Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-20-2013, 01:17 PM

Default Montana Flyfishing trip

Hello all

Just thought I'd share my experience down in Montana flyfishing on the South Fork of the Flathead River.

This is where we were guided out of and stayed. Great place and friendly people!

http://www.diamondrranch.com/

We had a great time and was the best dry fly cuttie fishing I have ever seen! I've never caught fish on such big foam flies before. Plus you have a good chance getting into some big bulls. I recommend getting a guide to get the most out of it. I'm not really a pro so the extra help but very useful. Plus they float you down the river, arrange all shuttles, etc. For a vacation I like when someone does everything for me haha.

Here is a pic:

It's also a great place to go even if you go with a non angler as there are other things to do like horse back riding, huckleberry picking, swimming in the crystal clear waters.

Just thought I'd add if you do go down there please treat this fishery with respect! Of course that goes for everything but these are native westslope cutthroat trout and bull trout. You also have to get a special catch card to target bulls and you can only fish for them in the mainstem South Fork. A dam prevents the non natives like browns and rainbows from getting up so it's a really special place. I'm not worried, you guys seem like responsible anglers.

Cheers!
Old 07-20-2013, 04:55 PM

Thanks for the post! I might have to gives those guys a call next week!
Old 07-21-2013, 09:36 AM

Yes you should! They can do days trips too. Check the website for pricing. It's a bit of a drive through gravel roads off the highway but worth it!
Old 07-21-2013, 08:32 PM
Banned

Cool

Great report , more pics please.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:09 PM

I unfortunately don't have any more good pictures . Our guide was pretty adamant about putting them the water quickly since it was so warm out. I understand that. But we must have caught at least 50 cutties!

Lost a big bull and didn't get a pic of it