Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-19-2007, 09:46 AM
Simpatico Outdoors

Default Awesome Sheep Thread...has anyone heard about...

I have to say thanks alot for the 3 days worth of Alberta sheep hunting information. I am also a new comer to the "Chase for the elususe Bighorn Ram". Since this thread came up i have been driving my wife crazy (I can't get sheep off my mind). She is preparing for her first trip in with me this year & this will be my third.

Recently this issue has come up about a Y2Y group potentially having an effect on the area i have utilized for my Sheep & other big game hunting. My initial understanding has been that this group is on the path to achieving a no hunting, trapping & fishing type regulation for wilderness & wildland areas along the Eastern slope. However when i looked into the group agenda it does not seem to say anything about opposition to the above activies.

I spoke to a couple of Biologists and they have not heard anything either about the group trying to block our recreational hunting traditions. Can someone shed some light on this issue? I don't want to go to a fundraiser with prejudice against a group that wants to work with the hunting, fishing & outdoor community so the foothills & Easten Slopes regions can be conserved effectively.

What's the deal with Y2Y?!
Old 04-19-2007, 01:07 PM
340W

Simpatico,

You may want to contact the Willmore Wilderness Foundation
for information re this. They should be able to provide some
info or at least point you in the correct direction.

Would also like to add that I think these sheep threads
have been some of the best on this board!! Awsome

Old 04-19-2007, 01:12 PM
Simpatico Outdoors

Thanks 340W,

I will look into it.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:16 PM
340W

Speaking of crazy , I'm starting to train with my backpack
to go for Sheep and I'm sure the neighbors get quite a
chuckle out of that.

340W
Old 04-19-2007, 01:28 PM
sheep hunter

I don't think the Y2Y concept ever thought about excluding hunters....just protecting a corridor down the Rockies. Unfortunately, many of these protected areas have been designated provincial parks rather than wildland parks and hunters have been shut out. I lost my best sheep valley in 2000 and I'm sure you'll see more gone in the future.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:29 PM
Blakeinator2

340W....I thought i was crazy but your much crazier.:b

I've got the same stairmaster as in most gyms and really starting to hit it hard doing the speed interval settings. Did my first hour long stint last night. Feeling great too...been outta shape way too long. Been at it and jogging around my place to break it up for about a month now and just trying to extend durations and increase intensities as i go. Will be half ready to throw the pack on and start hiking and scouting this spring/summer...not going to do it at home like you...thats just crazy. And i thought i was taking it serious.:lol

Blake
Old 04-19-2007, 01:52 PM
340W

Yah my neighbors are forever hanging their heads over my
fence to see what equipment I'm trying out now. Just started with the pack a week or so ago. My body was not to happy with me the first couple of times, but by sheep season we should be whipped into shape. Looking forward to scouting in June or whenever the snowpack melts.

Love that sheep talk!!

340W
Old 04-19-2007, 03:30 PM
Simpatico Outdoors

The first time i tried my pack was during my Ft McMurray stint. Since the mosquitoes and horse flies were so bad we decided to walk (me with the pack & a 60lb bag of sand in it) down Franklin Avenue to avoid them. I bumped in to a few people and when of course asked where i was heading and responding sheep hunting the looks started. basically ever since then anytime someone asks about what is a favorite hobby of mine and i respond hiking around looking for sheep the "what kind of rubber boots do you like to use" comment comes out.

I am going to get out and do some running in the river valley as well as walk our new GSP pup through the trails & hils with the pack on. I find that if you don't simulate the conditions of the foothills and uneven ground you don't get the same strains, pinches and blisters as such from your boots when you are in the mountains. Playing soccer should also be a
bonus.

Lets talk sheep all spring & summer!
Old 04-19-2007, 03:32 PM
sheep hunter

The mountains are looking pretty white out there after last night.....it will be a while till a person gets back into summer range. Good thing there are loads of lower mountain trails to hike early and get in shape on.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:26 PM
340W

Yes nothing beats being out in the mountains , but for the flatlanders among us we need to train the best way we can.

I'm afraid Sheep Hunter is correct , It will be awhile before we
can get to the high places. In the meantime I'll watch
"The Phantom Ram" again for the 20th time. Last Sept.
I stopped by the Luscar mine and looked at about 15 rams some of them verrryyy Big all bedded down on a hillside.
hhhhmmm, seems like yesterday!!

BTW , if you want to get "looks" try flycasting in a school
yard.

340W
Old 04-19-2007, 07:48 PM
gunslinger

sympatico are you from fort mcmurray,if so gimma call at 780-974-7158
Old 04-19-2007, 10:35 PM
Canmoron

Regarding Y2Y...

I haven't seen an official anti-hunting stance from them, but the level of protection some of their supporters are looking for would prohibit ANY human use from the Yukon to Yellowstone wildlife corridor they propose.

I've met a number of Y2Y proponents,and even an employee (their office is in Canmore), and have yet to find a pro-hunting person in their membership.

We all like to see our wild areas protected from uncontrolled development - but be careful what you wish for. Support for the environmentalists has closed a lot of K-Country to our preferred recreation.

Andrew