Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-06-2012, 08:48 PM

Default Do I have to keep the fly on the bottow all the time?

I know nemphying is to keep the fly bounce on the bottow but I don't know if I have to keep in on the bottow whenever I am nemphying. It looks like fish either stay on the bottow to save energy waiting for drifing flies or stay beneath the surface eating drys. Do they hang out in the middle in sumer time or other time so I don't have to touch the bottom? Thanks.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:31 PM

Wait..what? Sorry man but the lack of spelling and grammar in your post isn't even decipherable....
Old 06-06-2012, 10:03 PM

Seems pretty clear to me what he is asking, unfortunately I am not a fly fisherman so I cant answer. The thing I dont like about this forum is how some people on here think they are so much smarter than the rest of us. So what if everything is not spelled right, we all have our weak areas. Maybe his spelling is not perfect, no need to try to make him look stupid.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:13 PM

wild trout dont want an easy meal and will sort out from whats real and whats not so keep your nymphs on the bottom where the abundance of nymphs are.
During a hatch they will be more active near the surface where they are hatching into dries so you can swing the nymphs and they dont need to be on the bottom.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:46 PM

If u r fishing fairly fast water the fish try to store there energy so if something floats close to them and is desirable they will trap it so to answer your question majority of the time when nymphing close to the bottom is the best....u will catch fish higher in the water column but not as many.....look at this way if u were in that fast what would u do is find a spot that takes little energy to sit there and if food drifts by there nose or they to move for which u go for....dry fishing is another stradegy and the edge come out........hope that helps
Old 06-10-2012, 08:50 PM

generally you will run your rig so that there is a hook near on the bottom, you'll know if you're occasionally hooking up on rocks and logs. You can also run another hook higher up on the line. Some people will use a hopper or stonefly as an indicator or they will run an emerger just under the surface. Usually thats the best way to figure out what they are feeding on. Do a search pictures of nymphing rigs on google and you'll see what i'm talking about. Remember that the fish will most often hold right on the bottom where the current is slower and even better, just a couple of feet off the bank where the food makes its way into the water.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:58 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwalker View Post
Seems pretty clear to me what he is asking, unfortunately I am not a fly fisherman so I cant answer. The thing I dont like about this forum is how some people on here think they are so much smarter than the rest of us. So what if everything is not spelled right, we all have our weak areas. Maybe his spelling is not perfect, no need to try to make him look stupid.
I think the reply above was due to the fact, that the OP only needs to know 6 words to get a job here.....
Old 06-10-2012, 09:16 PM

Bottom is a good place to start, and is a standard Bow river rig, but I've also have great luck in mid areas along with just under the film. Its amazing where you find trout. Don't be afraid to experiment.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 06-10-2012, 09:34 PM

Default Another fly question?

Are floatants for dryflys legal in alberta? I cant see anything spelled out in he regs but other places ive fished, it was not permitted. If they are allowed, can anyone suggest a good one, i have only flyfished with nymphs, i have good enough success that the stress of wet drys was not required!
Old 06-10-2012, 09:56 PM
Banned

Nymphing is a great technique but I will say I have had as much luck fishing a hoppper dropper setup, with the dropper about 24-30 inches below the hopper. This is more of a shallow water technique (less than 5ft.) and probably not a technique you want to use if you are just fishing deep pools, but I have caught fish on this technique from April through October.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:28 PM
Banned

Cool

trout will feed at any level in the water column. today on a local still water the killing depth was just under the surface. with different light levels changing the preference. on friday they wanted the fly 20" down fished still. today short 8-10" strips had them continually hitting the fly. rivers will be the same depending on the hatch the fish a keying in on. rise forms will help give some indication of how the fish are feeding on their chosen prey. saturday the trout were leaping and rising with abandon, I kept changing flies till the indicator reflected similar aggression in takes. down deep is hedging your bets for a fish, observation will give you the ability to tune your rig / flies for optimal results. hope that helps.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:45 AM

feeding fish, those ones that bite your hook, hang where the food is. Nymphs live in the bed rubble, and emerge to molt into adults. Fish will lie above the rubble, picking up any unfortunate nymph that has lost it's footing. When nymphs rise from the bed to molt on the surface, they typically do so in numbers. The fish then leave the realative security of the bed to rise and feast on the emerging nymphs. The bulk of the feeding is happening below surface, but depending on the characteristics of the emergance, can include surface activity.

The question of where you want your nymph to be, is where the other nymphs are, because that's where the fish are.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvnda View Post
Are floatants for dryflys legal in alberta? I cant see anything spelled out in he regs but other places ive fished, it was not permitted. If they are allowed, can anyone suggest a good one, i have only flyfished with nymphs, i have good enough success that the stress of wet drys was not required!
Floatants are legal as long as they are not scented.

Fishing Regulations
Old 06-11-2012, 09:31 AM

If you are fishing a decently fast moving current and you cant tell if you are drifting the bottom you may want to think about putting a small split-shot on. I used to hate them, thinking the fish would see it and change its mind about taking the fly... Totally untrue.. I have caught so many fish because of split-shots in the last few years I know they work great.

depending on the depth of water, put according size about a foot above your fly.. it will help getting your fly deeper if you think thats where the fish are holding/feeding.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:07 AM

Default ..

Hi Tristan
I recommend you go to your public library and start to read ever book on fly fishing you can get your hands on. Other than 10 or 20 years of experience you can't beat the knowledge you get out of a book. Join your fish and game association or fly club and they may have books in a club library you can borrow. You might even find a fishing partner to boot.
BJ
Old 07-26-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjay View Post
Hi Tristan
I recommend you go to your public library and start to read ever book on fly fishing you can get your hands on. Other than 10 or 20 years of experience you can't beat the knowledge you get out of a book. Join your fish and game association or fly club and they may have books in a club library you can borrow. You might even find a fishing partner to boot.
BJ
lol.. bjay.. winner for best name on the forum...

was gonna try to keep track but ive caught to many!!!
Old 07-27-2013, 05:07 PM

Look up "Leisenring Lift". I attempt it and sometimes get a hit.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
Look up "Leisenring Lift". I attempt it and sometimes get a hit.
Excellent technique that I use a lot.

Fishing Regulations