Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-31-2007, 07:19 PM
Duk Dog

Default Re: border crossing

It isn't all that tough to cross the border with your gun it just takes some planning in advance to get all your paperwork in order. Search on the ATF (alcohol, tobacco, & firearms) web site in the USA and you'll be able to find the forms you need to complete. If you were planning on say a September trip I would get your paperwork in by March or so and that would give you plenty of time. It even gives you some leeway in case you make a mistake on the form and need to resubmit.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:22 PM
BrownBear416

Default Score.

Gunslinger...me and my brother are hoping for BC bucks.82 inch is the Min for BC.Yes we have harvested Antelope in Alberta with both rifle and Archery with are best being a solid 80 incher.

I would say that PGS is killing 80% BC bucks with lots of those being in the 90 inch range(they killed 6 90 inchers in one day last fall) so we are talking about some real giants.

The silver hunts kill just as good of bucks as the gold but changes year to year depending on moisture.Last year was a bad year for Northern NM because of drought.This year however the moisture is 240% above normal so we think that there should be some real hogs running around.

For rifles we are taking 270 and 3006 and the permits are easy to do once you have done them once.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:14 AM
gunslinger

Default Re: Score.

oh man im pumped about this adventure now, im emailing tony today to set up our dates, i have decided that my 3006 is the choice of rifle for me too,,was trying to locate that website for the rifle permits but seem to be having trouble finding it,anyone have the website link.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Duk Dog

Default Re: ATF web site

www.atf.treas.gov/

Search around and you'll find the info on the forms. I have heard they are a bit out of date with the latest form revision online. The BEST thing you can do is print off the form and when you have questions pick up the phone and call ATF. It'll help to make sure you fill the forms out correct the first time. They are quite helpful.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:10 PM
gunslinger

thanks a million duk
Old 04-01-2007, 05:18 PM
Duk Dog

No problem. It is quite easy to do as long as you give yourself enough time. We've hunted in the US 3 or 4 times now and it has been pretty straight forward.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:03 PM
cmfic1

here MM & GS.....This might help a bit

www.deltana.com/odalli.htm
Old 04-01-2007, 08:50 PM
monstermuley

Hey CMFIC, them are some nice rams they get there but I am not to sure what it is gonna help us with. I never read all the post so I might be missing something. Are the forms on there somewhere?
Old 04-01-2007, 09:08 PM
Duk Dog

www.atf.treas.gov/firearm...q2.htm#r13

www.atf.gov/firearms/feib...330.3D.pdf

You should call ATF to confirm but I think the bottom is the link to the form. The top link is to their FAQ (frequently asked questions) section.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:42 PM
monstermuley

Awsome video CMFIC, now I am all pumped up again. Man how many more months...............
Old 04-01-2007, 10:16 PM
Hunt

Default Hunt

Quote:
Man how many more months...............
Man tell me about it i have to listen to you two brag about your up comeing hunt .:rolleyes Yahh good for you.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:35 PM
Davey Crocket

Default Re: Hunt

(This message was left blank)
Old 04-03-2007, 01:37 PM
BrownBear416

A picture of STICKS...21 + inch Goat.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:21 PM
packhuntr

Oh man. He looks like hes got some mass, even up high. Looks like theres abit of hook there also. Tough to tell, but on his left he appears to have descent cutter. I dont think i would be able to keep my cool on that dude. Boys, that goat is a smasher!!!! Just too bad the pic isnt abit closer, and clearer. If theres a known score on him, we could have some fun for abit trying to judge him. No doubt be some crazy numbers.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:23 PM
packhuntr

Oh ya, ya need anyone to fill a spot on this hunt Brownbear?!?!
Old 04-03-2007, 06:02 PM
BrownBear416

Default Goat

Sticks was harvested by a lucky hunter and i am pretty sure the video gives a gross score.I will have to check as i have not watched it for awile.Yes the pic is not very good.The video of it is excellent and crystal clear.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:29 PM
cmfic1

Default Re: Goat

Here is the Link for the 2 (tied) WR Antelope. You can see they were both shot in AZ, and If I am not mistaken, they were both Harvested by Hunters with PHGS.

www.boone-crockett.org/bg...NED%20GAME

Here is a direct quote from PHGS website regarding "Sticks"

Quote:
Score and Status: 94 1/8 SCI, Longest buck ever taken at 21 inches
Description: Corky Richardson rubbed the hide of a buck hanging in the local archery shop for good luck before heading back into the field for another crack at the awe inspiring "Sticks". His doubt wouldn't have been so great that he might need luck if it weren't for the fact that his only weapon was a sharp stick and an oversized slingshot! Later that day, September 9th, 1999 - exactly 100 years since the first buck over 20 inches had been taken - Corky's luck held true when his arrow zipped throuh the mythical buck's vitals and put "Sticks" into the record books.
Also is the Link for PHGS Web site.

www.pronghornguideservice.com/

I have been researching, and keeping up on Tony Grimmett and his operation for several years...knowing that when I end up doing an Antelope Hunt it would be with him & his crew. I read stories in The Huntin' fool, Eastman Outdoors, & Trophy Hunter magazine regarding most all of the big Bucks listed on his web site.

I too should get drawn for Antelope here in Alberta this year, and I have allready informed Tony Grimmett (about a month ago), as well as gunslinger, that if I end up not doing my Cape Buffalo hunt next year, then I would like to head down to N.Mex on this Hunt as well.

Will be nice to finally get down there, as I have been waiting a few years for someone to go with!
Old 04-03-2007, 08:23 PM
gunslinger

you bet rod i called and talked to tony yesterday and he wont give us a spot until nov, i am the firston his list for the next person in for his antelope hunts,
you can tell tony is a good honest man becasue he wouldnt sell me a hunt until his clients from this year eihter turn down the next years hunt and leave a spot open, or take them. that says alot about the repeat cliental tony must be getting.
anyway lets hope at least three or four guys decide not to go back next year.
one other thing i wasnt aware of is fellas these hunts are only two days long, thats 2500$ a day to hunt for a booone and crocket antelope,,,wooowwwzzzeeerrrsss, i hope it doenst pour rain.:eek
Old 04-03-2007, 08:31 PM
cmfic1

Quote:
one other thing i wasnt aware of is fellas these hunts are only two days long, thats 2500$ a day to hunt for a booone and crocket antelope,,,wooowwwzzzeeerrrsss, i hope it doenst pour rain.

blah, blah, blah..............The Government makes money every day.........and so do we!!!!!!!
Old 04-03-2007, 08:50 PM
gunslinger

i guess:rolleyes
still alot of money a day,
Old 04-03-2007, 10:44 PM
BrownBear416

Thanks Cmfic for getting the info on sticks for me.

The silver hunts are 3 days of hunting plus a day of scouting.

Cmfic..who are you booking your Cape Buff hunt with??

Good luck with your Goat hunt this year as that is an awesome tag to draw.Lots of zones down south have cut there Buck tags back 80% the last few years so there should be some giants running around.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:22 AM
cmfic1

Ya I sure hope to get the Antelope draw again. Had a blast last time, and saw a few gaggers. Where we were hunting was pretty desolate, not many Hunters at all, and the Animals were/are extremely wary.....Gonna have the STW all ready for the long shot if needed.

My Cape Buff hunt will be through a Booking agent (Same one I used for my Alaskan Brown bear this Fall). He books Hunts in Tanzania on the Selous region with Tristan Peacock. Its a 2X1 hunt, for some real big Bulls. Cost for 7 days hunting is $7500 each Hunter. I hope to be able to shoot 2 Bulls when there.....cant wait.
This same Booking Agent, is putting on a "Group" type hunt this year with a bunch of guys over on 24 hr. Camp Fire. He thinks he will do it again next year, and if I cant find another guy to go with on the above Hunt, then I will get my name in on the group Hunt.
Either way, it will be one of my Dream hunts, and I cant wait!
Old 04-04-2007, 11:24 AM
OutdoorChet

I talked to Tony a bit at the SCI show last year. The had a bunch of replicas for sale of some of the better antelope they've killed over the years. It's tough to compare those New Mexico and Arizona Antelope to ours but there's still some good animals killed up here.

A friend of mine does a lot of antelope hunting down there. He has taken several B&C bucks and one that net scored over 90" (even with a fair chunk broken off one tip). He hunted with Tony once. It sounds like Tony and his crew always have a few big bucks put to bed for their clients. I'm sure you'll do well.

Chet
Old 04-12-2007, 03:20 AM
and this guy

Default and this guy is an outfitter in alberta?

wow did this topic take off, boy this guy has some people duped.

i was gone for a couple weeks but i am back, an dthe good people here need to no the truth.
and to all those who think this guy is good just cause he posts a couple mediocker pictures...heres some info

packuntr wrote “Lets see if youve ever judged an antelope. What are the three things, in order, you need to look for when your lookin for a high scoring goat????”

i think I can judge Antelope. I have 3 on the wall, all done on self Guided Alberta hunts 79”, 84” and 86”…knowhere did I say anything about anybodies ability to judge them. I was only stating that this guy hasn’t hunted them a day in his life (go ahead ask him him, if he says he has, well then thats another lye). You see, the way he worded it “oh for sure brown and i dont know about you but i havnt hunted emough of them to be able to judge one that big anyway” makes one assume he has hunted them SOME, when he hasn’t hunted them at all. He could have easily wrote that instead of what he did

you see i know this guy personaly, i met him through a friend of a friend about a year ago, from the drayton valley/breton country. And quite frankly the guy is so full of himself, we think he even has himself fooled into believing the things he says.
I personally cant stand someone who bs’s there way through life and acouple of us around this part of the country happen to believe this fellow happens to be one. There are young hunters on this board who actually try and learn things, and if they were to read all the posts from this guy, then they could wrongly assume they could learn something from this self proclaimed “hunting legend”. i guess in a way they could, if all they wanted to know was how to book a guided hunt and follow a guide around. If they want to learn about the nature of hunting, then these young readers would be better off learning from the likes of sheephuntr cmfci1,Rackmaster nube and a few others.
all a guy has to do is be honest, and in know way is this guy doing that!

Heres some facts gunslinger. The “slam” you are talking about is called a feuw diffrent things. The super slam, North American 27 or 29 (or whatever the number happens to be, as species are added, or dropped from the list). It is a list of all the BIG GAME species that can be entered into the B+C record book…….and no where on it is a Lynx (do you think we are dumb enough to believe this is one of them?)! Choose any of the required number from the list (27, 29 or 30) that SCI or B+C has stated and start hunting.
Here is the list, taken directly from the SCI web page.

AK/YK B.G. Caribou*
Cent Barren Ground Caribou*
Cougar*
Grizzly Bear*
Polar Bear*
Rocky Mt. Elk*
Black Bear*
Rocky Mtn. Mule Deer*
Bison*
W. Canada Moose*
Mountain Goat*
Whitetailed Deer *

Atlantic Walrus
Stone Sheep
Bighorn Sheep
Arctic Islands Caribou
Brown Bear
Desert Bighorn Sheep
Mt. Caribou
Pronghorn
Quebec-Lab. Caribou
Woodland Caribou
Roosevelt Elk
Gray wolf
Tule Elk
Desert Mule Deer
AK/YK Moose
Columbia Blacktailed Deer
Muskox
Sitka Blacktailed Deer
E. Canada Moose
Dall Sheep
Shiras Moose
Coues Whitetailed Deer

and you have 12 of them!!!!!!!!!!!at the top i put a star beside all the animals you said to have shot. Looks to me like you need a fair bit more than the 7 you said you needed
Dont be upset that somebody takes you for what you are, and wants to let others know as well. I also know you didn’t shoot 11 animals in Africa, was more like 4, be honest with the people here. And that you would be lucky if your polar bear stretched to seven feet. And that you didn’t hunt in mexico, you went along with somebody who did. Just be honest.

one more question, how much would a person no about bear baiting when they only did it for 1 year? rember, try to be honest here. You got the slinger part of your name rite, you just need to change the first part "gun' to "BS'.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:40 PM
BrownBear416

Default Doubtful.

Quote...
I have 3 on the wall, all done on self Guided Alberta hunts 79”, 84” and 86”

Well lets see some pics then.....:rolleyes :rolleyes

You seem to do a lot of flapping of the gums without much proof to back it up.

Quote,
If they want to learn about the nature of hunting, then these young readers would be better off learning..

...You are worried about the young readers are you,from what i can see all you have contributed to this board is sweet FA.Gunslinger has backed up most of his stories with pics and that is more then i can say for you.

If Gunslinger has stretched the truth on a few of his story's so what as i dont think i have ever met a Angler or Hunter that didn't stretch the truth a bit.:lol :lol

I told everyone my buck this year netted 150....that was a stone cold lie....it was 149 1/4 :eek
Old 04-12-2007, 03:18 PM
gunslinger

Default Re: Doubtful.

Doubtful nice to have you back.
I have hunted antelope bud down in mgrath in zone 108 when my rig was drilling down there. so yea i have hunted antelope(never got one and no i wouldnt be able to judge one that is big)
You bet i see you got stars beside the ones i have shot and been guided too or tooken myself,
There is three cats in alberta that you can get to make your slam of cats, cougar,lynx,bobcat. i need the bobcat, it aint on your list but who cares its on mine.
I went to africa and shot 11 different animals there bud, only mounted 4 of them on my wall.
I also turned down the invitation to go on the desert sheep hunt i was invited on so your wrong there too bud, that isnt when i hunted in mexico, i tour pushed overseas on a rig and thats when we went hunting,for a couple days in a row.(huge pigs).
Not sure where your getting your one year of bear guiding from there either but since you know me so well i guess your right,,( guided for don ayers, chris mcinnon,bruce mckenzie,then bought our bear permits and have been doing it for two years, thats 5 years,,,oh yea and the 4 years of grizzly hunting and guideing.,with my bro jason, up in bc.
Also since you know me so well and know all what i have hunted why dont you stop by the taxidermy shop and measure my polar bear with me, it aint huge but its mine, oh yea and it is over 7 feet by the way.
In my own little hunting world i wasnt counting animals like the coues whitetail deer,shiras moose,sitka deer,tule elk,ak moose, ( i was grouping these kinda deer into whitetail and mule deer,,the elk breeds into elk,moose into moose.
But anyway to me if i am successful with my brother brian in getting our dall sheep and antelop and now mountain caribou this year i will only have 6 animals to harvest for MY grand slam as far as im considered. 4 sheep,brown bear,muskox,
You can have your walrus,and artic caribou, the one i shot in the artic on my polar bear hunt is good for me.
I am an outfitter yes and this year we had 45% repeat hunters, easy to get along with and jsut love to hunt bud, lots of kids including my own love to hunt with me or us.
Not sure what your up to here but i think my honesty is alot better than yours or you would register so i can pm you for a beer and maybe some photo album looking.
Sorry if the lynx aint on your slam, but to me a cat slam is fun to get and have, cougar hunt was probly one of my hardest hunts so far.
Yea i go on guided hunts becasue it takes me places and i get to experience different people in different places, all the hunts i go on are bought and paid for and the people guideing me are very good hunters and deserve all the credit towards me harvesting my animals.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Jamie Hunt

God.. When is this board going to be REGISTERED only..
Slinger, tell him where to go and how to get there.
I appreciate the storys and the adventures and the PICTURES.
Always someone around these parts looking to bring a guy down.

Jamie
Old 04-12-2007, 09:03 PM
cmfic1

Doubtful (troll), your an idiot!, and your not welcome here with these detrimental posts, so scram!!!!
I wonder if you used to go by the handle of warden too, the same guy (troll) who used to harp on nube and myself last year.

GROW UP!

I am pretty good buddies with gunslinger, and can vouch for his honesty, and his trophies he has taken. He is a good hunter, and hes certainly just as honest as any other outdoorsman I know. Its like brownbear416 said, who cares if a guy stretches the truth a little (and I cant recall one post where he has), thats all part of hunting and the stories that are derived from the chase.
Dont be jelous of him because he can afford to chase his Hunting dreams.
I am in the same group as the rest, and look forward to his latest adventure and reading it on these pages. I would bet in the not too distant future, that I myself will be on a guided hunt or two with him.......that way you can call bs on the both of us, but I can assure you one thing, it will darn sure be an excellent adventure!
Old 04-13-2007, 05:05 PM
packhuntr

Default Re: possible, but lets see.

I wouldnt mind seeing some pictures from a guy who claims to have an 84, and an 86 inch goat, from Alberta. Do ya realize the calibur of critters ya talk about:eek . And were you using a stretchy tape:rolleyes ???? Thats not to say we aint got em, cause I know we do, and HAVE seen em. But you gotta back that up....

keep a strain on er.