Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-13-2022, 12:28 PM

Default How smart are coyotes... really?

I've tasked with clearing out a pack of yotes on a farm outside of town. I got one dog the very first evening out and thought, well, this should be easy. that was 2 moths ago. I usually go out 2 evenings a week, but now with the time change I can only get out on weekends, and when I do it's at sunrise.

I have seen multiple tracks of coyotes and mule deer all over the property but can never get eye on the dogs. They don't ever respond to a call, have been using a howl and a jack or cottontail in distress. The land owner says they hear them every night so I know there are still around.

Went out this morning to my set. Got there early and was ready to hunt by sunrise. I managed to spot a decent size mule buck bedded down roughly 150 yards out. He didn't spook and run. He sat there for a hour before he took up and walked away. That leads me to believe that we entered the area as best we could.

What am I missing here? is it just bad timing or am I not doing something right that's pushing the dogs out before I even get to the set?

Thanks for taking the time to read this! Any and all help is appreciated.
Old 11-13-2022, 12:36 PM
Banned

They are educated
You will have to change up your tactics and calls
Can try decoys, baiting etc
Old 11-13-2022, 12:42 PM

Using the same calls in the same areas is a sure way to educate the local yotes. You might get some transients or the young of the year, but the full timers will be wise to your tactics.

I would either start sharing or use a bait pile that you can sneak up to and pick them off of.

I used to call a lot on the same properties. After a couple seasons my success went way down.

Then one year the farmer set out big piles of chicken/turkey crap from the local poultry barn. I shot many triples off of those that winter.

Another property that I had previously shot many coyotes off of had gone pretty much dry, so one winter I set out a bait station and set snares. I caught 10 that winter and there were several monsters in there, so I assume those were the locals that had wised up before getting blasted the winter before.

Just FYI though, Snares require a trapping license.

Hope that helps a bit.
Old 11-13-2022, 12:44 PM

My thoughts if you want coyotes thinned you hunt them but if you want them really gone trapping is the way to go
Old 11-13-2022, 12:48 PM

So I should probably go back and grab that roadkill deer at the end of the road...
Old 11-13-2022, 12:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpdodge84 View Post
So I should probably go back and grab that roadkill deer at the end of the road...
The coyotes will find it no matter where it is
Might as well be where you can blast them
Old 11-13-2022, 12:53 PM

I’ve bin seeing coyotes steady from my blind and Iam set up in a middle of a feild. There no set time that Iam seeing them sometimes first light then sometimes mid morning and sometimes evening. If your calling the same property every time your out that might be the problem. I’m no expert but you can educate them very quickly by over calling. Good luck!!
Old 11-13-2022, 01:28 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
They are educated
This.
They have patterned YOU, not the other way around.

Cheers
Old 11-13-2022, 01:37 PM

Coyote are like people. Some are smarter then others. You get the not so smart ones pretty quick. The smart ones, you have to be smarter then they are.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-13-2022, 01:57 PM

If you have been calling in one area that much I would quit calling all together. No matter how a guy tries coyotes will always pick up on calling one way or other and the only way to combat that is to stop calling or kill them the first time.
Your best bet now if shooting is to bait. Bear in mind if you hit the bait too hard or let dogs get away they will wise up and only show at night. Good luck.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 11-13-2022, 02:28 PM

How smart are they? - really really smart, and they learn quick too!
Old 11-13-2022, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
They are educated

Smarter than the average dog. The smarter ones survive.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 11-13-2022, 04:37 PM

Was chatting with the LO earlier. She says she sees them all the time just running around in the backyard at all times of day. So maybe my next plan is to just sit in the yard like I'm supposed to be there, not out in a treeline trying to get them out of their safe spot? Bring a chair and get comfortable?

Baiting is an option I will look into. They also have 2 dogs which may pose a problem if the bait can't be put in a good shooting spot and to keep the house dogs out of it.
Old 11-13-2022, 05:41 PM

How smart are coyotes? Well I would say the average hunter does not give them enough respect. Successful coyote hunters give them lots. Sneak in to the stand unseen, don't take stupid shots but have enough patience to come back another day, sneak back out without being seen. Constantly watching the wind, constantly watching for them coming around to get the wind etc. Anyone that calls and kills mature coyotes regularly has my respect.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-13-2022, 05:45 PM

You’ll never get rid of coyotes. They will always be around there no matter how many you kill. Others just take their place.
Snaring is the best way.
Old 11-13-2022, 05:47 PM

Smart enough to know to run when they see me with a rifle
Old 11-13-2022, 05:48 PM

They will be the last animal alive after the a major world catastrophe due to their overall smarts - a famous hunter said that. I cant recall who.

I cant say that i can argue with them. .
Old 11-13-2022, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
My thoughts if you want coyotes thinned you hunt them but if you want them really gone trapping is the way to go
And if you bait them save your bait until the snow is deep and it’s really cold. Then some will be at the bait and trap the area nearby.
Old 11-13-2022, 07:25 PM

I’ve always had way better luck calling them when it’s real cold out too.
Old 11-13-2022, 08:23 PM
Banned

How much land are you trying to hunt on?
Old 11-14-2022, 08:26 AM

Default Coyotes

When you are calling, the coyotes know where you are and where to stay
away from !!!
Old 11-14-2022, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
You’ll never get rid of coyotes. They will always be around there no matter how many you kill. Others just take their place.
Snaring is the best way.
I always say, you've just got to try harder when it comes to these things. Personally, I believe they have their place in the natural order of things, until they become a problem and too often we let them become that.

Grizz

Old 11-14-2022, 09:15 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham1 View Post
I’ve always had way better luck calling them when it’s real cold out too.

Right after a good storm too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-14-2022, 09:24 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I use to take care of yotes for a farmer in Saskatchewan, first month or so was calling but they get wise so reverted to a dead pile set up in low ground so I could approach from the high ground 100-200 yards and would pick off a few every other day or so.
Would replenish the pile when I went to pick up the yotes, give the area a few days then back I’d go until the sightings were a lot less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-14-2022, 09:42 AM

To me its directly how hungry they are. ..they are hungry all the time but mid DEc -Jan when its in the -20's -30's with lots of snow they are close to starving. Shot coyotes off a dead cow and another showed up and started chewing with a dead coyote lying close by. Generally from my observations they would sense something is not right and be real edgy. That changes when their starving.
Their like Hogs , that are fast and smart . Shot at them lots. If their is food available they will be back.
Usually get some good action around feedlot. Not un common to see 4-5 or more at a time.
Old 11-14-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
To me its directly how hungry they are. ..they are hungry all the time but mid DEc -Jan when its in the -20's -30's with lots of snow they are close to starving. Shot coyotes off a dead cow and another showed up and started chewing with a dead coyote lying close by. Generally from my observations they would sense something is not right and be real edgy. That changes when their starving.
Their like Hogs , that are fast and smart . Shot at them lots. If their is food available they will be back.
Usually get some good action around feedlot. Not un common to see 4-5 or more at a time.
Agree, always found a hungry coyote is likely to be careless, the colder the better.

Grizz

Old 11-14-2022, 10:41 AM

Now that it's colder, we've been saving buckets of butchering waste to make coyotesicles. Then off to the farm to feed the 'yotes.

Lead, that is.
Old 11-14-2022, 11:38 AM

Careful moving road kill, know the rules, you need a permit to do that.

I've proven to myself that coyotes that I have educated recognize the sight and sound of my truck.

You have to switch it all up, drive something else or walk farther, setup in a different spot, don't call or try something new like a kitten meow, etc.

Good luck those ones are tough.
Old 11-15-2022, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheep View Post
Careful moving road kill, know the rules, you need a permit to do that.

I've proven to myself that coyotes that I have educated recognize the sight and sound of my truck.

You have to switch it all up, drive something else or walk farther, setup in a different spot, don't call or try something new like a kitten meow, etc.

Good luck those ones are tough.

100%

Creeky....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 11-15-2022, 08:59 PM

I know that the other day I was deboning the few deer we got, and tossed the bones in a pile so I could shoot magpies out of the house. Haha. I was using an old Marlin goose gun with the 36” barrel for fun magpie shooting. Looked out at first light in the morning and there was a coyote standing there 10yds from the deck of the house. I had good practice sneaking the goose gun barrel out the door quietly and I dropped him just like I had dropped 10 magpies. He was not educated