Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-14-2010, 07:11 AM

Default Weight vs Premium

I've got a 338 wm that shoots factory Remington 225 core lokts under 1" (if I do my part). I have tried various hand loads in this rifle but nothing equals the consistency of the rem. loads. Now I have never felt this load to be inadequate for any thing i am likely to tackle as I generally won't shoot past 400 yds, and that only under ideal conditions. Old school train of thought was to use a heavier bullet to compensate for lack of a "bonded or premium"type bullet. I am a believer of this practise as well , whats your thoughts?
Old 05-14-2010, 07:47 AM

I have never thought that was compensating for not using a premium bullet, ever.
Stuff dies very well with non- premiums, but I have always leaned towards the heavier side of the spectrum.
FWIW,solid lead bullets that I have used in my Sniders, Martinis, and 45/70 falling blocks have never been available in a "premium " style, but with a proper hardness they kill style dead REAL fast!
Cat
Old 05-14-2010, 07:52 AM
Gone Hunting

Rem Corelokt is very good bullet, 225 gr in 338 is my fav weight, but
I am using 225 Barnes TTSX due to
1 BC is .514and Corelokt .425
2 225 in premium bullet should perform like 300 gr cup and core.

I am dead on at 251 yards and muzzle velocity is 2860 ft/sec.

For practise I use 225 gr Hornady SST as Ballistically is almost identical to TTSX.
My gun is grouping 1" from hunting position.
Red tip for practise, blue tip for hunting.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Old school train of thought was to use a heavier bullet to compensate for lack of a "bonded or premium"type bullet. I am a believer of this practise as well , whats your thoughts?
I pretty much accept that theory,but I always go with a lighter premium bullet for hunting larger game.However,a 225gr corelokt out of a 338winmag at 2800fps or so would not concern me at all.I really don't see a need for a premium bullet unless there is the potential for impact velocities above 3000fps on elk,moose,or large bears.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I pretty much accept that theory,but I always go with a lighter premium bullet for hunting larger game.However,a 225gr corelokt out of a 338winmag at 2800fps or so would not concern me at all.I really don't see a need for a premium bullet unless there is the potential for impact velocities above 3000fps on elk,moose,or large bears.
Agree'd 100%, Accuracy is the most important to me followed by a large lethal projectile. Of course always keeping in mind the capabilities of the shooter, firearm and bullet are not exceeded. That is to be more or less determined by the shooter and the circumstances of the shot presentation. Appreciate your input fella's.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:27 AM

x2 if the corlock loads works best use them. The use of priemium bullets is half truth and half snake oil. That was the first load I used in my 338, I can atest to there killing power.