Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2020, 08:31 PM

Default If a guy was in Canmore and it was 8:30 PM, where would he go for a walk/hike?

What the title says

Thanks, fellas.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:36 PM

Up around quarry lake is nice.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Up around quarry lake is nice.
Or up to Grassi Lakes.

Grizz
Old 07-13-2020, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
What the title says

Thanks, fellas.
Cougar Creek is a really nice stroll/walk-You can gawk at the $8.9 million dollar home at the top before the flood safety fence and theres the Iron Goat pub close by for when your done.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 07-13-2020, 08:59 PM

What are you doing in Canmore, the beach is at Sylvan
Old 07-13-2020, 09:05 PM

^ Ha!

Thanks for the tips. Took the first one for today since I didn’t want to loose time. Will gladly hear more tips for the next few evenings.

A little “bold” around here.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:53 PM

Looks awesome! Figured with the time you couldn’t do much of a hike prior to the sun going behind the mountains. The grassi lake one is a nice one if you have more time.
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/cana...kes-trail-loop
Old 07-13-2020, 09:56 PM

If you brought a rod quarry lake has arctic grayling in it. No idea how hard to catch but would be cool to get one.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:04 PM

Quote:
What the title says

Thanks, fellas.
Chester Lake is awesome. Good fishing too. 1hr drive from town, 1hr hike up but it’s pretty nice.

Closer to town like others said, Grassi Lakes is easy. Want something a bit bigger Ha Ling is a good half day adventure.

Lots of good hiking and beauty up Quaite Valley and Jewel Pass.

But like you said it’s 8:30pm the Quarry, Highline or Grassi is best.

Enjoy
Old 07-14-2020, 12:01 AM

Mount Lady MacDonald is a good scramble right from town. Fun ridge just before the summit. 8:30 p.m. is a little late to start, but if you're fit you can be up and down in 3 hours.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:11 AM

At Grotto Canyon is a short hike that has some petroglyphs that are determined to be 500 to 1000 years old. The trail starts at Grotto pond along hwy. 1A just east of Canmore. Grotto pond is stocked and Gap lake is on the way too. The Alberta record rocky mountain whitefish was caught by a young lad in Gap. Some good sized browns in the lake too.

https://trailpeak.com/trails/Grotto-...anmore-AB-5288
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 07-14-2020 at 12:27 AM.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeky View Post
Cougar Creek is a really nice stroll/walk-You can gawk at the $8.9 million dollar home at the top before the flood safety fence and theres the Iron Goat pub close by for when your done.
I actually posted this thread and drove to Cougar Creek thinking there is gotta be a trail there heading somewhere up. I don’t find one, lol. Checked this thread and saw the first reply and took on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Or up to Grassi Lakes.

Grizz
Will try that tomorrow probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
If you brought a rod quarry lake has arctic grayling in it. No idea how hard to catch but would be cool to get one.
Interesting. Good to know for the future. I didn’t bring a rod this time. We are actually on a family vacation. We had a reservation for a week in Banff, but that was cancelled almost last minute due to COVID. So instead, we spent a couple of nights at a lodge in Jasper and found a place to rent in Canmore for four more nights, heading out on daily trips wherever it isn’t too busy in Banff and whatnot. We did a couple of good hikes in Jasper and our 2-year old (almost 3, actually) said she wants to go back to Peace River after the second one, lol. That’s considering she was on my back for a half of it, lol. Hope she isn’t going to hate mountains, lol. The 6-year old is a worrier though. I have no idea where she gets this much energy. Sometimes whines a little when it gets extreme for her size, but always makes it and ready to go again next time.

I always bring my fly rod when we had this way, but I never get to use it because everyone else wants to do something else I have to be a part of. This time I decided to leave it instead of bringing it and getting disappointed again. Looks like I am disappointed now, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post
Chester Lake is awesome. Good fishing too. 1hr drive from town, 1hr hike up but it’s pretty nice.

Closer to town like others said, Grassi Lakes is easy. Want something a bit bigger Ha Ling is a good half day adventure.

Enjoy
Thanks for the info. I will look into these. Like I mentioned above, I only get so much time to myself on the family vacation to make a run somewhere and it ain’t much, lol. Looks like I will be heading to Grassi tomorrow when I get a minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
Mount Lady MacDonald is a good scramble right from town. Fun ridge just before the summit. 8:30 p.m. is a little late to start, but if you're fit you can be up and down in 3 hours.
Thanks for tip. I will look into it if I get enough time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
At Grotto Canyon is a short hike that has some petroglyphs that are determined to be 500 to 1000 years old. The trail starts at Grotto pond along hwy. 1A just east of Canmore. Grotto pond is stocked and Gap lake is on the way too. The Alberta record rocky mountain whitefish was caught by a young lad in Gap. Some good sized browns in the lake too.

https://trailpeak.com/trails/Grotto-...anmore-AB-5288
That sounds pretty awesome. Sounds like something kids would be interested in as well. I will look into it. It appears, the lesson is bring the rod and don’t use instead of leaving it at home, lol. Or never leave your rod at home.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

On the way back from Quarry, I ran into some elk. We have tons in Peace River, but never this close to home. Also, our elk usually make a run for it when (rather if) you get this close in a vehicle. These are the Jasper/Banff types, lol.

Nice little town, Canmore. I have heard more than plenty of good things about it, but I always drove past, dozens of times, never making a stop.

What’s with the suicidal bunnies feeding by the roads all over the place? And there are so many of them and they come in just as many colours.

Old 07-14-2020, 01:09 AM

Nice to see elk.

The rabbits are a peace offering to the grizzlies that come to town. The rabbits are decoys to save the dogs and cats.

Actually, in the 1980's someone released 12 domestic rabbits and the rabbits became so prolific they became a problem. Instead of removing all the rabbits some of the folks decided saving the rabbits was more trendy. I think the town might still live trap some to control numbers a bit. In 2018 there were about 2000 bunnies around town.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 07-14-2020 at 01:17 AM.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:46 PM

Nice pics OP glad you're getting some mountain views. The broadside on that spike bull makes a guy envision bullet placement, same deal for the bunny broadside, just a different gun. Thanks for posting the pics!!!
Old 07-15-2020, 06:05 AM

Did you know Rabbits are very good eating ?

Set snares at dusk & check / remove at dawn !

Get in touch with Thumper - he lives there.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/member.php?u=208
Old 07-15-2020, 07:56 AM

I'd walk to the beer store.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:10 PM

Good Post. We are heading on a Family trip to Canmore beginning of August. Good idea's i'll bring forth to the wife.
Old 07-15-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
I actually posted this thread and drove to Cougar Creek thinking there is gotta be a trail there heading somewhere up. I don’t find one, lol. Checked this thread and saw the first reply and took on it.
Quote:

Will try that tomorrow probably.

Interesting. Good to know for the future. I didn’t bring a rod this time. We are actually on a family vacation. We had a reservation for a week in Banff, but that was cancelled almost last minute due to COVID. So instead, we spent a couple of nights at a lodge in Jasper and found a place to rent in Canmore for four more nights, heading out on daily trips wherever it isn’t too busy in Banff and whatnot. We did a couple of good hikes in Jasper and our 2-year old (almost 3, actually) said she wants to go back to Peace River after the second one, lol. That’s considering she was on my back for a half of it, lol. Hope she isn’t going to hate mountains, lol. The 6-year old is a worrier though. I have no idea where she gets this much energy. Sometimes whines a little when it gets extreme for her size, but always makes it and ready to go again next time.

I always bring my fly rod when we had this way, but I never get to use it because everyone else wants to do something else I have to be a part of. This time I decided to leave it instead of bringing it and getting disappointed again. Looks like I am disappointed now, lol.

Thanks for the info. I will look into these. Like I mentioned above, I only get so much time to myself on the family vacation to make a run somewhere and it ain’t much, lol. Looks like I will be heading to Grassi tomorrow when I get a minute.

Thanks for tip. I will look into it if I get enough time.

That sounds pretty awesome. Sounds like something kids would be interested in as well. I will look into it. It appears, the lesson is bring the rod and don’t use instead of leaving it at home, lol. Or never leave your rod at home.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

On the way back from Quarry, I ran into some elk. We have tons in Peace River, but never this close to home. Also, our elk usually make a run for it when (rather if) you get this close in a vehicle. These are the Jasper/Banff types, lol.

Nice little town, Canmore. I have heard more than plenty of good things about it, but I always drove past, dozens of times, never making a stop.

What’s with the suicidal bunnies feeding by the roads all over the place? And there are so many of them and they come in just as many colours.

It's one of the most popular hikes, I've attached screens from the Gemtrek "Best of Canmore". You can go for hours up that easy trail, be a shame if your still there and missed it. Really nice views south across the bow valley.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MPP (1 of 1).jpg (48.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg MPP (2 of 1).JPG (191.2 KB, 11 views)

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 07-15-2020, 05:14 PM

Default Chester Lake is currently closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post

Enjoy
Chester Lake is currrently (July 15th) closed due to bear activity.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:44 AM

For Grassi lakes if you are reasonably good with heights & steep staircases make sure to do the loop, or up & back to 'hard way' as the views are way better and its more interesting.

At Quarry, I have had good luck on grayling with wet flies & spinners along the southeast and south shores. If you are wading be careful as the is an 80 foot underwater cliff/drop in the SE corner, there was a drowning there years back.

Cougar Creek is currently closed since they are beginning conztruction of the dry dam, which has been planned since the 2013 flood.

Larch island (by the river near the high school) is a flat walk and a great nature area to take the kids. Also the Policeman's creek boardwalk. And there is a small, very little known waterfall upstream from Prendergast Place. Nice short walk for kids, too (like 200 meters short) and I bet it's quiet. There are a few coal mining ruins there, too, and a gated off mine entrance on the upper slope accross the creek.

Lastly, along the creek behind Birchwood Place / Pinewood crescent you will find several good wading areas in the shade - a good way to beat the heat with little ones without going to the river.

Enjoy the area and the good weather!

Last edited by bergman; 07-16-2020 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-19-2020, 04:31 AM

Looks like some great recommendations in this post. I am heading down to Banff in Mid August, I will check some of these out while I'm down there.