Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

View Poll Results: Killing Coyotes
Yes, Coyotes need to be controlled 237 67.71%
No, If you kill a dog you should try to salvage the pelt 113 32.29%
Voters: 350. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2007, 12:17 PM
Blakeinator2

Default Re: leaving coyotes in the field

Yeah, i may need correcting but public land you can only shoot em from start of any big game season to the end of the spring bear season(or last big game season)....and if on public then i think you have to salvage them? Private land however i believe its 365 days a year and can leave em where they lay. If i'm wrong there will be somebody to correct me i'm sure.

B
Old 02-10-2007, 12:26 PM
shorthair

Default Re: Coyote Season

Quote:
A Resident may, without a licence and on land to which he or she has the right of access, hunt (but not trap) coyote at all times of the year throughout the province, except as follows:
1) on public lands in the Green Area, only from October 1, 2006 to February 28, 2007, and
2) in Camp Wainwright (WMUs 728 and 730), only from December 12, 2006 to February 28, 2007.
Above is taken from the regulations. Hunting Coyotes on public land closes Feb 28th.

shorthair
Old 02-19-2007, 12:33 AM
ruger300

Well... coyote season is closing in fast but the hides are still prime if ya can find a nice one. Seen 4 yesterday but only manged to convince one back out into the open. Still nice fur on this older male and the other 3 looked good too. I figure I seen the rest of the pack this morning on my way to Calling Lake for a day of fishin. Alas no rifle in the truck and the yotes were on land I have permission on. Oh well, maybe next time.

Keep them photos showing up.

ruger300
Old 03-11-2007, 12:40 PM
honda450

Here's a fine fellow I got this season.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:00 PM
bigbore

nice looking pics guys. ruger300 , those shooting sticks in the pics on pg.3, those store bought or homemade???
Old 03-29-2007, 08:26 PM
ruger300

Store bought BB. Stoney Point steady stix. Stuck some camo'd duck tape on them to break them up a bit. Have made homemade one's for some of my hunting buddies out of old buggie whips I find up north at work. They work great too but it's always nice after a long day chasing yotes to collapse the stoney's and put them in the backpack.

ruger300
Old 04-07-2007, 03:40 PM
BrownBear416

Default Yote Hunting.

Quote from Coyote Snuffer...
Them bastards deserve every hot bullet they get. We knock em down in the barley field every couple of days, then wack the rest of the ones that come to eat the dead one. :lol :lol

I believe that Coyote's are like Bears and that there population needs to be kept in check and hunters are the one's doing it.

Do you think hunters could kill enough Yotes in a year to make a very big impact on there population?? I dont think so.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:19 PM
Delburnedave

Default Re: Yote Hunting.

Quote from Coyote Snuffer...
Them bastards deserve every hot bullet they get. We knock em down in the barley field every couple of days, then wack the rest of the ones that come to eat the dead one.

I've shot lots of coyotes and left them where they fell, but I have yet to see another coyote feeding on them. I've walked past the carcasses of coyotes I've shot weeks, or even months later and the only thing that's touched them is birds. I'm calling B.S.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:52 AM
packhuntr

There seems to be lots of guys against even having coyotes. I wack my share in the winter, but wouldnt even consider leaving one. Shoot em or trap em when they are prime, dont waste. Just my opinion, but we and the chain, need coyotes. And most of the ranchers claiming coyotes are killing their calves, are clueless. I grew up farming and ranching, and 99% of accusations thrown at yippers, were indeed stilborn calves. I have an acreage, and my dogs bark every night. I havent called the county saying we have a coyote problem, cause its part and parcel. Only my opinion.

keep a strain on er.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:41 PM
Canmoron

Hey Delburne
Ever notice how much ravens love eating dead coyotes?

Coyote meat seems like candy to them - don't know if it's the taste, or if they just delight in chowing down on the 'trickster' they've played with all winter.

Around here, they much prefer road-killed coyote to deer and elk.

Andrew