Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-22-2013, 09:05 PM

Default lake flyfishing for rainbows..

need help as i have never even attempted flyfishing in a lake before. I will be at beaver and phyllis this weekend as i just bought a pontoon!!

not asking for secrets just a few ideas to give a shot!! Thanks in advance to all the helpful ao members!!!

My one important question is would it be worth it to buy some sinking line? As all i have ever used before is dry flies!?

was gonna try to keep track but ive caught to many!!!
Old 07-22-2013, 09:36 PM

If you purchase a line I would give serious consideration to an intermediate or type 1 sinking, slowest of the sinking lines. In my opinion the most useful of the sinking lines for prairie lakes. If you stick with a floating, try bead head flies.

For flies, you can not go wrong with a brown woolly bugger. Leeches are good as well when not sure what to use, but not as strong a choice in mid summer. If you've fished streams and rivers you know about matching hatches, lakes are the same but you have to really watch the water for hints, most of the hints are underwater.

Most of the fish will be close to the weeds when feeding, real close.

Thomas Sowell

Last edited by pikergolf; 07-22-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:43 PM

thanks so much!!! will give this a shot and post pics if i do have any success!

was gonna try to keep track but ive caught to many!!!
Old 07-23-2013, 01:19 AM

ive had better luck since i used a longer leader i attached about five ft of tippet to my 9 ft leader id get a sinking line for sure the action of your fly is a lil different when using a floating line and an under surface fly if they are rising lots itll be good to try a red ant ive caught a few fish on that but most of my luck has come from leaches of dark colours but hey im new at this so dont take me too seriously lol ...good luck man phylis lake has some gooders
Old 07-23-2013, 06:48 AM

Default Brian Chan's Flyfishing on Trout Lakes

This is a great book on how to approach lakes, what to look for, use, etc. Easy read too.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:14 AM

I'm a big fan of fishing under an indicator, and I've had a lot of luck on lakes and streams under an indicator. It's not the easiest for casting but it's worth trying.
Time of year is a big factor, match the hatch for best success. Pay close attention to the water surface for bugs or fish rising. Some of my favs are leeches, scuds, chironomids, and boatmen.

I think beaver is now c&r only (this is a good thing), just some heads up.

Get yourself some clear intermediate sink.

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 07-23-2013, 10:47 AM

How about a compromise? Floating line with sinking tip?

I'm heading to Shuswap this weekend with my 5 wt and 8 wt rods. All I have is floating lines. I've done the long leader on my 5 to get down a bit in the past and it's worked. The 8 has actually only ever been used in Mexico and is currently rigged with floating line designed for tropical/bonefish. Need to get line for up here and was considering something with a sinking tip for Canadian lakes and large rivers like the Bow. Thoughts?

Also, for those that know, is a 8 wt floating line designed for hot tropical conditions completely useless up here?
Old 07-23-2013, 11:16 AM

Sinking line or sinking tip for sure. I find the floating line makes too much waves when you retrieve if you're fishing wet flies. Fine for dries obviously though.
I had most luck with sub surface loch flies with figure of 8 retrieve, not too quick but seems to work better when not super slow.
Imitation of caddis flies or maybe scuds depending on where, leeches and damsel flies are great too.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 07-23-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishermansfriend View Post
need help as i have never even attempted flyfishing in a lake before. I will be at beaver and phyllis this weekend as i just bought a pontoon!!

not asking for secrets just a few ideas to give a shot!! Thanks in advance to all the helpful ao members!!!

My one important question is would it be worth it to buy some sinking line? As all i have ever used before is dry flies!?
No secrets about it man.......lecch or wolly bugger with a chironomid....black chironie will prob work
Old 07-23-2013, 12:58 PM

type 1 sink would be my last choice ohhh ya sink 2 is the slowest i have i usually fish with a sink 7 and do good and there is a reason why
Old 07-23-2013, 06:08 PM

have fun and good luck!

Last edited by BC Mountain Boy; 07-23-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman View Post
type 1 sink would be my last choice ohhh ya sink 2 is the slowest i have i usually fish with a sink 7 and do good and there is a reason why
yes while fishing for cuttiebowbrowns raking the bottom with a hopper dropper dropper hopper betty white nymph is most effective and don't forget to snap it so you know its working i like color coded lead line to get the hopper down where the brownbrookybows live.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnlh View Post
yes while fishing for cuttiebowbrowns raking the bottom with a hopper dropper dropper hopper betty white nymph is most effective and don't forget to snap it so you know its working i like color coded lead line to get the hopper down where the brownbrookybows live.

Sink 7 is not a hopper dropper fish mostly minnow patterns deep. The sonar helps to see the active depth
Old 07-24-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnlh View Post

Hopper dropper on a sinking line? Never heard of that before.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 07-24-2013, 08:32 AM

Your most versatile line is definitely a floating line. By lengthening your leader, using weighted flies and lots of patience, fishing as deep as 20ft or more is possible. My 2nd favorite for stillwaters is a clear intermediate sink line then a type 5. Sink tips can work but full sinks are more productive as it will keep your presentation in the strike zone longer during your retrieve. Two fly rigs under an indicator on a floating line works well, maybe a chironomid pupa dropper with a balanced leech as your point fly. Start by hanging you point fly a foot off the bottom and keep changing depth working you way through the water column a foot at a time until you find the depth the trout favor.

Here are some articles that may help you out.
Stillwater Articles
Old 07-24-2013, 08:43 AM

Or if you don't want to buy two lines, get a floating line and purchase a 10 or 15ft sinking tip to add on. $20
Old 07-24-2013, 10:23 AM

You guys don't know Hank Patterson skills about Hopper fishing. Better get educated
Old 07-24-2013, 05:01 PM

Default Been to Beaver a few times

always wished I had my sinking line with me. Always had the best luck with emergers or flies fished just under the surface or leeches fished deep. I have a sinking line you can borrow if you want. Just took it off a reel I sold a guy. Its new, Rio Streamer Line 6w.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Your most versatile line is definitely a floating line. By lengthening your leader, using weighted flies and lots of patience, fishing as deep as 20ft or more is possible.

Here are some articles that may help you out.
Stillwater Articles
Im with doc here 110 percent. You will very rarely ever NEED a sinking line. Not in lakes IMO. Just my 2 cents
Old 07-24-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgaryguy1977 View Post
Im with doc here 110 percent. You will very rarely ever NEED a sinking line. Not in lakes IMO. Just my 2 cents
U guys keep fishing with your floating all the time. I will be the guy laughting at u.
I fish any way. That catches fish...sometimes a dry fly some time a strike indicator with a chromnoid or a bugger... Wet line casting from sink 2 to sink 7 or even troll .... U have to adapt but majority of the time it's sink line.
Not looking for a fight just saying keep a open mind and the floating line doesn't cover the whole gamma
Old 07-24-2013, 07:17 PM

Fishing with only one line is like trying to get your way a around a golf coarse with just one club,,,, you could use a putter and eventually get through the coarse,,,or you could use a driver,,, but your short game will suffer!
Old 07-24-2013, 07:41 PM

I agree with last two posters. More clubs on the bag. Weapons in the arsenal. But I do more fishing with a dry line than any other type.
If you do have only one club on the bag, the dry line is far superior and most versatile. I find they cast further/smoother and good luck fishing a dry on a sink line.

On hopper droppers - if it's been sitting a while and hasn't been hit..... Give it a pull and let that hopper or stimi sink before you pull it in. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman View Post
U guys keep fishing with your floating all the time. I will be the guy laughting at u.
I fish any way. That catches fish...sometimes a dry fly some time a strike indicator with a chromnoid or a bugger... Wet line casting from sink 2 to sink 7 or even troll .... U have to adapt but majority of the time it's sink line.
Not looking for a fight just saying keep a open mind and the floating line doesn't cover the whole gamma
Not sure anyone posted that they only fish a floating line. What was posted is that a floating line is your most versatile. I always have a minimum of two rods strung up, my 10ft 5wt with a floating line and my 9ft 5wt with a sinking line but the floating line is used 80% of the time as most trout will be caught in less than 20ft of water and it offers more techniques and tactics at these shallower depths. And yes, an open mind is a must when stillwater fly fishing, it goes hand in hand with observation. Tunnel vision will just get you a lot of fish-less days. Trolling on the other hand, is that really fly fishing or fishing with a fly?
Old 07-24-2013, 08:56 PM

Trolling on the other hand, is that really fly fishing or fishing with a fly?

LOL Come on Doc. Fishing under an indicator, is it really fly fishing or fishing with a bobber.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-24-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post

LOL Come on Doc. Fishing under an indicator, is it really fly fishing or fishing with a bobber.
Both are understandable statements. And many purists feel the same way. I for one have caught way to many fish under an indicator or trolling a fly. Can't deny that they are both effective techniques. And have great purpose. Trolling for example to cover water and locate fish. With that said one could do both these techniques with conventional gear. And that's why when its done with a fly rod...... It's still fly fishing. Or is it mooching now?? Lol

Old 07-24-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherPotch View Post
Both are understandable statements. And many purists feel the same way. I for one have caught way to many fish under an indicator or trolling a fly. Can't deny that they are both effective techniques. And have great purpose. Trolling for example to cover water and locate fish. With that said one could do both these techniques with conventional gear. And that's why when its done with a fly rod...... It's still fly fishing. Or is it mooching now?? Lol
I absolutely hate fishing under an indicator, I'd rather troll, but it has it's place as well. I prefer to cast but there are day's when trolling is more effective.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-24-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:

Difference is, you have to cast and retrieve your fly when fishing under and indicator. That takes skill, ever try casting a 22ft leader? No casting needed to troll though.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
I absolutely hate fishing under an indicator, I'd rather troll, but it has it's place as well. I prefer to cast but there are day's when trolling is more effective.
Especially with a sink line, but as someone stated long lining can work on a dry line.

Have u not had luck under a strike indicator? Or is it that you prefer the purist technique? If it was a yarn indicator would that be different?

I find it more thrilling to feel the strike rather than watch a bobber go under. So I understand that perspective if that's why u hate indicators.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Difference is, you have to cast and retrieve your fly when fishing under and indicator. That takes skill, ever try casting a 22ft leader? No casting needed to troll though.
Also a good point.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Never cast a 22ft leader, heck the lakes I fish aren't 22ft. deep. But I do cast my line after every fish when I troll. I rather enjoy casting, love then mechanics of it, the feel of load and unload, on a slow day I can have fun just casting!!

Thomas Sowell