what has been your experiance
Old 05-03-2010, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitecowboy1 View Post
Target loads and at what dram of powder
Price range of gun is $0 to $1500
New or used?
I have a friend who is shooting one of those new Maxus and loves it, he shoots anything in it.
The old 1100's were very good guns also, the magnums would handle the
2 3/4" as well as the 3"s.
I don't shoot them myself, I just own a few!
Cat
Old 05-03-2010, 07:28 AM

Benelli M2
Browning Silver
Winchester SX3
Browning Maxus
Like all semis run a box or two of the largest shells the gun will take through it to work in the action
Old 05-03-2010, 07:38 AM

My Xtrema 2 does; but is a little more then $1500.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:23 AM

1187 Remington works just fine with 3" or 2-3/4
Old 05-03-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
My Xtrema 2 does; but is a little more then $1500.
I got lucky and got mine for $1350 at Bass Pro last fall.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:56 AM
Gone Hunting

Default shotgun

Look up the Benelli Vinci it is quite impressive
Old 05-03-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
New or used?
I have a friend who is shooting one of those new Maxus and loves it, he shoots anything in it.
The old 1100's were very good guns also, the magnums would handle the
2 3/4" as well as the 3"s.
I don't shoot them myself, I just own a few!
Cat
Cat I had a older model 1100 magnum and it would not cycle 2 3/4 thru well they had to be heavy loads or they would not cycle at all.

Benelli supersport,Benelli Black Eagle ll, Berretta, Most Brownings, the new Winchester sx3 and the 11-87, will do what you are looking for. The Benelli's however are a bit more money than you have listed that you would like to spend. My Supersport will shoot any light load 2 3/4 shells right up to heavy 3 inch shells, whereas the Super Black Eagle ll shoots 2 3/4 shells right up to the 3 1/2 inch shells.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawfy View Post
Cat I had a older model 1100 magnum and it would not cycle 2 3/4 thru well they had to be heavy loads or they would not cycle at all.

Some of the 1100's had a problkem with cycling the light loads, and there were some slight changes in the systems to counteract this, which evenually led to the 1187 IIRC.
I have sen a few 1187's at our club and from my observations i would not buy one, but then I would not buy a semi auto for myself anyway!
Of course, one can always chage one's mind!
Cat
Old 05-03-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Some of the 1100's had a problkem with cycling the light loads, and there were some slight changes in the systems to counteract this, which evenually led to the 1187 IIRC.
I have sen a few 1187's at our club and from my observations i would not buy one, but then I would not buy a semi auto for myself anyway!
Of course, one can always chage one's mind!
Cat
Yes still fond of the doubles myself, however had to buy another semi as I headed down to South Dakota last year where you do not require a plug(remember your SD pheasent you tube thread I thought they were ducks) you would constanly be loading the old over and under. Plus I was looking at getting into some waterfowl hunting again and did not want to put steel down those barrels.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawfy View Post
Yes still fond of the doubles myself, however had to buy another semi as I headed down to South Dakota last year where you do not require a plug(remember your SD pheasent you tube thread I thought they were ducks) you would constanly be loading the old over and under. Plus I was looking at getting into some waterfowl hunting again and did not want to put steel down those barrels.
Well, with no plug and no limit , MAYBE,, but then I'd be broke!!
As far as ducks and geese go, handload Nice Shot for the vintage guns, that''s what I use!
Cat
Old 05-03-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Target loads and at what dram of powder
Price range of gun is $0 to $1500
Go to the shooting edge in calgary where they sell "Fabarm" semi auto shotguns.they are italian made shotguns and are the fastest cycleing semi autos on the market.Alot of law enforcment and milatary use tactical Fabarm shotguns for defence.They go for exactley $1500 and thats for a gun With a nice wooden stock and engraving,you can look at these shotguns on the fabarm website aswell if you desire!
Old 05-04-2010, 06:37 PM

Default I would like to get more people to tell me

NEED this info for me and a friend ?????????????????????
Old 05-04-2010, 08:15 PM

I have a Stoeger 2000, and although it is far from fancy it shoots any 12 ammo I plug into it.....

cheap Walmart, hi brass Imperial, etc etc .... it cycles them all.

I think it is about $600 for a brand new one. I bought mine here on AO for 5 hundred I think
Old 05-04-2010, 08:16 PM

I have an original Beretta Extreema that has no problem shooting anything from "Lite" target 2 3/4" all the way to 3 1/2"....

I bought my girlfriend a Browning Maxus.... It's awsome... I even preffer it over the Beretta... Alot lighter and shoulders nicer... It to has no problem with any ammo I've shot through it from lite target to the 3 1/2's... The lightest 3 1/2" semi out there, and just under the $1,500 limmit you set out.

I'd go with the Browning Maxus...
Old 05-06-2010, 01:43 PM

Default Everyone that owns a semi 12ga make comment

PLEASE I NEED MORE PEOPLES OPINION ???????????????
WHAT GUN CYCLES 2 3/4 TARGET LOADS WHAT DRAM OF POWDER AND SHOT WEIGHT THE LOWEST IT WILL CYCLE
THIS INFO IS FOR 3inch chambers
Old 05-06-2010, 03:09 PM

Cool

Quote:
WHAT GUN CYCLES 2 3/4 TARGET LOADS WHAT DRAM OF POWDER AND SHOT WEIGHT THE LOWEST IT WILL CYCLE
I already told ya damit! 1187 will do it all.

I have used all 1 oz #7.5 shot, claybuster wad, AA hulls, 209 primers with the following load.

Winchester supertarget loaded to 1300 down to 1000FPS will cycle. anything below that will fail to feed the next round. But in single trap i just load one shell all the time anyhow.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:34 PM

My Browning A5 will.......... anything I shove in it it fires.............

Last edited by Dakota369; 05-06-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:56 PM

The Remington 11-87 3" will need for the most part, min of 31/4 dram and 1 1/8oz of shot to make it cycle. These specs are mentioned on their website. I know you can sometimes get away with lighter, but for consistency no. I own a few 11-87's and sometimes they will cycle the lighter loads, but it's hit and miss with a field gun shooting light loads.

Your original question was what 3" model shoots 2 3/4" loads, and I would say any modern gun such as the Win sx-3 or the Browning Gold. Beretta 390, these guns handle the same as the pre-mentioned aspects of the 11-87 and lighter, as they are more of a "newer and updated" version of a semi-auto than the Remington 1100 and 11-87. I know of several that shoot the Beretta, Browning Silvers and Golds, and have no issues cycling 2 3/4 shells as long as the gun is clean and hs a min powder charge of 3-31/4 drams of powder and 1 1/8 oz of shot.

Hope this helps
Old 05-07-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
I have a Berretta 391 Urika Sporting. It shoots 2 3/4 " and 3". I've never even bothered looking at the drams of my lightest loads. It shoots EVERYTHING smoothly and flawlessly at the trap range (whatever target loads they are selling there, usual 7 1/2 shot), in the field, and the duckblind (3" magnums, whatever).
Old 05-07-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullijr View Post
Look up the Benelli Vinci it is quite impressive
I just looked at the Vinci and noticed several things that I absolutely did not like about it. 1. The only place the barrel and action is connected to the stock is at the rear of the action. There is no support underneath on the forgrip. The barrel and action is attached to the buttstock by "screwing" the barrel into the stock. It however only turns once. 2. The gun is light but that is due to the fact it is mostly made of plastic. 3. In order to take the bolt out of the shotgun you have to buy a special tool for approx 100-200$.

The only thing I saw that I liked on this shotgun was that when it breaks down you are left with 3 pieces. The barrel/action with the bolt still in it and the tube for extra shells, the forgrip, and the butt stock.

I would suggest looking at the Super Black Eagle II. It is pretty much the same only you are able to take the bolt out of the action without any tools. There is alot more machining in it as fewer pieces are made of plastic. Metal pieces extend from the stock under the foregrip providing extra support. It is also able to shoot 3.5" where as the Vinci is limited to 3".

If you go to Benelli's website and look at the pictures they have you will see what I am talking about. As far as prices the Super Black Eagle II is only about $100 more.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:00 PM

FYI, I bought a Franchi I-12. The gun points and handles well , but won't cycle target loads worth a sh#t.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:39 PM

I have the sbe11 and it cycles everything well. Used it for trap last year and
did not have one problem. 3 1/2's work very well too. Not the best choice for trap for sure. Hard to beat for migrarory. Currently looking for a trap gun for this season. the sbe11 is over the 1500 mark.... just noticed that.

Last edited by lannie; 05-07-2010 at 05:43 PM. Reason: missed OP price point
Old 05-08-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Juice? View Post
I already told ya damit! 1187 will do it all.

I have used all 1 oz #7.5 shot, claybuster wad, AA hulls, 209 primers with the following load.

Winchester supertarget loaded to 1300 down to 1000FPS will cycle. anything below that will fail to feed the next round. But in single trap i just load one shell all the time anyhow.
Got Juice, is there anything you have done do get your 1187 to cycle such a wide range of loads. My 1187 works great with heavier field loads, but needs to be hand cycled with light trap loads. This is explained in the manual, so I don't think this is a malfunction, but if I could get my gun cycling everything, I'd be happier.

Thanks
Old 05-08-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghoover View Post
Got Juice, is there anything you have done do get your 1187 to cycle such a wide range of loads. My 1187 works great with heavier field loads, but needs to be hand cycled with light trap loads. This is explained in the manual, so I don't think this is a malfunction, but if I could get my gun cycling everything, I'd be happier.

Thanks
I put the recipie up. Honestly, I am only varying 300 fps in the loading of the 2-3/4 shells. When at the 27 line, I am loaded with 17.5 grains, and when just shooting for 'fun' I am sitting at 14.9 grains.

Out of 25 shots, I might get one fail to cycle on sporting clays, but I have found that gun cleanliness, and a good 'non sticky' lube is best for the gun.

If I use a normal light gun oil, everything works flawless. Anything gummed up or a heavier oil, and I will FTF with the light loading.

I have also taken the extractor apart and done a lot of polishing with the 'felt bullet' using a dremel on a few wear areas. I find that when the bolt cycles to the receiver, there are some areas that show uneven wear. So out came the dremel for some more polishing work.

IIRC I worked on the moving parts for about 7 hours, just some minor cleaning up and it runs smoother than new.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-321569.html

Last edited by Got Juice?; 05-08-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Vinci

If you go to Benelli's website and look at the pictures they have you will see what I am talking about. As far as prices the Super Black Eagle II is only about $100 more."QUOTE"
Fordtruckin I have a SBE and if I had it to do over I would buy the Vinci as a first choice.There is a video about the Vinci on the Benelli web site.They took Vinci's to Argentina for a dove shoot with 16 shooters and went through 50+ thousand rounds of ammo without cleaning the only maint is 3 drops of oil on the bolt every 50 boxes of shells.Tom Knapp took one to Argentina and shot with the world champion live pigeon shooter and he didn't want to give it back.I haven't shot one yet but I have drooled on one at Battle River in Stettler and in my 50+ years of shotgunning it is the most innovative and modern since the first autoloader was invented.The SBE is about 2100 and the Vinci sells for $1595
Old 05-08-2010, 06:32 PM
barry01

From my experience all semi-automatic shotguns that are chambered for 2 3/4" and 3" shells will cycle 2 3/4" 1 ounce loads. If you buy a shotgun that is chambered for 3 1/2" shells then that is when you will run into problems. Many have problems cycling even 1 1/8 ounce loads. To clarify, cheap 1 1/8 ounce loads. The Winchester AA target loads seem to be more consistent and I haven't had any problems with them.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:55 PM

Default Come on guys more info

Tell me more???????????????????????/
Old 05-10-2010, 09:04 PM

i bought a mossberg 930 and i love it. took it out skeet shooting with target loads (from walmart $25/100 shells, 7-1/2 shot i think) then out duck hunting with some 3" duck shot (#4 1550 fps steel shot)... did great on both and havnt had a cycle issue yet. and it comes in purdy camo
Old 05-11-2010, 09:40 PM

I also have Mossberg 930,havn't had any problems with it. wouldn't trade it for another gun..Shoots well for me no matter what I put through it,