaths it through his lungs.

Sorry kid we are gonna starve you of the one thing you love. You won't here that from my lips! I'll give up trips, stay home and sell some guns if that's what it takes to keep him happy, and oh ya active, outta trouble, and learning life lessons!
Good post, good dad. Luckily my kids are still young enough their hockey gear isn't bad. First year ball second year hockey, well worth it to see my lil princess joyous. You got off light on the sons equipment I got new skates this year and a new stick. Total somewhere north of $600.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I am grooming Willy for Beer league status.
Either he makes it on his Skill or his sense of humor.

I had better see him at 11:30 at night when he is 30 years old playing in some far flung arena, or I am going to be severely disappointed.

Absolutely Hockey is our main source of entertainment. But the minute he doesn't want to play, we move on.

Jamie
Hockey is a gift for life. I will always enjoy the smell of fresh ice and overlooked fries. The kids still think its cool that dads "training" for beer league Lol. being the old guy shouldn't be obvious 36 playing with 20-27 year olds with only one other plus 30 so a lil "training" helps me not humiliate myself. But anyway hockey I am grateful for my parents and love the idea of my kids enjoying it as much as I have.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedlap View Post
My 2 sons played hockey and soccer from tiny. And they played football for a couple of years along the way. And track at school, etc. Various levels, and, on occasion, big costs for travel and numerous tournaments, etc. They were never going to be "pros", but they are pretty good athletes, and have a hell of a collection of gold medals and individual trophies - not for "participating", but for accomplishing (winning?). I was very lucky to be able to afford it, and, as often as not, I was a coach/assistant/manager. Our most cherished "sports relics" are those pictures and medals from years when they were on the same team and I was the coach - you can't replace that feeling with anything!! It was at least as fulfilling for me as for them - no pretense otherwise.
A little while back one of my friends who is a Dad of one of their best friends mentioned that he is so thankful of the friendships, attitudes, and accomplishments that they all experienced along the way. None of that group who played and participated together (in various combinations) are in jail or having serious trouble in life in other ways. They are all great young men. My 2 are still organizing and running their own summer men's hockyey team and playing indoor soccer in the winter with a men's team that myself and an old "co-conspirator" own, while pursuing their careers in work or university. I give a great deal of credit for this to their experience with organized sporting activities. The teamwork, respect, discipline, and commitment that they learned along the way is serving them very well indeed.
For all the "bubble wrappers" that demean "contact" sports at a young age....? Some kids are definitely not suited to that milieu, which is why there are many other milieus where they can participate. If either of mine had not looked forward to contact hockey or football, they would have been off to non-contact options very quickly, and no recriminations - it isn't for everyone. Hell, playing football was the greatest gift ever for moving up the tiers in peewee and bantam hockey, because they had no fear of competing in that way, even though they were relatively "little". My biggest mantra as a coach wasn't to "win" in the sense of the final score - it was to compete, as hard as you possibly could, as a team - that is what real sports and life are all about (?). And, on occasion, as we certainly did, we won on the scoreboard against more talented opponents, simply because we competed harder and were a better TEAM. The really good coaches that my kids enjoyed along the way had largely the same mantra - the "love puddle" ones, not so much.
I think that "self esteem" does not come from just showing up and being (falsely?) told that one did their best - it comes from actually succeeding in something. If what you are participating in does not fill that role for your offspring, then find something that does. They have SO many choices now!! Just don't go off slagging something that does not suit your son/daughter and trying to change the game to suit their non-competitive preferences. I suffered through a few such parents on our teams, in my time, and, particularly as a volunteer putting in all that time and cost, they were not my favorite people. I never had any hesitation in telling them that their son was in the wrong place, whether generally or in terms of "tiering" and I caught some flack for it, from the "authorities" on occasion. My response was always to "toss them the whistle" and invite them to take my place - oddly (?) no one ever took me up on the offer.
If you are a parent who really cannot afford the cost of the sport your child wants to pursue, then be man/woman enough to suck up your pride on that front, get your parent stuff together, and talk frankly to the volunteers who run the particular club/community about options for obtaining free gear and registration. That is what "Sports Central" here in Edmonton are about. And most communities and clubs are sympathetic to the people who legitimately cannot afford the costs. In all those organizations in which I have been involved we had numerous kids who were "subsidized" at various levels - sometimes just by myself and the other team coaches/parents, and often by the club/community. The only "shame" involved is not asking - you'd be surprised at the level of very discreet support there is for such circumstances. The people who run these things are, in most cases, absolutely the best of the best in terms of really caring about the kids.
Great post!
I would coach with you or let Willy play with you in any sport.
Love the attitude.
It's not about winning
It's not all about "fun"
It's about competing and doing your best as a member of a team.
It's about getting better on a skill level
It's about getting better on a personal level

Enjoy all of it, and the fun will come.
Learning how to sacrifice is a major part of it.
Once kids figure out that a bit of sacrifice does wonders for a team, things start to work.

Jamie
Old 08-07-2013, 10:29 AM

Thanks Guys... Awesome coach I agree with Jamie....

Today when I go and play hockey and I feel tired, old, fat and slow... I sit on the bench lean my head against the boards and close my eyes and listen to the sound of the game.... The skates on the ice... the puck sliding, the sound of effort... the puck coming off a stick onto another stick, off the boards, the goalie... the post or...SILENCE...as it hits net...

when I do this I am 6 years old again, and it revs me up. That is a gift that i have been given.

I was a kid who loved the game from an early age. I was 3 and I wanted to skate, my parents got me some skates and away I went... I borrowed a stick and learned to play pond hockey. then I played every chance I could at the school rink, in the morning, at recess and lunch, after school then after supper and homework and I always hoped my parents would forget about me. In winter I was in skates more than shoes... in fact I used to put my skate guards on and sit in class because recess was only 15 minutes long and I could play for an extra 5 minutes if I did not have to tie my skates.

My parents detested hockey. They did not mind me playing pond hockey but there was no way I could play organised hockey because theyu di not wantthe commitment nor could they afford it. I played on school teams with equipment bought from my paper routes and shovelling snow/mowing lawns. I did well and loved the game because I had to work hard to play.

Finally when I was 10 a neighbour who was a coach let me play with his son and took me to the practices and games and I paid my own ice fees. I had never played organised hockey before and I was in PeeWee with full contact. I did not understand passing because in pond hockey it was all about skating with the puck. the advantage is that if you wanted to get the puck you had to work hard and play good. The coach put me on defense even though I was small because I could play a 1 on 1 game better than anyone else and when I got the puck i would fly. It took the whole season and I learned the passing game and then I loved the game even more.

As time progressed I got to play more and more and in 2nd year of bantam in playoffs there was a scrum in front of our net (I was smallest kid on the team) and I got knocked over and a kid fell on my outstretched leg and wrapped my knee around the post. That ended my season and was the final playoff game and we won. I woke up in hospital and had went through surgery. I was told hockey was over, skating was out of question and that I would always walk with a limp. I refused to accept this and I trained, worked, and pushed myself and enrolled in midget the next year. I had a weak knee that I still have to this day so it created some limits, my mobility was affected and I could only turn one way so I switched sides on defense and played right def. i continued through and made Junior A and played for Prince George Spruce Kings. I also went through a huge groiwth spurt and became one of the biggest on the team. Think of Theoren Feury suddenly gaining the size of Messier with all the attitude. I loved the game but hated the parents and the fans at that point. I was still self sponsored and my Dad never came to a SINGLE Game. As big mean guy I had to drop the gloves often and even managed some repsectable numbers. I knew I did not have the skating or shooting skill to advance without answering the bell and I did everything asked of me even though I did not enjoy certain aspects required at a higher level then.

It was not all roses, I remember after laying a clean check on a player and taking the puck having a parent/fan yelling at their kid to "Kill HIM" and the kid two handing me in the spine between the pants and the shoulder pads...and putting me out for a week. The kid apologised so many times as I was on the stretcher and I think he even quit hockey. Which was unfortunate as he was very talented.

As time progressed I ended up with some awesome experiences and ended up with a full ride scholarship for hockey in the US. I played the first part of the season and then shattered my other knee snowmobiling over Christmas break. That one took many years to heal and finally in major surger with almost a replacement required. 20 years later I took to skates again and I still love the game.

The main point of this is that my parents never attended a single game. Not even when I sent them tickets. I was one of those kids who experienced the opposite feeling. When my 6 and 5 year old asked to play hockey...what do you think I said and felt. I remember the experiences I had and don't want to be THAT parent/Fan. Do I yeel encouragement... you bet I do... Do I celbrate success... you bet I do.... Often our parents look at me when I also yell encouragement to the other team too. Such as when their goalie makes an awesome save.

So do what your kids want, support them even if you don't always agree with it. Yes I had injuries in hockey but I always was all in and was injured in many other activities as well. Hockey I suffered a bad knee, and have scar tissue on my spine/shoulderblade. But I broke other bones snowmobiling, skiing, playing soccer, and even badminton....

I still love the game and seeing my boys love it and have the opportunity I never had yet wished I had feels good.! They are smiling and learning...so it is good. I don't care how far they go or what they do but if they keep playing...so much the better.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgs01 View Post
Try Cadets. You can start as young as 9 in Navy League, at thirteen you can enroll in Sea Cadets, Air Cadets and Army Cadets. You just need to find a Corps near you and/or a night that works for you. They run from September to May and have camps over the summer that might actually pay your kid to attend. They also have weekend camps over the year.

My daughter was in Navy League Cadets from 9 to 13, then joined Sea Cadets for a year. The next year (last year) was her Grade 9 and she wanted to focus on her studies more and Cadets were a distraction.

Most Corps are free (lend uniforms, boots, instruments, other equipment), but some charge a fee to cover the cost of the above. You need to check it out.

It keeps them out of trouble and gives them discipline and direction. My daughter is a pretty good kid and so is her "guy friend" who is still in Air Cadets and intends on going back next year. He plays the bagpipes. Over the years, my daughter learned to play cymbals and glockenspeil (the vertical silver xylophone).

Cadets is a good option for those who want to get their kids into something but don't want or can't handle the expense. You will have to invest time, you might have to do volunteer work, but in the end, it's worth it. My daughter had some of her best times in Cadets and smiles when she remembers something she did or someone from Cadets.

cgs
X2 was in 279 squadron in elkford air cadets, single mom didnt have cash for really anything, so i went in at 13, a buddy got me to join and I stayed in it till I was 18, it was a great time for me in my childhood, i was on the fence where buddies were breakin into cars gettin ito drugs and crap like that, but i stuck with the air cadets, it taught leadership and a lot of valuable lessons for life, one of the best time I had was in the first aid competions, they fly us every year to royal rhodes millitary school in victoria, we usally placed in the top 10 of all squadrons in bc..Iv been trying to get my 11yr old interested for when he is old enough..
Old 08-07-2013, 06:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
Thanks Guys... Awesome coach I agree with Jamie....

Today when I go and play hockey and I feel tired, old, fat and slow... I sit on the bench lean my head against the boards and close my eyes and listen to the sound of the game.... The skates on the ice... the puck sliding, the sound of effort... the puck coming off a stick onto another stick, off the boards, the goalie... the post or...SILENCE...as it hits net...

when I do this I am 6 years old again, and it revs me up. That is a gift that i have been given.

I was a kid who loved the game from an early age. I was 3 and I wanted to skate, my parents got me some skates and away I went... I borrowed a stick and learned to play pond hockey. then I played every chance I could at the school rink, in the morning, at recess and lunch, after school then after supper and homework and I always hoped my parents would forget about me. In winter I was in skates more than shoes... in fact I used to put my skate guards on and sit in class because recess was only 15 minutes long and I could play for an extra 5 minutes if I did not have to tie my skates.

My parents detested hockey. They did not mind me playing pond hockey but there was no way I could play organised hockey because theyu di not wantthe commitment nor could they afford it. I played on school teams with equipment bought from my paper routes and shovelling snow/mowing lawns. I did well and loved the game because I had to work hard to play.

Finally when I was 10 a neighbour who was a coach let me play with his son and took me to the practices and games and I paid my own ice fees. I had never played organised hockey before and I was in PeeWee with full contact. I did not understand passing because in pond hockey it was all about skating with the puck. the advantage is that if you wanted to get the puck you had to work hard and play good. The coach put me on defense even though I was small because I could play a 1 on 1 game better than anyone else and when I got the puck i would fly. It took the whole season and I learned the passing game and then I loved the game even more.

As time progressed I got to play more and more and in 2nd year of bantam in playoffs there was a scrum in front of our net (I was smallest kid on the team) and I got knocked over and a kid fell on my outstretched leg and wrapped my knee around the post. That ended my season and was the final playoff game and we won. I woke up in hospital and had went through surgery. I was told hockey was over, skating was out of question and that I would always walk with a limp. I refused to accept this and I trained, worked, and pushed myself and enrolled in midget the next year. I had a weak knee that I still have to this day so it created some limits, my mobility was affected and I could only turn one way so I switched sides on defense and played right def. i continued through and made Junior A and played for Prince George Spruce Kings. I also went through a huge groiwth spurt and became one of the biggest on the team. Think of Theoren Feury suddenly gaining the size of Messier with all the attitude. I loved the game but hated the parents and the fans at that point. I was still self sponsored and my Dad never came to a SINGLE Game. As big mean guy I had to drop the gloves often and even managed some repsectable numbers. I knew I did not have the skating or shooting skill to advance without answering the bell and I did everything asked of me even though I did not enjoy certain aspects required at a higher level then.

It was not all roses, I remember after laying a clean check on a player and taking the puck having a parent/fan yelling at their kid to "Kill HIM" and the kid two handing me in the spine between the pants and the shoulder pads...and putting me out for a week. The kid apologised so many times as I was on the stretcher and I think he even quit hockey. Which was unfortunate as he was very talented.

As time progressed I ended up with some awesome experiences and ended up with a full ride scholarship for hockey in the US. I played the first part of the season and then shattered my other knee snowmobiling over Christmas break. That one took many years to heal and finally in major surger with almost a replacement required. 20 years later I took to skates again and I still love the game.

The main point of this is that my parents never attended a single game. Not even when I sent them tickets. I was one of those kids who experienced the opposite feeling. When my 6 and 5 year old asked to play hockey...what do you think I said and felt. I remember the experiences I had and don't want to be THAT parent/Fan. Do I yeel encouragement... you bet I do... Do I celbrate success... you bet I do.... Often our parents look at me when I also yell encouragement to the other team too. Such as when their goalie makes an awesome save.

So do what your kids want, support them even if you don't always agree with it. Yes I had injuries in hockey but I always was all in and was injured in many other activities as well. Hockey I suffered a bad knee, and have scar tissue on my spine/shoulderblade. But I broke other bones snowmobiling, skiing, playing soccer, and even badminton....

I still love the game and seeing my boys love it and have the opportunity I never had yet wished I had feels good.! They are smiling and learning...so it is good. I don't care how far they go or what they do but if they keep playing...so much the better.
This post deserves to be pinned to the top.
What a story!
In fact once we get the "Minor hockey" thread going I think it should be the very first post!
Thanks for sharing Nekred. It was a great read.
Mind if I print it off and post in the Arena?
Definitely going to pass parts around to the team for homework reading.

Jamie