Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-18-2007, 02:45 PM
MrLeahy

Default Uhhh ROBO DUCK??

I'm sure some of you have heard of these decoys, my question is are they legal to use in Alberta? I've never seen them before until a buddy of mine said he saw these in use on some hunting show.
RoboDuk.These also come in Canada's and Snowies..:smokin
Old 04-18-2007, 03:15 PM
jrs

I've seen guys using them with great success in southern Alberta. What would make them illegal? I just saw them set up and ducks seemed to drop in pretty regularly with the extra movement. Saw some on a DU auction as well.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:15 PM
Jamie Hunt

Better be.. I bought one at the Sportsman show.

Jamie
Old 04-18-2007, 03:48 PM
Duk Dog

I believe they are, but there are some States where they have been banned.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:08 PM
M70

I hope so..... I 've been using one for three seasons. Joking aside. Yes, they are legal. There are some states that have made them illegal but they are used widely now. In fact I'm kind of surprised by the question.

Some people complain that they provide an unfair advantage. In my experience, it helps to cut down on the number of maimed and crippled birds because the ducks get so close. It also allows inexperienced hunters to positively identify birds so that they can hold off until they see a drake.

I have found that they tend to work less effectively later in the season. I would bet however that the birds that do get fooled are mostly juvenile birds. As the birds fly further south they will have been exposed to the spinners alot and they would be less effective. Sometimes I use them and they seem to spook the birds so I have taken them out of the spreads as well.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:00 PM
7 REM MAG

very legal and very effective, some can get kinda expensive
Old 04-18-2007, 07:28 PM
CBR hunter

I bought a 'wind powered' type robo duck from Cabella's, works in winds as slow ar 5km/hr....works awesome and got it for something like $25 in a sale. Brought in a lot more ducks and we used it right until dec 20. If the robo's are too $$ check out these options....bc really who duck hunts when the winds are slow and the sky is blue! Best hunting is done in crappy weather!
Old 04-18-2007, 07:29 PM
Dick284

Uh, why not drop Alberta SRD a line and get it right from the horses mouth. Although forums like this are great sources of information, relying on them for advice on potential legal matters is a really bad idea.
Try here for the "horses mouth":
Information Centre

Main Floor, 9920 108 Street NW
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada T5K 2M4
Phone: (780) 944 0313
Toll Free: 1 877 944 0313
FAX: (780) 427 4407
Email: srd.infocent@gov.ab.ca
Old 04-18-2007, 11:08 PM
mikeo2

They are definetly 195% legal in Alberta. We use a couple and they work amazing. When we have to walk into a slough to hunt it we take a couple robo's and maybe a few dekes if we can carry them, but if not a couple robo's work awsome. They are killer in the field to on ducks, but make sur eyou turn them off when geese are near. Geese hate them.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:59 PM
MrLeahy

Thanks for your imput guys! I will take all the suggestions and make an educated decision!