Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-19-2007, 11:21 PM
gonefishin

Default new bear hunter

I've never hunted bear before but would like to give it a try this year. I don't have any access to stuff for baiting so I will be doing the spot and stalk thing, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me of some places a guy can find bears within a couple hours of Edmonton?
Old 04-20-2007, 11:04 AM
jrs

Head west to Edson then north or south. I've seen a few bears south of there but have been told the odd one is shot further north. Don't know if that will help you but once it greens up, find some cutlines and monitor them. I just come accross a few bears in that area while working, fishing, seeing what the areas like etc. I'm sure someone else on here knows those regions much better than i do. That should be a start though. I got one up by Manning 2 years ago spot and stalk hunting, 6.5' 18'' skull. Saw lots of bears on my short journeys up there if you have enough time to head further north. I know very little about the bear populations directly east of Edmonton but i know they can be pretty thick out west.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:14 PM
gonefishin

thanks for the help jrs, I'll give it a try.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:27 PM
bearbait

try hiway 32 between whitecourt and swan hills id say go about 20 kms off hiway 43 then into oil roads...lots of bears