Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-16-2007, 12:01 AM
sideshowkev

Default Dog Trainers???

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good dog trainer in the Calgary Area. I have a 1 yr old yellow lab that I would like to get started properly as a hunting dog (mainly retrieving)
I know a bunch of you are going to say "do it yourself" but I am a contractor and see enough of what happens when an unskilled person tries to save a buck and do it themselves! Just looking for a few suggestions for a professional trainer here in Calgary.

thanks,

Kevin & Chevy
Old 04-16-2007, 12:06 AM
Duk Dog

Try Ringneck Kennels in Strathmore - Maunty & Elizabeth Karp at 934-2377.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:22 AM
Jamie Hunt

What Duk said X 10

Monty and his wife have been very good to me. I haven’t purchased a dog yet, but I know where I will be dealing.
They spent 3 hours with me last Nov. Answered all my noob questions, gave me a show of what a well trained dog can do and most importantly he encouraged me to be as honest with myself about what I wanted and needed from a dog.
Then when a dog came up he thought might suite me he gave me a call to tell me about him. He wouldn’t have made a dime on the deal, but yet he thought this dog would be perfect for my situation.
Only problem was the owner wanted to much $$$ for the dog.
Might have been worth it to some people, just not me.

Jamie
BTW. I totally understand where you are coming from as far as the training goes. That’s exactly what I am looking for.
Plumbers Plumb and trainers train. Go with the Pros.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:04 AM
packhuntr

I think 5 minutes a night would get er. I just got my first gun dog, Brittany. Man, been pretty crazy. Videos, books, talking to guys, working the dog. Well, more playing, shes only 6 months. But knows basic commands, retrieves to hand. Starting to look real good. Not gun shy, just mind blowing what they can do. Been getting lots of coaching from Cohod, and others. First experience with training. But quite easy to do, with the right information, and taking your time. Havent got to heavy duty pointing stuff yet though. But she will hunt, and has been on birds, both from the breeder, before i got her, and by myself. I have it pretty good though, as i have pheasant, and huns all over on my acreage. But dont second guess yorself. By what i can tell and have learned, if the pup shows a desire to carry, man its real easy. Just afew minutes a night. The pup might really surprise you.

edit; if i can get the basics goin, anyone can!!!

keep a strain on er.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:05 PM
CBR hunter

Ringneck are amazing so if you're going that route they are the ones to go to. I've got Chessies so that's not an option for me. I'm also looking into joining the wild rose retriever club just out of Calgary, where I can train my dogs with other dogs and hunters and gain a wealth of information from being in that type of environment. Either way good luck and maybe we'll see you around in some duck or goose blinds this season!

Old 04-17-2007, 02:51 PM
Duk Dog

CBR - the WRHRC is a good local club. There are some really good people in the club for sure. Not a bad piece of training property either.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:47 AM
huntercam

Maunty & Elizabeth Karp they took a lab that I had that was from show dog stock and made a pretty dam good hunting dog out of him but what a mistake i had made if you are going to buy a dog talk to Maunty he is very informed and will help you out in any way possible he is as honest as the day is long he will asses your dog and if he feels that it can not do the job he will yell you that up front so you will not be wasting your $$

He also took a friends 4 year old Golden with a lot of bad habits and broke him of all of them and made not a bad dog out of him.
The most important thing that he did for my friends was the forced retrieve that made a huge difference the dog was in control of the bird until that was complete then the ruled changed and the bird belonged to the hunter.

Cam
Old 04-18-2007, 12:54 PM
bulldog

I have a 10 month old Chocolate, are there any good trainers around the Edmonton area?
Old 04-18-2007, 01:53 PM
training

Default training

Anyone around Provost interested in getting to gether for some training? I've hunted and field trialed labs and am about ready to get back into training a new dog or two.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:15 PM
sideshowkev

Default Re: training

Hey guys, thanks for all the suggestions. I think I will call the folks out in Strathmore and see what they have to say.
I think the dog will work out ok, she is a pure bred yellow lab and has all the qualities of a good Lab... just some of the qualities aren't as strong as I'd like to see them.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:40 AM
Duk Dog

Good luck, it should go well for you with Maunty & Elizabeth. Truly great people.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:23 PM
sideshowkev

Damn I just heard from Montie and I guess they are booked up till fall! Anyone have a second choice?

kevin