Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-08-2022, 08:19 PM

Default Anyone have experience with sorel pac boots

As the title says, anyone have experience with them for hunting?

Looking at the sorel caribou, tried them on and they felt pretty good.

Type of hunting I do is still hunting, walk a bit and stop a bit. But dont mind to put on some km.
Old 11-08-2022, 08:45 PM

Great option if you're walking on and off.

I have the Sorel Glaciers from about year 2000. They have been updated a few times since by Sorel, each time dropping in quality.
I wear mine solely in November when sitting in a tree from dark to dark. Never had cold feet.
Old 11-08-2022, 09:31 PM

Default I have em

Don't plan to Wark far. Clunky and the felt packs down once it's wet. Good wool socks or even a set of bamas inside and they are great on cold days. Use em for ice fishing and stand/blind hunts.
Old 11-08-2022, 10:35 PM

I have these same made in china Sorel pac boots you are talking about and I love them for the kind of hunting you describe. As others mentioned they don't have much support for longer hikes or bearing a lot of weight, but they have great warmth, comfort, and durability for their price. I was suspicious of a formerly Canadian brand that brags "designed in Oregon, made in China" but my pair is going strong at five years old and well worth the sale price I paid.
Old 11-09-2022, 12:24 AM

Reading online I see a lot of complaints with the sorels quality, also too you'll hear more bad bad reviews than good. I know I don't really bother leaving reviews if the product is good.
Has anyone experienced rapid wear and cracks with the new sorels?
Also I see Baffin had a similar boot called CANADA, they are cheaper by a bit, wonder if it's any better?
Old 11-09-2022, 01:07 AM

This may sound weird, but…

I have had these exact boots for about a decade. Last time I wore them was… Today, lol. I then remembered why I never wear them. My feet (toes) get more cold wearing these than my not insulated Zamberlan. Today in the evening, I went to help a buddy to get an elk he shot out of the field. My toes were freezing by the time we were done with it. I don’t know what it is about these shoes or if it is just my pair, but I remember my feet going cold still hunting with them and even actively hiking in the cold. In the morning, I was out for over three hours with the other shoes, same temperature, +/- a couple degrees, and my feet were completely fine. With these, my toes can feel it fairly quickly.

I should also mention, if you are hunting hilly areas with a bit of climbing up or down, good luck. These have zero grip and you will have very difficult times climbing any steep hill and you will need to hold on to something going down.

Personally, I wouldn’t buy these. Like I said, I had these for about a decade and I wore them a dozen, maybe two dozens of times. It’s funny I decided to put them on today. And yep, cold toes.

Edit: Just to make sure, it is these you are talking about, right?

Last edited by fishnguy; 11-09-2022 at 01:22 AM.
Old 11-09-2022, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendyRendy View Post
As the title says, anyone have experience with them for hunting?

Looking at the Sorel Caribou, tried them on and they felt pretty good.

Type of hunting I do is still hunting, walk a bit and stop a bit. But I don't mind to put on some km.
That is pretty much the way I hunt. I have room for a heavy wool sock, the boot provides decent support and the sole has good traction. I have been using this boot for years.

Don't forget to pull the liners at night to dry out. Or even carry an extra set to switch out during the day.

Good luck,

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 11-09-2022, 03:09 PM

^ Interesting that your experience is pretty much the opposite of mine, lol. One thing is they never got wet inside when I was out wearing them, lol. Like I said, opposite from mine. And I usually wear two pairs of wool socks and yes, it isn’t too tight. I do the same in my other shoes that aren’t insulated and my toes are fine, while in these Sorrel they get quite cold. I hunt a lot of valleys, so traction is crucial. These shoes are lacking significantly in that environment.

Milage may vary, as they say, haha. How old are yours, graybeard? Mine are about 10 years old.
Old 11-09-2022, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
^ Interesting that your experience is pretty much the opposite of mine, lol. One thing is they never got wet inside when I was out wearing them, lol. Like I said, opposite from mine. And I usually wear two pairs of wool socks and yes, it isn’t too tight. I do the same in my other shoes that aren’t insulated and my toes are fine, while in these Sorrel they get quite cold. I hunt a lot of valleys, so traction is crucial. These shoes are lacking significantly in that environment.

Milage may vary, as they say, haha. How old are yours, graybeard? Mine are about 10 years old.
I actually have two pairs.
One pair, my oldest, has a vibram sole. Leather uppers and are all of ten plus years old.
https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1253...d%3A1253667070

My second pair have a SOREL aero-trac non-loading out-sole, leather uppers. They are about 5 years old.
https://www.amazon.ca/Sorel-Caribou-...61158666&psc=1

My feet sweat so I have to be mindful of that short coming in cold weather when hiking around or any other outdoor activity.

I only wear these boots in the snow. I do not use them when I am hiking in early season on rocks or other sharp edged surfaces.

The soles look great and no rips or tears on the soles.
The only thing that ever tore off was one of the shoelace eye rings. I had it re attached at my local shoe repair shop.

They have served me well hiking in and out of the winter Drumheller coulees.

I hope this helps...

GB

Last edited by graybeard; 11-09-2022 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-09-2022, 11:30 PM

Well… I would suggest the OP disregards my post with my apologies then. Mine look, I would say, completely different and definitely have different soles.

Glad I asked and thanks for the clarification, graybeard.
Old 11-09-2022, 11:37 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Well… I would suggest the OP disregards my post with my apologies then. Mine look, I would say, completely different and definitely have different soles.

Glad I asked and thanks for the clarification, graybeard.
Anytime...