Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-08-2007, 12:42 AM
Faststeel

Default 100 yard shots

I'm not down on all 3 1/2 chambered guns, just the Rem Express Super mags.
I had the opportunity once to hunt with a fellow from Oregon who produced a video a number of years ago now, called Proper Forward Leads for Waterfowl. This Vid was made when steel was first legislated in the USA. His name is Walter Bedorak and he is an amazing shot esp. at long range with steel ammo. He shoots a Kreighoff 2 3/4 inch over and under and uses 1's for all his waterfowling be it ducks of geese. One day we were out and the birds just weren't decoying at all, so after a number of passes with no shots fired he sits up and absolutely hammers a goose which I estimated to be about 75 yards and its dead before it hits the ground, so I say Walt how far did you lead that bird? And he says about 23 feet. So for all you sky busters, it ain't the shell, its knowing where to lead the bird.FS
Old 04-08-2007, 02:05 AM
killerbren

Default Re: 100 yard shots

Faststeel, I went on canadiangunnutz and there was a bunch of people talking about the express supermags having the same problem as you described. The thing is I'm not looking at an 870 Express Supermag, but an 870 Wingmaster, and people seem to like it quite a bit, although they say they're not built as good as they used to be.

I was looking at the benelli Nova and wow! Seems like an awesome gun! Does anybody shoot one? And if so what do you think? I thought I had my mind made up until tonight:|

Thanks for all the replys guys, you are helping me out tons,
Brennen
Old 04-08-2007, 02:13 AM
bigbore

well remington got sold, so maybe there will be some changes to the 3.5 line of pumpers

www.uticaod.com/apps/pbcs...009/NEWS02
Old 04-08-2007, 09:19 AM
nube

I have the Barreta extrema and highly recomend it. I see over 2000 birds killed every year and most guys have Barreta or Beneli. They do jam every once in a while but it is very rare. The key is to clean it after every shoot and you won't have a problem. The kick with those gune and the big shells is next to nothing and don't notice it much.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:04 AM
AB DUKNUT

I like the story of the 75 yard shot... Not impossible to do, but requires a hell of a lot more knowledge, skill and planning, then merely walking into Joe's gunshop and plunking down cash for a 3.5" gun.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:19 AM
mikeo2

I cleaned my winchester SX2 once before the season started and then after the season was over, and I didn't have a single jam all season long, and I went threw probably a case and a half of shells easy. Take a look at the winchester pump shotguns as well, I can't remember what they are called right now, but I shot one for many years and it is an amazing pump shotgun.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:39 PM
walleyes

I'm not sure what the problem is you guy's are talking about with the Rem Super Express mags,,, I finished my second season with one this past fall and again it performed flawlessly. I shoot 3.5's in er and it has done nothing but work well and has increased my kill ratio by at least twice...

I shoot mainly Remington loads in it and or Federal and have not experienced any problems.. This past fall I put somewhere around 200 rounds through it with out cleaning and no problem...

I have been shooting predominetly Remington firearms my entire life and collect Remington's and as a whole they are very sturdy and reliable guns... I never worry packing a Remington...

That being said I personally hate steel shot and truly believe there are more wounded water foul wasted because of it than there ever was with lead...
Old 04-10-2007, 03:48 PM
sheep hunter

Quote:
and no one that shoots waterfowl in Alberta is "limited" with a 3 inch chambered gun.
You are limited in the fact you can't shoot 3.5" shells. That's what I was getting at...not the way you took it. You can kill plenty of waterfowl with 3" shells but you never have the option to shoot 3.5 shells with a 3" gun. So yes, you are limited.

When you buy something new, why not buy the newest technology if it is the same price. You may have no intention of using it now but who knows in a couple years. It costs no more to buy, you can shoot 3" and 2 3/4" shells out of it and you have the option down the road to shoot 3.5" shells if you so decide. Seems like a no brainer to me.

The Benelli Nova is a great choice for a value-priced pump in my opinion.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:01 PM
walleyes

And yah back on topic,,, as sheep first said why would you buy a firearm that restricts you're options,, get one that leaves you open to choices its not like the price is that much more and it saves buying another gun in a year when you go on a goose hunt and find out that shooting 2 3/4 steel at geese is almost like swatting a bear with a fly swatter...
When it comes to shotguns and big water foul bigger is definitely better,,, hell do it rite and go 10 gauge now you're talkin killin birds...
Old 04-10-2007, 04:07 PM
sheep hunter

Actually 3.5" shells out of a 12 gauge give you virtually identical performance to a 10 guage....just with the versatility of a 12 gauge.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:15 PM
walleyes

You are right sheep,, but that being said there are more (bullets) with the same velocity in a 10 gauge than a 12 gauge,,, and thus making patterning that more forgivable....
Old 04-10-2007, 04:26 PM
sheep hunter

Only in a couple rare cases walleyes...for the most part 10 gauge and 3.5" 12 gauge shells have the identical amount of shot and velocity.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:45 PM
walleyes

K,,, I'll take you're word on it sheep I don't feel like looking it up as which I'm positive you did before you made a statement..
Like I said in my first statement I have been running a Rem 3.5 for 2 years now and I am definitely still learning on it...
I laid beside a nephew of mine in a cold blind a few times him with a 10 gauge and back a couple years before I had the 3.5 and still shot the 3", that boy would pull of some pretty wicked shots on some big birds with that ear drum busting pig.. But that being said I did some nice work this fall with my 3.5". So what you are saying makes sense... Like I said, I increased my kill ratio by twice...
Old 04-11-2007, 04:19 AM
Faststeel

Default 3 1/2 inch shells

T J do you have a shotgun that is chambered for 3 1/2 inch ammo? And if so have you shot much with 3 1/2 inch ammo?

The Nova is a fine choice in a pump gun but as pump guns go it would not fall in to the "budget" classifacation, as it is one of the most expensive pumps.
Mossberg guns also great value for the money would fall into the budget guns as do the Remington Express products

For the most part all 10 gauge loads are heavier than 31/2 12gauge loads, and travel at less velocity than the 3 1/2, 12 gauge loads. 10 gauge at 1450 fps and 12 gauge at 1550 and as high as 1625 in a 3 /12 inch 1 1/4oz load. FS
Old 04-11-2007, 06:46 AM
sheep hunter

Default Re: 3 1/2 inch shells

Yup to both Fast.....been shooting 3.5 shells for nearly 10 years now. I did some of the original testing on 3.5 tungsten for Federal. How long you been shooting 3.5" shells????

The Super Nova is pretty pricey but at $450-500 the Nova is certainly not an expensive pump. There are cheaper yes but it's not at the top.

I'd disagree with your comparison of shotshells too. Take a look at Federal or Winchester and you'll see that indeed the performance is identical over the vast majority of their 10 and 3.5" 12 gauge shells. Obviously there are some difference but very few. The intent of the 3.5" 12 gauge was to give 10 gauge performance from a 12 gauge and to that end it does. I can give you countless examples if you like but it might be just easier for you to check out these two companies web sites.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:28 AM
jrs

Default Re: 3 1/2 inch shells

If you guys want to hit more geese get one of these
Its not just trick shooter, watch past about 15 seconds.
These things wiped out the passenger pigeon and almost removed several duck species.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=i...ed&search=

www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7FeeamC4qk