Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-11-2010, 11:46 AM

Yeah the only Voere I handled had a bolt just like a weatherby. Original idea

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 05-11-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It's simple math.If you have three lugs on the bolt,and a matching three bearing surfaces in the action(or three rows of three of each),you have a total of six bearing surfaces ( isn't 3x3 =9).360 degrees divided by six equals 60 degrees.You need some clearance to let the bolt lugs pass through between the action lugs,so you end up sacrificing a tiny bit of bearing surface.In the case of the Weatherby Mark V,in order to have the 54 degree bolt throw,they sacrifice a little more bearing surface.So for that six degrees,you do give up some strength.It doesn't matter how many lugs you have in total,it only matters how many lugs are in one row.
EH11:
I know you dislike Weatherby's and that is kewl. I happen to like them but listening to you go on and on about bearing surfaces and 60 deg vs 54 deg is really beginning to bore me.
I looked at my weatherby's and I guess it must be luck (or maybe just good workmanship)but all 9 of my lugs are touching. That is with my 378 right out of the box. Also my 340 all the lugs are load bearing as well.
Anyway keep up the good work with your research and rederick and I'll keep hunting and killing with my inferior weatherby's.
I'm done with you again, lol. Getting to be a common occourance here.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 378 Wthrby View Post
Sounds gimmicky to me
Huh ????
Old 05-11-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Huh ????
From other comments on other threads. This Weatherby love/hate thing has gone on for a while and will continue forever. I think most people I disagree with would be fun to have a beer with in hunt camp.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 05-11-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaW View Post
From other comments on other threads. This Weatherby love/hate thing has gone on for a while and will continue forever. I think most people I disagree with would be fun to have a beer with in hunt camp.
Your right about the bickering. I myself don't own any weatherby's, but I have shot with one several times. I think they are a damn fine rifle. There are a lot of shooters with more experience than me that swear by them as well. And if we ever met at a huntin camp I'd be right proud to have a beer and BS with you.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The cooter View Post
Makes perfect sense to me! Thanks crawfy! So let me get it straight, ( 9 lugs smaller than the standard 2. more lugs less surface area = shorter rotation) Then only one question still remains about only 7-of-9 making contact?
Well I found this,

each of the nine lugs in this radial tri lug layout have an axial length of 0.150" so, in aggregate, each set of three lugs has an axial length of 0.450". Each lug on the Remington is a solid 0.450". Two sets of the Weatherby's lugs are 0.315" wide, however, on the row adjacent to the extractor, the lugs are 0.225". The Weatherby's total lug width is 0.855", the Remington's is 0.880".

So I guess 9 'small' lugs can have the same area as 2. And in case of a failure like shooting a 338win in a 300wby I say redundant safety is better. If one fails you have 2 more behind it.
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...43/m/120104938

If you don't want to read it, a 338 was shot out of a 300. A bit of pressure for sure.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 05-11-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Well I found this,

each of the nine lugs in this radial tri lug layout have an axial length of 0.150" so, in aggregate, each set of three lugs has an axial length of 0.450". Each lug on the Remington is a solid 0.450". Two sets of the Weatherby's lugs are 0.315" wide, however, on the row adjacent to the extractor, the lugs are 0.225". The Weatherby's total lug width is 0.855", the Remington's is 0.880".

So I guess 9 'small' lugs can have the same area as 2. And in case of a failure like shooting a 338win in a 300wby I say redundant safety is better. If one fails you have 2 more behind it.
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...43/m/120104938

If you don't want to read it, a 338 was shot out of a 300. A bit of pressure for sure.
This is good info thanks poppa w, I will be looking closer at the weatherby bolt in the coming weeks
Old 05-11-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
I know you dislike Weatherby's and that is kewl. I happen to like them but listening to you go on and on about bearing surfaces and 60 deg vs 54 deg is really beginning to bore me.
I am not the one that keeps posting about the huge advantage that a 54 degree bolt throw supposedly is.

Quote:
And in case of a failure like shooting a 338win in a 300wby I say redundant safety is better. If one fails you have 2 more behind it.
Would you rather attempt to pull out a stuck vehicle with three chains rated at 5000lbs each,or with one single chain rated at 15000 pounds.Personally,I would choose the single chain,because it isn't easy to hook up three chains to have equal loading on each chain,just like it's harder to have equal loading on more lugs.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 05-11-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I am not the one that keeps posting about the huge advantage that a 54 degree bolt throw supposedly is.

Would you rather attempt to pull out a stuck vehicle with three chains rated at 5000lbs each,or with one single chain rated at 15000 pounds.Personally,I would choose the single chain,because it isn't easy to hook up three chains to have equal loading on each chain,just like it's harder to have equal loading on more lugs.
EH11 never said it was a hugh advantage, that is what you and others read into it. I simply gave Cooter a posible reason for the 9 lugs being that it may reduce bolt throw thus the 54 degree on a Weatherby. You and others spun this and attacked Weatherbys. Simply stated Cooter asked for info I tried to provide maybe some reasoning for the 9 lugs. Personally I dont care what people shoot as I do not soley own Weatherbys, but I do happen to like the few that I have. Just to let you know its kind of a inside joke to me and Cooter about owning a Weatherby so this is why I tease him so much in his threads. As others have said would love to enjoy a drink with you one day as you seem to be a wealth of knowledge and would enjoy learning some of the things that you do know. cheers Greg
Old 05-11-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
They are fatter to be big enough to use the 378-460 size cases. The bolt is bigger and the lugs a bit shorter to give 54 degrees. As for strength I have posted all I can about that in other threads and still can't find the report I saw saying the weatherby was stronger than most. Ruger did just as good. I had a few others on a different site looking also and they remember the report and can't find it either. Until I see a bearing area on each lug from each maker and have an engineer tell me the forces involved and explain it, I won't be changing my mind or taking advise from EH11. If I am proven wrong from an independant source then I will come on here and say so.
Read a article similar to that I think it was posted by Chuck Hawks.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawfy View Post
EH11 never said it was a hugh advantage, that is what you and others read into it. I simply gave Cooter a posible reason for the 9 lugs being that it may reduce bolt throw thus the 54 degree on a Weatherby. You and others spun this and attacked Weatherbys. Simply stated Cooter asked for info I tried to provide maybe some reasoning for the 9 lugs. Personally I dont care what people shoot as I do not soley own Weatherbys, but I do happen to like the few that I have. Just to let you know its kind of a inside joke to me and Cooter about owning a Weatherby so this is why I tease him so much in his threads. As others have said would love to enjoy a drink with you one day as you seem to be a wealth of knowledge and would enjoy learning some of the things that you do know. cheers Greg
Yes, Crawfy and myself have a running joke it's no big deal, As for the info here I'd like to thank Crawfy,Poppa w,Elkhunter11,Leo,378 Weatherby,209x50 you have all given some real good info. If anyone has more to add or stuff one can read please add it as I would like to know. As for the opinions please keep it going as long as you can do it in FUN and not get worked up with one another, Having said that CRAWFY I think I owe you one my turn. Thanks again.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
So where's your camp and what kinda beer you got??
Old 05-12-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetailhntr View Post
So where's your camp and what kinda beer you got??
Well, my beer is secret so my FIL doesn't find it and right now my camp is my back yard pit. The kids like it. If its warm this weekend we might go to lesser slave for an overnight.

I found a guy who wrote a book about action strength. Can't remember his name but I can find it again. He says what I was thinking. All stresses on a lug are on the back of the lug where it meets the bolt body. So having a bigger lug can put more stress on that area. Also that Weatherby designed the MKV after experiencing lug set back on mauser actions. Which is what he was using before the MKV.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 05-12-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
It's simple math.If you have three lugs on the bolt,and a matching three bearing surfaces in the action(or three rows of three of each),you have a total of six bearing surfaces ( isn't 3x3 =9).
Yes 3x3 is nine,but each of the three bolt lugs rests on one matching action lug making it six load bearing surfaces in total.3+3=6.That is for a three lug action.For a nine lug action it would be 9+9=18 load bearing surfaces.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 05-12-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:38 AM

I like weatherby rifles, always went bang when i pulled the trigger. I like Sako Too, and remington, Beneli anything that shoots well. Never Heard of a weatherby blowing up in someone face,or of any bad malfunctions with there 9 lugs! Price of brass sucks! I think a 340 weatherby is next on my buy list, 300wby brass is fairly common just need to neck it up!
This **** show post is somthing else, After shooting Sako's, and weatherbys for the last couple of years it would be a coin toss on what I would buy next A Cooper, if they ever come out with a Mag!
Old 05-13-2010, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwhiskey View Post
I like weatherby rifles, always went bang when i pulled the trigger. I like Sako Too, and remington, Beneli anything that shoots well. Never Heard of a weatherby blowing up in someone face,or of any bad malfunctions with there 9 lugs! Price of brass sucks! I think a 340 weatherby is next on my buy list, 300wby brass is fairly common just need to neck it up!
This **** show post is somthing else, After shooting Sako's, and weatherbys for the last couple of years it would be a coin toss on what I would buy next A Cooper, if they ever come out with a Mag!
I agree with you Silkwhiskey, there are guys on here that just can't shut up. I own Weatherby's, Blaser's, Sako, Kimber, Merkel, Cooper and custom rifles and guys on here say that Savage rifles are just as good. This is the mentallity of our hunters these days---I think that they just want to be heard. I give my head a shake and roll my eyes of the pointless arguements.
GO HABS GO!!!!