Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-14-2007, 07:40 PM
bird bagger

Default have any of you used border collies

my mom baught a border collie pup last week and he seems realy interested in retreving the duck that i got for training my beagle, and i was wondering have any of you or anyone you know used border collies as bird dogs?
Old 04-14-2007, 11:19 PM
RyanGSP

There was some ladies down from Alaska at the Rinneck classic. One fo their dogs was a Border Collie. Beleive it or not they didnt get last and that dog did find birds. Borders are smart put the time in on it and you could make it a bird dog.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:12 PM
dogs

Default dogs

Wow I've had beagles that would hunt just about anything, but a duck???????:eek :eek

I have a border collie and besides being smarter than I am, he has the "Killer instinct" that makes borders so easily trained. they have the "pack" mentality, and the handler is the alpha dog. The border wants to bring the "prey" to you fo killing. They would certainly be easy to train for upland birds, quartering etc.
I might have to take mine out later in the year when the birds aren't pregnant.:rollin
Old 04-15-2007, 05:13 PM
Dark Wing 01

Default Dogs

I have a B.C. and a lab. They both love chasing grouse. I havent hunted with them , but walk them frequently well scouting. The B.C. works off sight and the lab scent. The two together are fun to watch as the lab picks up a scent and flushes and the collie will watch and see what tree it flys into. The B. colie is the smartest dog I've ever owned and with a "little work" should do the job.