Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-18-2007, 12:07 AM
Bruce

Default Browning vs Benelli autoloaders

Hi gang,
I'm planning on buying a new shotgun in the next couple of months and have narrowed it down to 2 choices, Browning and Benelli. I just wanted to see what people's experiences have been with these autoloaders. Choice number one is Browning Gold Evolve and the other one is the Benelli M2 Field.

My main concerns are how these guns handle light/target loads, and whether the gas system is more reliable than inertia driven.

The small price difference doesn't matter much since I want to buy the right gun instead of the best price.
I also don't want the 3.5" chamber since the gun will be mainly for ducks and upland.

Recoil-wise, is there a difference? I'd like my wife to be able to pop a few shells without regretting it

Thanks in advance,
Bruce
Old 04-18-2007, 09:16 AM
rugatika

Default browning gold fusion

I have a 12g gold fusion and like it a lot. (I'd still like a nice over/under though). It handles the heaviest goose loads with little recoil (compared to my old pump anyway). I've seen it jam when a friend was using it for sporting clays with target loads twice out of 100 shots for him. But it has never jammed for me.

Nice light gun that is easy to carry. I've never used a benelli so can't comment or compare.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:11 AM
sheep hunter

Default Re: browning gold fusion

My experience with the Browning is limited but I know at one point it had far more jamming problems than the Benelli when you were shooting in dirty conditions. I'm not sure if these have been fully corrected or not. I've shot the Benelli Black Eagle in the worst conditions imaginable and never had a problem. The Benelli seems to address the recoil problems the best with their stock design in shotguns like the Super Black Eagle and M2 Field. I've shot several hundred 3.5" magnums out of a Super Black Eagle in a day and was amazed at how low the recoil was.

I'd really reconsider the 3.5 chamber as well. It doesn't limit you from shooting 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells and down the road if you decide you want to hunt more geese or something exotic like cranes, you'll have that option. I'm not sure why so many people are afraid of having a 3.5 chamber in their shotgun....it doesn't mean you have to shoot 3.5 shells, it just gives you that option down the road. Unless you are getting a super deal on a 3" gun or looking at a model like the M2 that doessn't come in 3.5", it is worth reconsidering.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:08 PM
7 REM MAG

Default Re: browning gold fusion

have you thought at all about the beretta, i shoot a silver mallard and have shot a case of shells in one day and campared to my 870 or my dads black eagle my shoulder was quite fine, the benelli is a very nice gun however they dont use a recoil operated ejector and it can get a little tiresom on the shoulder for smaller shooters. if your not worried about price i would seriopusly research a couple berettas aswell as the black and super black eagles
Old 04-18-2007, 08:20 PM
Bruce

Default .

Thanks guys,
I had kind of ignored the beretta line because the Xtrema2 (with the KO system) weighs close to 8lbs instead of just a bit over 7 with the benelli and browning, and I'd rather have a bit lighter gun for chasing around grouse and bunnies. Beretta makes nice guns, just a bit heavy compared to the others.

Is the gas-operated system lighter kicking than inertia drive? Just curious, I know the lighter guns kick harder than the heavier ones

TJ, the SBE II looks nice...I thought it was heavier, but weighs almost the same as the M2. I do agree, having the capability for 3.5" is nice, especially if it's not at the expense of weight.

Too many choices...right now I'm thinking SBE II or M2 but when the verdict is in, I'll let you know.

Thanks again, Bruce
Old 04-18-2007, 09:50 PM
pintailslammer

Default Re: .

Bruce

I shoot a Browning gold in a 3" mag. I used to have a Berretta 301 semi and I can say I definetly like the Browning way more. It cycles fast and I love the way it swings. Recoil is no problem with it at all. I previously had bought a Bps pump in the 3.5" but decided to stay away from it as I didnt seemed to need it.Most of the birds we shoot are in the 30 yrds and less range. No need for the 3.5"

Hope this help you out

Pin
Old 04-18-2007, 10:53 PM
7 REM MAG

Default Re: .

the recoil driven system deffinetly ,lhas less recoil than the inertia, with the berettas some are heavy some arent you ust gotta look around, the benellis and brownings are all great guns and you will be happy with whatever you choose
Old 04-20-2007, 01:07 PM
Faststeel

Default Extrema

Bruce not sure if you know or not, but you can get the Extrema with out the Kick off accessory and still have the ever important 3 1/2 inch chamber so many feel necessary.
I have the Extrema with the kick off option on my gun and I shot alot of sporting clays with this gun last summer, very pleasant for me as I have a bad right shoulder. From what I understand most gas operated guns deliver less felt recoil than the inertia driven actions like the ones in the Benelli auto loaders. That said they do make an exceptional gun. FS