Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-11-2010, 12:13 PM

Default used brass

I have a newbie question here. I have just bought my first rifle, a Savage 111 in .270 Win and now am finding that I have lots of used brass as I try to learn how to shoot. Can reloaders used once-fired factory brass or is it garbage?
Old 05-11-2010, 12:21 PM

Nothing wrong with once fired brass. keep it , someone will take it off your hands if you don't reload.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
I have a newbie question here. I have just bought my first rifle, a Savage 111 in .270 Win and now am finding that I have lots of used brass as I try to learn how to shoot. Can reloaders used once-fired factory brass or is it garbage?
Yup save it. One day you may decide to reload. If not you could sell it.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 05-12-2010, 06:13 AM
Banned

I often go to the range and pick up all the once fired brass that the tactical teams leave behind. all that once fired federal brass is great for reloading.
I recommend that you start reloading. You'll save big $$$ by making your own ammo! Lots of fellas can show you how and get you started.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:04 AM

I save every round, I can get my hands on, for times like right now, when there seems to be a shortage of new empty cases. Finally scored some .243 Win.cases at Red Deer.

Grizz
Old 05-12-2010, 10:11 AM

I just ran into an issue with once fired brass. I picked up a bunch of unfired and once fired brass from a fellow member. The brass that he had fired in his rifle would not chamber in my rifle after full length resizing them. I contacted Redding and they said that the chamber in my rifle must have much tighter tolerances than the chamber the brass was originally fired in. Therefore the brass had been expanded beyond the point it could be resized to fit my chamber. We have ran into this issue with 2 different rifles; this case was my .300WSM X-Bolt, and the previous case was in a .300 WM A-Bolt. We can only use new brass, or brass fired in our own rifles in these 2 chambers.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papershredder View Post
I just ran into an issue with once fired brass. I picked up a bunch of unfired and once fired brass from a fellow member. The brass that he had fired in his rifle would not chamber in my rifle after full length resizing them. I contacted Redding and they said that the chamber in my rifle must have much tighter tolerances than the chamber the brass was originally fired in. Therefore the brass had been expanded beyond the point it could be resized to fit my chamber. We have ran into this issue with 2 different rifles; this case was my .300WSM X-Bolt, and the previous case was in a .300 WM A-Bolt. We can only use new brass, or brass fired in our own rifles in these 2 chambers.
i have a gun like that as well. the die sizes the full length of the case except for about the last 1/8 of an inch where the shell holder grabs on. that last bit has a swell that you can actually feel. the gun with the sloppy chamber has been identified and my son's is the tighter chamber. we are sure to keep them separate now.
that said, most guns will accept most once fired brass from most other guns, so yes hang onto it. someday you may want to reload, or at least hawk it for a couple bucks to the next guy.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:48 AM

Good point on the chamber tolerance, I had some range scrap brass that I found that was tight once. Also I have various brands I saved from factory stuff, and not all of it can be reloaded as many times as other brass. The federal brass was consistent for that, the head was over by .001 to .0015 after three firings for some reason.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:54 AM

there seems to be an abundance of once fired 270 brass about...check out ProLine Shooters in Calgary, I recall my last visit they had a lot at reasonable prices.