Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-05-2013, 11:30 AM

Default Fly package at Costco....pike and salmon?

Hi Guys,

Wondering what you think of this little package......

http://t.costco.ca/Etic-Tandem-Fly-K...100039212.html

Do you think these patterns could works for both Pike and Salmon?

Seems like not a bad price for 32 tandem tied rigs.....I am going on an August open water trip to the Island and I really want to hammer some salmon on the fly....do you figure these would work trolling them out back in the prop wash?

LC
Old 04-05-2013, 12:07 PM
Banned

I know for a fact they work great back east trolled for speckles,lakers,landlock salmon,and swung for Atlantic kelts in the spring.....Pike and westcoast salmon....I don't see why not?
Not a bad deal neither if you don't roll yer own flies,they're usually 4-5 bucks/each to buy individually?
Old 04-05-2013, 12:09 PM

Pike will bite anything! It is amazing what they will bite!
Old 04-05-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
I know for a fact they work great back east trolled for speckles,lakers,landlock salmon,and swung for Atlantic kelts in the spring.....Pike and westcoast salmon....I don't see why not?
Not a bad deal neither if you don't roll yer own flies,they're usually 4-5 bucks/each to buy individually?
That's what I was thinking. I do tie my own but I think these are worth picking up to try and also mimic.

LC
Old 04-05-2013, 12:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
That's what I was thinking. I do tie my own but I think these are worth picking up to try and also mimic.

LC
The more I look at at it,the better that deal looks?The watertight flybox alone is $20-30bucks at any flyshop depending who's name is stamped on it....that makes it about $2bucks/fly give or take compared to 5 bucks each and more for tandem trollers in any flyshop.Even though I tie my own,at that price it's kinda tempting,ESP. if I was back east anxiously awaiting ice-off landlocks.I wouldn't tie and sell tandems for that price,not a chance/ain't happenin!!
....then again they're probly offshore sweatshop flies so it'd be nice to check out the quality/durability beforehand?
Old 04-05-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
The more I look at at it,the better that deal looks?The watertight flybox alone is $20-30bucks at any flyshop depending who's name is stamped on it....that makes it about $2bucks/fly give or take compared to 5 bucks each and more for tandem trollers in any flyshop.Even though I tie my own,at that price it's kinda tempting,ESP. if I was back east anxiously awaiting ice-off landlocks.I wouldn't tie and sell tandems for that price,not a chance/ain't happenin!!
....then again they're probly offshore sweatshop flies so it'd be nice to check out the quality/durability beforehand?
I think I'm going to buy some and if they end up being poor quality it's Costco you just return it anyway....

LC
Old 04-06-2013, 03:09 PM

I have never used flys for salmon before, I am a hack fly fisherman who typically only targets pike....someone mentioned a needle fish pattern works really well.

Of the guys in the know would any of these in the package from Costco be considered "needle fish" patterns?

LC
Old 04-06-2013, 04:23 PM

The blue over green will be good for salmon.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:57 PM
Banned

Cool

1, 2, 6, 7 could be good producers. casting with tandem hooks will frustrate. Trolling will need a little time to tune the tandems I suggest changing out there tandem and replacing them with hi quality replacments a size or two smaller. The fly must run corretly to stop line twist. Tune at a mph faster than you plan to troll at .the other flys may work on dark days on on speices other than coho.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
1, 2, 6, 7 could be good producers. casting with tandem hooks will frustrate. Trolling will need a little time to tune the tandems I suggest changing out there tandem and replacing them with hi quality replacments a size or two smaller. The fly must run corretly to stop line twist. Tune at a mph faster than you plan to troll at .the other flys may work on dark days on on speices other than coho.
Thanks for the info....I have never fished in this fashion before and it could be a total bust but I am going to give it a try!

LC
Old 04-06-2013, 07:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
I've trolled this style of tandem flies for many years and never had an issue with tuning or line twist.I've also cast them on occasion....again,no problem?
As mentioned previously,they are very popular on the east coast for ice out landlock salmon,lakers and specks.Personally,I troll them on a sink tip line with short(6') leader,but lotsa folks troll them with spinning gear also.Might be a good idea to use a swivel with spin gear/mono a few feet ahead to avoid line twist,I dunno,I only use fly gear,but I've never heard my spin fishing buds complain,and they were often sitting in the same boat right next to me.
Can't speak for Pacific salmon,but #1 thru 8 will ALL take fish,I've used every one of those patterns to some extent,some more than others,along with some other local favorites.Some color combos just seem to work better on certain lakes,but generally speaking they are all lake smelt patterns or representative of localized baitfish.Another popular method with the spinning crowdof is to troll these flies 5-6ft behind a Rapala ,and I've seen double hitter landlocks that way more than once.....kinda comical when a 24" salmon jumps with a 16"er in tow,lol.
And fwiw,the "blue over green" (#6)is actually more of deep purple hue,it's a Magog Smelt.

Last edited by grinr; 04-06-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:23 PM

So would a 9' 8 weight be enough for this type of fishing?

LC
Old 04-06-2013, 07:29 PM
Banned

Quote:

LC
IMHO....hell yeah!
Old 04-06-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
IMHO....hell yeah!
I bought a Pieroway from a member here last year....not up to speed on all my fly fishing (like I said I fly fish for pike mostly which to most true fly fisherman is laughable ) BUT it has a good fighting handle....which I think it can be casted as or is a short spey rod??

I figure it will be perfect for what I want out on the coast this year....

Pics..

LC
Old 04-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Banned

I'd say that should easily handle any pike that swims and all but the biggest of Kings quite adequately.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
I'd say that should easily handle any pike that swims and all but the biggest of Kings quite adequately.
I have caught up to 44 inch pike on rods similar....and several in the 36-40 inch range and not felt undergunned.....I just know how salmon fight in the open water and I had better have a tonne of backing!

LC
Old 04-06-2013, 08:11 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
I've trolled this style of tandem flies for many years and never had an issue with tuning or line twist.I've also cast them on occasion....again,no problem?
As mentioned previously,they are very popular on the east coast for ice out landlock salmon,lakers and specks.Personally,I troll them on a sink tip line with short(6') leader,but lotsa folks troll them with spinning gear also.Might be a good idea to use a swivel with spin gear/mono a few feet ahead to avoid line twist,I dunno,I only use fly gear,but I've never heard my spin fishing buds complain,and they were often sitting in the same boat right next to me.
Can't speak for Pacific salmon,but #1 thru 8 will ALL take fish,I've used every one of those patterns to some extent,some more than others,along with some other local favorites.Some color combos just seem to work better on certain lakes,but generally speaking they are all lake smelt patterns or representative of localized baitfish.Another popular method with the spinning crowdof is to troll these flies 5-6ft behind a Rapala ,and I've seen double hitter landlocks that way more than once.....kinda comical when a 24" salmon jumps with a 16"er in tow,lol.
And fwiw,the "blue over green" (#6)is actually more of deep purple hue,it's a Magog Smelt.
Just trying to help a guy out, we are not talking an experienced fly caster.
I suggest at 3 mph most flies will start to spin unless tied by an a hand used to trolled flies. Therfore requiring some tuning.
Generally coho flies are trolled only 30' off the back of the boat in or just off the prop wash.It can be a killing method. ime dull colours out perform bright for coho. The op asked for a needle fish patterns 1,2,6,7 best represent the prey,a mickie finn(a personal fave) Iis not exactly representitive of the prey speices the op inquired on .
Old 04-06-2013, 08:20 PM

Appreciate all of your input....I should be more clear, I have fly fished for quite a few years but being up in Edmonton I typically fly fish for pike and walleye (usually involves trolling a sinking line with a leech pattern).....yes I know.....walleye

I can cast reasonably well the large streamers that I use for fly fishing and I tie some of my own god awful ugly flys.....but they catch fish.

I have never caught a salmon on the fly and I had always heard of guys trolling fly in the prop wash to catch coho and the odd spring. Head out to Tahsis in August and I figured I would give it a go.

I have been doing some reading and from what guy have told me and it seems the trolling of a needle fish pattern in the wash is as close to a sure thing as you can get....

Saw this package at Costco....and I figured for around $100 I would have enough flies to hold me over for a few day trip to the coast.

I just placed an order....I will post some pics here once I get them.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 04-06-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:37 PM

Just found a link that shows these sell for $4 each normally....32 with a fly box is a great deal for $99.

LC
Old 04-08-2013, 11:02 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:

LC
8 wts are ideal for Coho fly fishing! 9' is good. 9.5 -10 is better.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:19 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Wondering what you think of this little package......

http://t.costco.ca/Etic-Tandem-Fly-K...100039212.html

Do you think these patterns could works for both Pike and Salmon?

Seems like not a bad price for 32 tandem tied rigs.....I am going on an August open water trip to the Island and I really want to hammer some salmon on the fly....do you figure these would work trolling them out back in the prop wash?

LC
Best Coho fly ever for salt water is the Clouser Minnow Chartreuse/white http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...uct-flyer.html
The Silver Thorn is also a well known.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilversidesBC View Post
Best Coho fly ever for salt water is the Clouser Minnow Chartreuse/white http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...uct-flyer.html
The Silver Thorn is also a well known.
Thanks for the info. Should I be using. Floating line, sinking line, or a sink tip line?

LC
Old 04-09-2013, 09:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Should I be using. Floating line, sinking line, or a sink tip line?

LC
Clousers are already fairly heavy depending on the size of course.I'd choose floating or sinktip depending on the river conditions,depth,heavy or gentle current etc.?You should be able to fish clousers effectively with a floating line/10-12' leader in a moderate current down to 6' deep or so no problem?If it's deeper water and/or heavy current,a sinktip will certainly help keep your fly down deeper in the water column if you are swinging and stripping.On the other hand,if you are casting Clousers upstream and bouncing them back(quite effective Clouser method also),I'd stick with the floater.
No need to go out and buy a dedicated sinktip line IMHO,just pick up a T14 polyleader and loop to loop connect it to your floating line as required.With Clousers it won't be as critical,but generally with any sinktips you'll want shorten your leader to 6' or less to keep the more bouyant flies down at the desired level.

I wouldn't worry about full sink line at all,they are more for extreme deep/fast river conditions,deep lake presentations and/or trolling.....and they are a real PITA to pick up/cast.

Last edited by grinr; 04-09-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:08 PM

For bucktailing behind the boat (closer is better BTW; think feet, not yards) let 'em spin, though I would suggest a swivel.

While an 8WT is plenty for all but mutant coho, even an moderate sized chinook (30lbs) is likely to hand you your hat, but you will likely have a big grin on your face. However, coho are your most likely volunteers in this endeavour, so go for it.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:19 PM

Well that did it P.P. !
I ordered a set to try out on the cohos at Langara this August.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:22 PM

Ive been on a couple trips in tofino buck tailing for coho didnt land any fish, but hooked up on a couple. Flies were mostly needlefish imitations. The key to it was having the fly right in the prop wash. Thats where they'd smash it.

If you're casting for the fish into the kelp beds a full sinker is key in 10-50' of water.

Estuaries, a floater or slow sink/intermediate is what you want.

The few fish i've been into in the estuaries fishing for pinks kicked my butt big time.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:48 PM

Great info guys....I will likely be fishing open water in prop wash for this trip.

I have a set of these flys on order.....I know I could probably source some local or tie some but sometimes it is easier just to buy certain things. Considering the price and quantity of this kit I figure its a good deal.

LC
Old 04-10-2013, 06:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
Ive been on a couple trips in tofino buck tailing for coho didnt land any fish, but hooked up on a couple. Flies were mostly needlefish imitations. The key to it was having the fly right in the prop wash. Thats where they'd smash it.

If you're casting for the fish into the kelp beds a full sinker is key in 10-50' of water.

Estuaries, a floater or slow sink/intermediate is what you want.

The few fish i've been into in the estuaries fishing for pinks kicked my butt big time.
Ooops....my line and tactics suggestions were intended for river fishing/wading/casting.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:04 PM

Default UPDATE received the flys!!!!

Here they are.....August cannot come soon enough!

LC
Old 04-12-2013, 12:18 PM

test the stinger hook to make sure it just does't separate from the fly under heavy pressure and aren't too soft. often cheap flys have this problem. it the hooks are strong and don't pull apart, they look good. if they're crappy, the box they came in looks nice.