Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 09:51 AM

10 million cases on our planet currently. That works out to .125 percent of the worlds population give or take a Pygmy or two that couldn’t be reached during the census process. That’s if we go with a world population of 8 billion.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:14 AM

Love all the USA bashing...CBC central right here on AO...

Meanwhile in Canada our illustrious leader has been in self inflicted Quarantine for how many months Now.?????....And is he not the same fearless leader who allowed flights in from China for MONTHS after the "pandemic" was declared.?... And now his solution is to track you on your phone...Dissolve parliament..Send Billions of dollars off shore for a Bid on a UN seat.... Make his wife's charity the receiver of millions of TAX payers dollars.....The list goes on but.....

Yup keep bashing the USA ....Canada is so much better off with sparkle socks at the helm.....
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post

Meanwhile in Canada our illustrious leader has been in self inflicted Quarantine for how many months Now.?????....And is he not the same fearless leader who allowed flights in from China for MONTHS after the "pandemic" was declared.?... And now his solution is to track you on your phone...Dissolve parliament..Send Billions of dollars off shore for a Bid on a UN seat.... Make his wife's charity the receiver of millions of TAX payers dollars.....The list goes on but.....

Yup keep bashing the USA ....Canada is so much better off with sparkle socks at the helm.....

Absolutely agree with you.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post

Yep.
CBC central. That's funny
Old 06-29-2020, 01:46 PM

IRONICALLY - The thread is specifically about the US, and the Covid outbreak …… contributors are discussing this issue and have offered their perspective on the US and what's going on down there and the administration's handling of Covid.

Apparently that's hard for some to understand.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:58 PM

Here is what matters.

According to the Centre for Disease Control 26 people in 10,000 infected cases die from Covid-19.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-29-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Here is what matters.

According to the Centre for Disease Control 26 people in 10,000 infected cases die from Covid-19.
I think the CDC is reporting a death rate almost 20 times higher - I have attached the link........

Directly from the CDC's website .....

2,545,250 cases and 126,369 deaths = .049%

so 10,000 infections = 490 deaths ........ not 26

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...es-deaths.html
Old 06-29-2020, 05:57 PM

Finally someone on here admits the truth. Thank you. Over 99% of those who are known to have been infected live.

Now can we get on with our lives.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-29-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Finally someone on here admits the truth. Thank you. Over 99% of those who are known to have been infected live.

Now can we get on with our lives.
......... and .......... strike 2 chuck .......... have a closer look

Again, this information direct from the source YOU quoted.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I think the CDC is reporting a death rate almost 20 times higher - I have attached the link........

Directly from the CDC's website .....

2,545,250 cases and 126,369 deaths = .049%

so 10,000 infections = 490 deaths ........ not 26

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...es-deaths.html
That's a 4.9% death rate, or to put it a different way.....1 out of every 20 people that catches covid will die........
Old 06-29-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
That's a 4.9% death rate, or to put it a different way.....1 out of every 20 people that catches covid will die........
Canada's death rate is significantly higher with 100,000 inflections and over 8,000 deaths (round figures).
Old 06-29-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Canada's death rate is significantly higher with 100,000 inflections and over 8,000 deaths (round figures).
Absolutely.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Absolutely.
Scary if you think about it ...... so you have 12 people over for a BBQ at your place .... one person comes over with Covid and infects the other 11 ....... one of those 12 people will die.

Crazy.

The position many government organizations and public officers have taken is to avoid using % or ratios to describe how deadly this virus really is. I would think that putting the numbers in a way as described above would allow more people to understand how serious this is and it would likely cause a panic.

I don't blame them - hate thinking about it that way.

When they use rates instead of % or ratios - most people can't figure it out (or relate to the scope/impact of the numbers)
Old 06-29-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Scary if you think about it ...... so you have 12 people over for a BBQ at your place .... one person comes over with Covid and infects the other 11 ....... one of those 12 people will die.

Crazy.

The position many government organizations and public officers have taken is to avoid using % or ratios to describe how deadly this virus really is. I would think that putting the numbers in a way as described above would allow more people to understand how serious this is and it would likely cause a panic.

When they use rates instead of % or ratios - most people can't figure it out (or relate to the scope/impact of the numbers)
That's exactly the reason that people who deal with Covid patients take it so seriously. The numbers are off the charts, compared to something like influenza. The 1918 Spanish flu had an estimated 2.5% mortality rate.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:34 PM

Quote:
That's exactly the reason that people who deal with Covid patients take it so seriously. The numbers are off the charts, compared to something like influenza. The 1918 Spanish flu had an estimated 2.5% mortality rate.

Wait a minute. According to statisca.com the average daily death toll from flu/influenza 2019-2020 in the US Is 331 per day. Covid yesterday was 285 deaths nationwide and has been dropping for some time now.

Osky
Old 06-29-2020, 09:40 PM

And meanwhile in Canada, over 800 cases among temporary foreign workers in Ontario alone, 98 on a single farm. So much for closing borders to stop the spread.

https://www.chch.com/98-new-covid-19...or-essex-farm/
Old 06-29-2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osky View Post
Wait a minute. According to statisca.com the average daily death toll from flu/influenza 2019-2020 in the US Is 331 per day. Covid yesterday was 285 deaths nationwide and has been dropping for some time now.

Osky
If you take the CDC's numbers they have an estimate of 24,000-36,000 influenza deaths for a 12 month period ending April 2020. That works out to 2000-3000 persons a month.
So far Covid19 has killed 130,000 for 5 months, which works out to over 25000 people a month in the US.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden...-estimates.htm
Old 06-29-2020, 10:14 PM

Quote:

Plus nobody ever mentions the long term effects of the disease. " Congratulations Bob you pulled through and we can pull that ventilator out of your lungs." "Bad news is your lungs are permanently scarred and have pinholes all over." Your running days are over Bob and meet your new travel companion, Mr Oxygen Bottle."
Old 06-29-2020, 10:25 PM
Banned

I love people that always compare covid to the flu and say what is the big deal. Yes the entire world is just over-reacting. One of the countries that is thinking that way has the most cases the USA. I know they are smarter than all other countries yeah right. They are just flowing Tidiot. Ok everyone USA USA USA!!
Analogy is like people going to see a doctor who tells them what disease they have and what they need to do to heal and they just saying they know better and don’t have to do anything I am young I will survive. Heck we should just exchange all our doctors with statisticians instead. We could save a pile of money by shutting down all the hospitals and as some people have been saying can’t stop Mother Nature. Survival of the fittest period.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Plus nobody ever mentions the long term effects of the disease. " Congratulations Bob you pulled through and we can pull that ventilator out of your lungs." "Bad news is your lungs are permanently scarred and have pinholes all over." Your running days are over Bob and meet your new travel companion, Mr Oxygen Bottle."
That is the issue that always gets over looked. The neigh sayers always focus on the death rate. Covid has been killing older patients, but it's been turning those younger patients into cardiac and respiratory cripples.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:47 PM

Quote:
That is the issue that always gets over looked. The neigh sayers always focus on the death rate. Covid has been killing older patients, but it's been turning those younger patients into cardiac and respiratory cripples.

One of these high profile athletes, McDavid? gets a good dose of it and has to pack in his career and it'll wake a few ppl up.

I'd also like to hear s few of the anti-science, the planet is 6000 years old types tell us all how long flu outbreaks usually last in North America? As I recall they arent 6 months. We've hit that mark now and no real signs of it disappearing any time soon..

The herd immunity and death rate thing also gets mentioned lots. Guess what kids? Looks like theres no such thing as herd immunity. Its bunk. Maybe 2-3 generations your kids kids will be immune. This thing is different. As far as death rate goes? Isnt just deaths that matter. How about we look at how many that have had it will be "permanently" buggered with lung issues?

As for the ones that like to mention the average age, "they lived a long life thing?" Not much point in arguing with folks from the Pliocene Epoch.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
One of these high profile athletes, McDavid? gets a good dose of it and has to pack in his career and it'll wake a few ppl up.

I'd also like to hear s few of the anti-science, the planet is 6000 years old types tell us all how long flu outbreaks usually last in North America? As I recall they arent 6 months. We've hit that mark now and no real signs of it disappearing any time soon..

The herd immunity and death rate thing also gets mentioned lots. Guess what kids? Looks like theres no such thing as herd immunity. Its bunk. Maybe 2-3 generations your kids kids will be immune. This thing is different. As far as death rate goes? Isnt just deaths that matter. How about we look at how many that have had it will be "permanently" buggered with lung issues?

As for the ones that like to mention the average age, "they lived a long life thing?" Not much point in arguing with folks from the Pliocene Epoch.
As this thing isn't going to disappear no matter how many wear a mask, you should stay hidden in the basement? If it saves just one life....
Those essential service workers will keep the power and heat on for you down there
Old 06-29-2020, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
As this thing isn't going to disappear no matter how many wear a mask, you should stay hidden in the basement? If it saves just one life....
Those essential service workers will keep the power and heat on for you down there
Nobodys saying hide in your basement. Just be smart and take some precautions. Like the doctors are saying msybe?

I'm essential services. How about you big boy?
Old 06-29-2020, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Nobodys saying hide in your basement. Just be smart and take some precautions. Like the doctors are saying msybe?

Oil and gas is about as essential as you can get...same as many other services. One doesn't work without the other.
So yep, guess I have always been, same as a good many others
Old 06-29-2020, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Deena Hinshaw has repeatedly said most people will endure mild symptoms.

CDC says 4.9% death rate? Let’s forget about cdc for a minute and just look at Alberta. Why?

1. Everyone on this forum is familiar with how things have gone in this province.
2. We’ve had more testing than anywhere in Canada, and perhaps North America since day 1.

So far, 8067 confirmed cases in Alberta with 154 deaths. That’s a 1.9% mortality rate. However, there are currently 559 active cases with 41 in ICU. Not everyone in ICU will make it. Suppose 20 don’t... that bumps the mortality rate in Alberta to 2.2%.

A big thing to consider however, is that 8067 confirmed cases does not mean 8067 total cases. We don’t know what the total case numbers are, but it is certainly much higher than 8067.

Not trying to poo-poo the virus, but the facts, at least here in Alberta where our health care has done a tremendous job, don’t jive with some of the scarier numbers and headlines that are floating around out there.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:14 AM

Quote:

What makes someone non essential?

-Billy Molls
Old 06-30-2020, 04:41 AM

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...to-all-causes/

Here you go.

Osky
Old 06-30-2020, 06:37 AM

Quote:
What makes someone non essential?

Context please. Some jobs, not people Chuck, but since you put it that way, based on some of your comments it would seem you consider those 75+, in care facilities to be fairly non-essential.

Last edited by sns2; 06-30-2020 at 09:13 AM.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherdan View Post
Deena Hinshaw has repeatedly said most people will endure mild symptoms.

CDC says 4.9% death rate? Let’s forget about cdc for a minute and just look at Alberta. Why?

1. Everyone on this forum is familiar with how things have gone in this province.
2. We’ve had more testing than anywhere in Canada, and perhaps North America since day 1.

So far, 8067 confirmed cases in Alberta with 154 deaths. That’s a 1.9% mortality rate. However, there are currently 559 active cases with 41 in ICU. Not everyone in ICU will make it. Suppose 20 don’t... that bumps the mortality rate in Alberta to 2.2%.

A big thing to consider however, is that 8067 confirmed cases does not mean 8067 total cases. We don’t know what the total case numbers are, but it is certainly much higher than 8067.

Not trying to poo-poo the virus, but the facts, at least here in Alberta where our health care has done a tremendous job, don’t jive with some of the scarier numbers and headlines that are floating around out there.
So what you are effectively saying is to treat the virus seriously, keep infections down so hospitals are not flooded and in turn that keeps the death rate far lower like in Canada when compared that doing nothing or minimal efforts like in the US currently?

Yes...some people can’t get it through there heads that the reason why it’s not horrible in Canada is because of effort made.

It is not occurring less deadly on its own but rather due to substantial efforts to contain.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-30-2020, 08:40 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

Crazy.

but still some don't get it

3 states governors are now back tracking and closing things up.....didn't take proper precautions.....didn't close down...waited too long...opened up too early and bam....flooded hospitals....infected numbers up and yup the death rate too....go figure eh!

we gotta look past our noses periodically to see just how things can turn around in a heartbeat....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Closed Thread