Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-15-2013, 08:33 PM

Default Fishing the Crow - help!

Let me start by saying this is my first year fishing so i know i have lots to learn. I fished the crowsnest river all day today, and all last Sunday and only caught 1 little 8" rainbow today. I am happy I wasn't skunked today, but would like to catch something at least average sized. Anything I should be trying?

I talked to someone who floated the river on Sunday, and she said I couldn't miss using a golden stone which I tried a fair bit today. The one i caught was actually on a san juan worm. Pretty sure i tried everything i have. With the wind it was hard to really see any insect activity.

I am in Fernie the rest of the week, so not sure if I should give the elk a shot or stick to the crow.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:40 PM

Were you fishing dry or nymphing mostly.I would suggest you go light and small. Most of the fish on the Crow have been caught so many times they are leader shy and picky.Did you try a Prince ,pheasant tail, or a hares ear. Do you use a strike indicator?
Old 07-15-2013, 09:55 PM

All nymphing, believe I did try a Prince. I was not using a strike indicator today mostly because of the wind. Am I maybe missing some strikes?
Old 07-15-2013, 11:27 PM

Default Make sure your down there

Make sure you have enuff weight!

If your not bumping the bottom, you won't get fish.
Prince is good, gold hares ear, any bead head nymph really.

Use the strike indicator.

Also chunk on weight and pitch streamers! You'd be surprised how much action you'll get on the crow with streamers.

Definitely hit the Elk! Load up with stims, madam Xs, and parachute mayflies for the picky ones. Cutties are way less picky.

Keep at it.

The Crow can be hard. And it can be very very rewarding.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 07-17-2013, 09:15 PM

So I hit the elk today. Had a few strikes and landed a nice cutthroat on a stimulator. Made the day for me.

I will probably go back to the crow again Friday. It seems to be in better condition right now.

Thanks for the tips flyguyd. Boy I have alot to learn.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:54 PM

Smile

If I had to pick only a few flies for the Crow I'd choose the hare's ear, prince nymph and a pheasant tail. Those 3 flies will catch fish in almost any river. Good luck.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:44 AM

Did you get to the Crow again? Never fished it before maybe if I can take a day off work during the week instead of the weeknd as I heard its pretty crowded. Congrats on the Elk River cuttie!
Old 07-21-2013, 09:21 PM

No, ended up fishing the Elk again Friday. Caught a couple cuts later on in the day in a side chanel. Think I prefer the smaller, slower moving waters.

I stopped and checked out Michel creek on the way home today. I think I will try it next time I go to BC.

I also stopped and checked out the crow again to see how it looks since fishing it last week. I may just have to get out there one day this week (dont tell the boss). Maybe try fishing below the falls this time.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:13 AM

Fishing rivers like the bow and the crow when you are new to fly fishing can be a frustrating experience. First off, rainbows tend to be tougher to catch than cutthroats, so I would fish rivers like the castle or livingstone etc. as a beginner just because you are bound to catch more fish on the dry when fishing for cutties. As far as the crow goes, my advice is to walk a bit from wherever you accessed the river. Once you feel you have walked far enough, walk some more! Like others have said the river sees a fair amount of pressure and the further you can get from main access points, the better the fishing will get. Long leaders, light tippits, and try and stay back as far as you can from the holes and runs so you don't spook the fish.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:24 PM

thanks for the advice. I was working in the area today so took a hour break to fish one of the local creeks instead of the crow. Had a few bites and landed a nice 14" rainbow on a dry.

Might head back out there tomorrow.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:18 PM

A lot of the issue is probably just reading the water and presentation if you're brand new. Trust me it takes years before you can nail down most of the lies in a stretch and they will still surprise you.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:10 PM

I agree. The lies on the crowsnest are very subtle. Over the years, I have found a few. I find I can catch a lot of little trout most of the time all over the river. But the larger rainbows are pretty difficult to find most days.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:05 AM

Default Lots of big fish in the crow

Contrary to popular opinion, both the upper and lower Crow are teeming with big fish (+18-20 inches). They are all over... They just are rather edumacated and only loosen up for a Dryfly feed during choice hatches, late evenings, or the fall.

Most people 'hunt' the big ones. These ones will tend to be in tough lies (across the river, sipping in the backflow of a pool). Youll see them barely sipping flies, leaving tell tale soap bubbles on the surface.

They'll give you one chance to lay in a drag free drifting fly... Then they'll go down till you go away.

It's an awsome river.

Night fishing with dries and streamers is incredible!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."