Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
No matter the difference in Covid management the US and Canada are going to see very different results do to population density and number of major airports the increased in the initial impact from international travel.

Canada’s main success is do to our density and let’s be honest the main outbreak was during the winter when a good portion are staying in do to the cold as well

I don’t think the US did a good job handling things but there is way more at play than what management plan a country uses
When you see a president of a country willingly bringing thousands of people into tight confines (rallies) , down playing current health practices (face masks), and minimizing the disease itself (kung flu), how can you say that ?? Canada has done a respectable job, and continues to make decisions based on the most current data available, where as our southern neighbour openly makes like of it. They are currently paying the price of that ignorance.
Old 06-27-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osky View Post
If you watched the clip and couldn’t figure out he was joking, maybe back away from the remote control for a while, things won’t be so confusing for you.

Osky
I believe he was sarcastic, but the joke is on those that see it as a joke. The pandemic as an issue will fade as more pressing issues develop. The concern is that the same tactics are being applied to a bumbling foreign policy, national division, trade, out of control spending, health care, Justice, ....
Old 06-27-2020, 02:24 PM

There is no doubt the situation in the US is about to explode into massive casualties and deaths.

This is a direct result of the current Administrations unwillingness to address, confront and execute the directions of their own experts.

Further to that, there seems to be systematic attempt to discount, ignore and blatantly lie about the scope and severity of the issue and protective measures.

So ...........as long as all the working man suckers go to work, risk their lives to protect his equity and his personal economic interest, while he hides like a coward and keeps feeding us BS .............everything is just fine. Ignorance is bliss and a compliant society of sheep is a perfect flock for any dictator.

The REAL problem is Trump, who's not known to be particularly insightful, doesn't realize by doing this, he may drag it out longer, and actually make things worse.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
There is no doubt the situation in the US is about to explode into massive casualties and deaths.

This is a direct result of the current Administrations unwillingness to address, confront and execute the directions of their own experts.

Further to that, there seems to be systematic attempt to discount, ignore and blatantly lie about the scope and severity of the issue and protective measures.

So ...........as long as all the working man suckers go to work, risk their lives to protect his equity and his personal economic interest, while he hides like a coward and keeps feeding us BS .............everything is just fine. Ignorance is bliss and a compliant society of sheep is a perfect flock for any dictator.

The REAL problem is Trump, who's not known to be particularly insightful, doesn't realize by doing this, he may drag it out longer, and actually make things worse.
Such colourful and descriptive language. The Joe Biden campaign endorses your message.

https://youtu.be/v9NYS53lbk8

-Billy Molls

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 06-27-2020 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Such colourful and descriptive language. The Joe Biden campaign endorses your message.

https://youtu.be/v9NYS53lbk8
Thanks Chuck. Appreciate the shout out.

My message wouldn't be possible without Trump .....
Old 06-27-2020, 03:35 PM

There is something I can finally blame Trump for.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-27-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:

I agree with everything except the first line. Their infected numbers are very, very high… But it really depends who is getting infected. If the elderly and people with poor health/pre-existing conditions, are isolated, then I don’t know if you will see mass numbers of deaths. I guess we will see in the next few days and weeks. Maybe I’m out to lunch… I have not really been listening to the news personally… Just looking at the overall numbers. It seems like it’s really easy for the news to cherry pick certain details on either side to make whatever point they want to make.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherdan View Post
I agree with everything except the first line. Their infected numbers are very, very high… But it really depends who is getting infected. If the elderly and people with poor health/pre-existing conditions, are isolated, then I don’t know if you will see mass numbers of deaths. I guess we will see in the next few days and weeks. Maybe I’m out to lunch… I have not really been listening to the news personally… Just looking at the overall numbers. It seems like it’s really easy for the news to cherry pick certain details on either side to make whatever point they want to make.
A really well written article on who's most at risk.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...dian/#comments
Old 06-27-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:

It's strange you like to continually blame the Trump administration for the errors of the Governors. Trump did what was expected of the federal government and closed borders, and he did it faster than say our government.
Several of the governors (most notably those of NY and NJ) completely failed their states by not following federal guidelines and forcing old age homes to accept sick patients. That is why fatality rates are so high in several states.
Also the US is a large country and many states don't have major on going issues. Strangely quite a few of those that do, have also had large protests sponsored by BLM and supported by the MSM. In NY city the mayor has even directed the contact tracers to not ask about participation in the protests (why do you suppose?).
Old 06-27-2020, 07:16 PM

Default Yes but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
It's strange you like to continually blame the Trump administration for the errors of the Governors. Trump did what was expected of the federal government and closed borders, and he did it faster than say our government.
Several of the governors (most notably those of NY and NJ) completely failed their states by not following federal guidelines and forcing old age homes to accept sick patients. That is why fatality rates are so high in several states.
Also the US is a large country and many states don't have major on going issues. Strangely quite a few of those that do, have also had large protests sponsored by BLM and supported by the MSM. In NY city the mayor has even directed the contact tracers to not ask about participation in the protests (why do you suppose?).
You mean the same Trump that said in:

January: "...one person coming in from China. We have it under control."
February: "By April, when it gets warmer, it miraculously goes away...", "...their new (Democratic) hoax", "...just 15 people in this country...".
March: "Within two months, in the meantime, we want to lose as few people as possible"., "32 deaths, 32 is a lot, 32 is too many".
"I'd rate my response as a 10...", "I don't take responsibility at all (for the delay in testing)".
April: "... then I see the disinfectant where it knocks it out in a minute, one minute, and is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside, or, almost a cleaning..."

Pandemics require a unified federal response to effectively control them. Your top leader is actually supposed to lead...
Old 06-27-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac View Post
You mean the same Trump that said in:

January: "...one person coming in from China. We have it under control."
February: "By April, when it gets warmer, it miraculously goes away...", "...their new (Democratic) hoax", "...just 15 people in this country...".
March: "Within two months, in the meantime, we want to lose as few people as possible"., "32 deaths, 32 is a lot, 32 is too many".
"I'd rate my response as a 10...", "I don't take responsibility at all (for the delay in testing)".
April: "... then I see the disinfectant where it knocks it out in a minute, one minute, and is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside, or, almost a cleaning..."

Pandemics require a unified federal response to effectively control them. Your top leader is actually supposed to lead...

Agreed ... and were is the Supreme Leader hiding in a bunker, no he's out playing golf.... but he'll be back in a corner soon .... & no one will be laughing.

Old 06-27-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Trump posed it as his most difficult decision, then passed the buck onto the governors, then sat back and chided thier efforts. This is a national crisis requiring a national plan.

So Im wondering, what will be the implications of the China machine up and running while the US stumbles at each step.
Old 06-27-2020, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
When you see a president of a country willingly bringing thousands of people into tight confines (rallies) , down playing current health practices (face masks), and minimizing the disease itself (kung flu), how can you say that ?? Canada has done a respectable job, and continues to make decisions based on the most current data available, where as our southern neighbour openly makes like of it. They are currently paying the price of that ignorance.
Read my post again and you will see at no point do I mention the US is doing a good job but instead state the fact that the US is a very different situation considering it’s density and international higher amount of international travel

Apples to oranges really
Old 06-27-2020, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Read the next few posts from other contributors. It's not just my TDS for Trump here.

Trump has said so many stupid things, minimized, deflected or lied about so many things regarding Covid there isn't a doubt in most people's minds about this. I can't remember the exact stat I saw, but something like 65% of Americans were unhappy with what he has done with regards to Covid.

It's not just me, and there are plenty of examples.

Anyhow ........

His leadership influences many governors and he places pressure to comply with his delusional and misguided wishes. When blue state governors followed the advice as prescribed by the experts - Trump inflamed, encouraged and instructed his supporters in those states to take contradictory action and resist the instructions from the governors - so, sorry, it's complete BS that he allowed the governors to do what they need or wanted to do.

Sorry Bud, Completely Disagree.

We need an adult in office who will lead - not anarchist and agitator right now. Even his supporters are getting tired of him. You can only drink so much Kool Aid before you've had enough juice.
Old 06-27-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:

Trump dismantled the U.S. national pandemic team, a team of experts, in 2017-2018. Oh snap!

Not only is he the smartest man on the planet but he's a visionary as well.

Have no fear tho. Donnie and Mikey are on it. What could go wrong with two anti-science neandrathals steering the ship,?
Old 06-27-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
X2
Old 06-28-2020, 10:45 AM

Trump just got his report card for how well he is handling the pandemic. Presently 14% behind Biden in approval rating.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:30 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Florida and Texas taking a beating now...ignorance runs amuck in these states....keep the borders closed so none get loose up here we got enough idiots just somewhat more contained....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-28-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Trump just got his report card for how well he is handling the pandemic. Presently 14% behind Biden in approval rating.
Is that 14% as accurate as the polls that showed Hilary whupping Trump in 2016?
Old 06-28-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Nobody is being protected in the current plan.

Latest research suggests all these young people with asymptomatic infections are getting lung damage but are not gaining long term immunity.

This means the infection will start to cycle.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-28-2020, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post

Latest research suggests all these young people with asymptomatic infections are getting lung damage but are not gaining long term immunity.

Well the one study I assume you are quoting followed asymptomatic carriers and found at one time the showed lung damage consistent with many respiratory diseases. However it heals and is gone. As for gaining the immunity part that same study showed a higher percentage of asymptomatic carriers didnt have the antibodies in their system after a certain time period compared to symptomatic carriers. However that actually makes sense as your body will no longer create antibodies to fight a nonexistent disease but you do store a memory in your cells of that disease so your body creates the correct antibodies sooner the next time it comes around.
That was the conclusion of the only study I have seen that followed asymptomatic carriers. However if you have another study to reference please do so I would love to read it.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Is an island. A small one.
Yeah....really small.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:41 PM

Quote:

The average age of Covid death is in the 80s. In Quebec, for example the median age was 84. This is several years older than typical life expectancy.

Procedures for nursing homes, hospitals, etc. have all changed throughout most of the world. A few months ago, the most vulnerable were not being protected. That is different now.

Despite the high infection rates in the USA, only 280 deaths recorded earlier today. Just over 500 yesterday. (If Canada suddenly had 50 and then 28 deaths, it would be bad... but not “sky is falling” bad)

At the beginning of April, the States was seeing similar infection rates but with more than four times the deaths.

I suspect this is due to a combination of more testing, as well as procedures protecting the most at risk.

I don’t disagree with the severity of the disease. It is a killer. Big time. And I don’t disagree with the horrible leadership south of the border. I just happen to think that the typical American is actually a lot smarter than the crappy leaders they are forced to choose from.

My parents are in their 70s. They are living in a bubble, as are many other people in and around their age group. They are not taking any chances. The demographic that I feel worst for is people in their 50s and 60s who are still working, and cannot afford to maintain a bubble. That demographic will likely be hit pretty hard in the states the way things are going.

Scott posted a link to an article that featured a 60-year-old man who was very healthy, albeit with hypertension and kidney issues. He made it, but barely. I think there are a lot of people in a similar boat, who need to be extremely careful.

But as long as the hospitals aren’t overwhelmed, they USA should manage (not fall apart like much of Europe did). Right now, none of us know. We will see how things unfold in the next two weeks.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
The average age of Covid death is in the 80s. In Quebec, for example the median age was 84. This is several years older than typical life expectancy.

Procedures for nursing homes, hospitals, etc. have all changed throughout most of the world. A few months ago, the most vulnerable were not being protected. That is different now.

Despite the high infection rates in the USA, only 280 deaths recorded earlier today. Just over 500 yesterday. (If Canada suddenly had 50 and then 28 deaths, it would be bad... but not “sky is falling” bad)

At the beginning of April, the States was seeing similar infection rates but with more than four times the deaths.

I suspect this is due to a combination of more testing, as well as procedures protecting the most at risk.

I don’t disagree with the severity of the disease. It is a killer. Big time. And I don’t disagree with the horrible leadership south of the border. I just happen to think that the typical American is actually a lot smarter than the crappy leaders they are forced to choose from.

My parents are in their 70s. They are living in a bubble, as are many other people in and around their age group. They are not taking any chances. The demographic that I feel worst for is people in their 50s and 60s who are still working, and cannot afford to maintain a bubble. That demographic will likely be hit pretty hard in the states the way things are going.

Scott posted a link to an article that featured a 60-year-old man who was very healthy, albeit with hypertension and kidney issues. He made it, but barely. I think there are a lot of people in a similar boat, who need to be extremely careful.

But as long as the hospitals aren’t overwhelmed, they USA should manage (not fall apart like much of Europe did). Right now, none of us know. We will see how things unfold in the next two weeks.
Fingers crossed for the US however deaths lag infection rate. Since this is just blowing up now... deaths should then spike in about 2-4 weeks.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-28-2020, 11:02 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Fingers crossed for the US however deaths lag infection rate. Since this is just blowing up now... deaths should then spike in about 2-4 weeks.
Yes, fingers crossed 🤞
Old 06-28-2020, 11:41 PM

Well looks like the turd just give away another $300 million a pledge international fight against covid19
Old 06-28-2020, 11:56 PM

Default well

I sent a trade offer to the Philippine embassy during the spat over the Canadian garbage .We take back the garbage they take Trudeau.No response? I tried.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
Trump posed it as his most difficult decision, then passed the buck onto the governors, then sat back and chided thier efforts. This is a national crisis requiring a national plan.

So Im wondering, what will be the implications of the China machine up and running while the US stumbles at each step.
Nonsense.
First of all, the US like Canada leaves health care as the domain of the states (provinces). Look at Canada and you will see that each province dealt with things differently and Quebec by and large failed.
Similarly in the US, NY and NJ failed spectacularly. Notably they ignored federal direction on isolation of elderly populations and killed of a significant portion of their older population.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:41 AM

West Jet just called the mother in law back to work. She was one of over 10,000 let go. They are filling the planes and amping up more runs within Canada with no distancing between seats. No food service and masks are mandatory.

Let’s see what happens once people start travelling throughout the country
Old 06-29-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Read the next few posts from other contributors. It's not just my TDS for Trump here.

Trump has said so many stupid things, minimized, deflected or lied about so many things regarding Covid there isn't a doubt in most people's minds about this. I can't remember the exact stat I saw, but something like 65% of Americans were unhappy with what he has done with regards to Covid.

It's not just me, and there are plenty of examples.

Anyhow ........

His leadership influences many governors and he places pressure to comply with his delusional and misguided wishes. When blue state governors followed the advice as prescribed by the experts - Trump inflamed, encouraged and instructed his supporters in those states to take contradictory action and resist the instructions from the governors - so, sorry, it's complete BS that he allowed the governors to do what they need or wanted to do.

Sorry Bud, Completely Disagree.

We need an adult in office who will lead - not anarchist and agitator right now. Even his supporters are getting tired of him. You can only drink so much Kool Aid before you've had enough juice.
Ok, so if several people post uninformed anti Trump, anti US posts, it isn't TDS, got it.

Look, there are lots of moving parts, but to look at the US as a whole and blame everything on Trump or even the federal government is the height of ignorance. Just as in Canada, the federal government controls some things and can only effect limited things. Alberta followed a made in Alberta approach that was different from other provinces. Trudeau failed to act quickly on border closings, but after that it was up to the provinces to do the right thing. Quebec very obviously failed and had a mortality rate greater than that of the US as a whole.
There were plenty of blue state Dem governors that blamed Trump for their own shortfalls (NY and NJ are prime examples).
As for the current resurgence, assuming it was not caused by rioting and protesting, then just maybe some governors relaxed controls too soon, it is strange though that the resurgence is mostly geographical in nature. Also note that many Northern states have rates lower than Alberta which is doing better than most provinces:

Closed Thread