Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-13-2007, 04:59 PM
nube

I took some more photos to help in my earlier description. If you look at the first photo you can clearly see the last years growth ring at the tip. Then there is about an inch and a half and the tip starts to come up there. Because of this rams tight curl it is border legal. Most rams if they have that 1.5-2 inches past that last growth ring they are borderling legal. The ram in this picture is only 29 inches in length and I think was only 4.5 years old. This is a rare case and don't see many legal ones until at least the 5.5 year mark.
In the next photoyou can also see that after that last growth ring when looking straight at him the horns start to flare out the sides. This is not always the case but is something to look at when they are looking at you. If you notice in the pictures of SWAROVSKIOPTIC the ram shows the horns flaring out the side like this. It alo shows about 2 inches of horn after that last growth ring which is usually where the horn starts to curl up. That is why I would have thought that it was a very good possibility it was legal.
In the last picture I have 2 rams that viewed in profile with different horn construction. There is my little 29 inch ram on the right which has a very tight curl and then on the other ram the horn grows up high first before starting to loop around. The horn also loops farther back which doesn't bring the tip foreward as much and this ram is also just past legal when the horn length is a lot longer. I think it is 33.5 inches in length or 34 inches (can't remember)
Hope this help some and you can't live by what I have said but it will give you a good idea if a ram is right there and close or not. The best is if you don't know for sure then don't shoot.
I'll add some more pics of my big ones.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:03 PM
getasheep

Default thanks

Thanks for the post Nube, those close up pics are awesome and helpful.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:06 PM
nube

Default Re: thanks

This is one of my rams that I love the mount on.

This is my big one that scores 181. It was a bad mount but at least the horns look good.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:18 PM
packhuntr

Default Re: just nutz

Listening to you west fellas is just plain crazy!!!! Ive hunted sheep and elk, and both just seem to be ghosts. I have heard guys over the yrs sayin, oh ya, when we wack our elk in here, bla bla bla. Then these guys go smash bulls. You guys all sound like ya mabey smoke-a too much hay. Im done now, thanks. But for sure, theres a ram out there with my name on him, we just havent met yet... Hats off to you boys.

keep a strain on er.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:49 AM
Swarovskioptik

nube - Thankyou very much for your follow up with photos and discussion!

When I look at your smaller ram (29incher) in the last picture with 2 rams and draw my imaginary 4/5 line he does't look legal on his left side? I may be wrong on that because in the last photo he is not perfectly profile. I agree he is about 1/2 inch past on the right side making him legal but just curious about his left side.

And congratulations on what I believe is the hardest Grand Slam going (4 Rocky Mountain Bighorns!). That is one hell of an accomplishment! Hats off to you!
Old 04-15-2007, 08:43 AM
nube

He is legal on both sides. It is just the angle of the camera. This is one of the problems in the field when judging the barely legal ones. Never can get them to hold still long enough when they are in profile.
I never though of haveing a Grand slam in Bighorns. The one smaller ram I had a picture of in some of my first photos is a friends that is getting stored at my place. I have another ram I got 2 years ago that is at the taxidermists. I am getting it half mounted as a burried dead ram on my lifesized Grizzly mount. It was a faily decent ram but nothing special in size. To me it doesn't matter on the size that much. They are all awesome.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:44 AM
Swarovskioptik

A life sized Grizzly standing over a half buried ram - I would love to see photos of that when completed!

Who is doing your taxidermy? My ram is with Jim Boland right now and from what I have seen he does very good work.

I completely agree they are all awesome!
Old 04-15-2007, 12:04 PM
gunslinger

wow what a thread, this pumps me up like you woudlnt believe boys, its only three months and i will be in the bonnet plume with my brother on a 2-1 guided dall sheep hunt, cant wait.if successful this will be his three quarter slam,exctiing.
congratulations to all of you and great story outdoor chet, nice rams nube cant wait to see your mount when it gets back.
i too am doing my polar bear eating my central barren ground caribou with my artic fox coming in to try to steal a bite.

one ram i guided two years ago in the yukon
and heres brians first bighorn