Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-26-2021, 02:36 AM

Default Baits gone wild, another one, bear down!

My two sons, 14/17, the 14yr olds soccer coach and teammate, all firsts, now Byron from AO here’s brother joined in on the fun. Byron up to bat next for his first archery bruin. Take someone out and enjoy whats left of it.
Congrats Nate on a scarred up warrior!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2021, 07:07 AM

well done, congrats to all!
Old 05-26-2021, 08:23 AM

Good job boy's, some nice bears you got there

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 05-26-2021, 09:01 AM

Great work. Keep thinning out those bears, they really need it. There are some nice bears in those pictures. Great to see you getting out so many first timers.
Old 05-26-2021, 09:46 AM

Some great bears, there! Nicely done!
Old 05-26-2021, 04:00 PM

Excellent work, maybe next year for me. Keep up the great work in helping out others to get the enjoyment the rest of us love. Living vicariously through you right now.
Old 05-26-2021, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafo View Post
Excellent work, maybe next year for me. Keep up the great work in helping out others to get the enjoyment the rest of us love. Living vicariously through you right now.

Sure a guy could grow them more and hoard them, but all these happy faces are what its all about. Their smiles are my trophies, guess I am getting old. And I love how every bear is so unique, they are not even close when you look closely at a black black bear. The black faced ones I was told by guides that they are the craziest and this is my experience as well.
Old 05-26-2021, 06:49 PM

Wowzers what a great Bear season, hats off to you sir.
Old 05-26-2021, 09:25 PM

Outstanding season so far! Congrats!

DR

Old 05-26-2021, 11:16 PM

Neighbour Byron (Byron AO)got it done. Sent an arrow around 8pm from the one bait that has not had a harvest. Hopefully he gives us a good story on here. Another first, super humble family man that deserves it. Way to go my friend.

Old 05-27-2021, 09:26 PM

Number 5 official. Nice shooting Byron.

Old 06-08-2021, 02:52 PM

Well this story got started 4 or 5 years ago through some friendly conversations over PM's, from the start Roge has been a stand up guy to deal with also willing to offer wisdom, tips or information to the questions I reached out with. We kept in touch over the years sharing pics and BS stories. Fast forward to November 2020, bought a new house while unpacking a truck pulls up and notices mounts hanging in my garage. We start bull****ting and lucky for me I hit the neighbour jackpot by moving in a few doors down from RedDeerhunter Now things are really set in motion haha

Over the winter, and into the spring we had many conversations regarding bear hunting and when May rolled around my Brother and I jumped at the opportunity to join these guys on the bait line and rekindle the old flame of spring bear season.

We enjoyed every night in stand and had encounters every evening we sat, it was a hell of a way to kick of the 2021 hunting season.

May 26th, we made plans for another sit, which would likely be our last opportunity to get out for the season. My brother had harvested his bear earlier that week so we decided to sit the same stand and he would try and film if anything happened, and boy did we have a night.

Arrived at location, loaded up bait and began working our way down the trail. We soon noticed a bear on bait, we proceeded to push that bear off bait and got in, loaded everything up. I settled into stand and brother hauled gear back to truck. As he was walking out there was another bear 80 yards away and working its way in. This set the tone for the evening from 5:30-8:00 we never had a break in action as 5 different bears worked their way in and out.

One bear in particular really stood out, his snout was quite blonde and it almost glowed when he was in the distance, you knew it was him right away. He came in twice earlier in the evening but both times would come in head on, lay down, eat a few bites and then in one swift motion get up and move into some spruce ten feet away not presenting a shot opportunity. He was a smart old bear!!

Finally around 7:55, the sow committed and came into bait with him and another bear in tow. What seemed like 20 minutes in reality was probably 5 he feed between two barrels laying head on. At this point I had 5 bears inside 20 yards, exciting!! Finally he shifted and proceeded to stand up at this point I finally got the opportunity to send an arrow on its way the rest is history. Recovered him 100 yards away, with no blood trail but a good double lung shot.

We had an absolute blast this spring, made some new friends and great memories. Can’t wait to see what the rest of the season brings and are already planning for spring 2022. Thanks again Roge and Rob, this is just the beginning 🤣
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bear 1.jpg (100.4 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Bear 2.jpg (97.8 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Bear 3.jpg (35.6 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Bear 5.jpg (55.9 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Bear 6.jpg (43.2 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Bear 7.jpg (39.7 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by Byron; 06-08-2021 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-08-2021, 03:08 PM

Outstanding job and pics