Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-25-2013, 04:34 PM

Default Indicators, which one

After reading about indicators in the lake thread it got me thinking(old school just starting up again also).

Which are the best ( I was told to use thingamabobbers/sp). Why are they the best? Do you need a selection of different types? I understand the need for different sizes - for fly sizes. Are they only used/useful for flies other than Chironomids/sp? How deep do you use them?

What do you think?

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:53 PM

http://www.stillwaterflyfishingstore...=index&cPath=2

The different colours are for different lighting. Some are more visible in sunlight while others are more visible in overcast.

I find that I tend to use larger sizes if I'm casting heavier fly line - not necessarily because of the size of fly. That being said, I will use very small indicators for light biting fish, regardless of the weight of the fly line. ie: lake whitefish or perch. For those light biting fish, I use really small corkies.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:00 PM

If your fishing deep make sure you get the release style indicators. Or u better have one helluva extension net!

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 07-26-2013, 07:24 AM

You don't need a quick release indicator...first you land the indicator and remove the toothpick...then you land the fish. Quick release indicators can leave kinks in your leader and can have a problem releasing during casts if using heavy flies. Tried it, but in the long run went back to the toothpick and corkie.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:03 AM

Hunt..

My web site contains an article on indicators for various fishing techniques.
See: http://bamboorods.ca/indicators.html

Regards,

Don
Old 07-26-2013, 10:17 AM

Thanks for posting guys.
Good info.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:38 AM

I'm partial to the Phil Rowley indicators.....
Old 07-27-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
You don't need a quick release indicator...first you land the indicator and remove the toothpick...then you land the fish.
Why would you want to go through all that with a better than not chance at loosing the fish when you could just use the proper indicator?

Last edited by Doc; 07-27-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soiler View Post
I'm partial to the Phil Rowley indicators.....
Phil's indicators work awesome and this style of indicator (whether cork, yarn or other materials) is a must if fishing deeper than 10ft in stillwaters. Imagine fishing down 15ft and hooking into a monster trout, without a quick release indicator you would have to grab your line and slide the indicator down your leader or remove a toothpick then continue fighting the trout if it hasn't already spit the hook. In less than 10ft or when fishing streams, the thingamabobbers work just fine.

Last edited by Doc; 07-27-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:07 AM

Thanks Doc and Soiler they sound like what I am after.

I actually have some of those quick release ones I bought last year found them yesterday in my "extras" bag.

Only used indictors once last year for a short time.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:24 PM

Here is a brown caught 20' under a quick release yarn indicator. Fly was a Glen's Leech from Phil Rowley's book. I use mink rather than rabbit to give the fly a slimmer outline. BTW - this was not a brood stock fish. Note: it has fins.

Don

Old 07-29-2013, 09:05 PM

Nice brownie Don. Would have been a shame to loose it having to mess around with an indicator.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:33 AM

I use "thill" strike indicators numbers BT013 and BT014 the 13's are little guys for small flies or light rods and the 014's are bigger for big rivers or big flies and bigger rods. Made out of balsa wood and are extremely light and very durable and made in the USA instead of China. Comes with a small toothpick. It eventually wears out and a standard round or flat toothpick can then be used.
I have been using them for years. I and my fishing partners use up to 28 feet of leader under a strike indicator. For a "nube" it can be tough fishing with this much leader under an indicator but it can be done with practice. Just remember---for every foot of leader under an indicator you need almost a foot of fly line outside of the rid tip to start your cast, go slow and keep your loops open. Do not try for distance doing this, especially with 28 ft of leader, you will wear the whole thing.
Columbia old guy
Old 07-31-2013, 09:57 AM

Thanks BJay, You just made a tough find even tougher for a guy in my situation.

Can't find those things anywhere... and they are hands down the best on the market.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Here is a brown caught 20' under a quick release yarn indicator. Fly was a Glen's Leech from Phil Rowley's book. I use mink rather than rabbit to give the fly a slimmer outline. BTW - this was not a brood stock fish. Note: it has fins.

Don

Not so fast Don, that fish looks like it's missing it's adipose fin, common in brooders.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-01-2013, 03:45 PM

Piker,

According to the stocking records again the body of water where this fish was caught have never seen brooders. Largest browns stocked were 25 cms or 10".
This year I've landed 7 or 8 of these immigrants from over the water. They have ranged in size from 17>25". They all had fins.

regards,

Don
Old 08-01-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Piker,

According to the stocking records again the body of water where this fish was caught have never seen brooders. Largest browns stocked were 25 cms or 10".
This year I've landed 7 or 8 of these immigrants from over the water. They have ranged in size from 17>25". They all had fins.

regards,

Don
I was just teasing you Don.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-01-2013, 07:45 PM

Default Strike indicators

THILL bobbers and strike indicators in the USA will sell to you direct. Look it up on the net. Get 1/2 dozen of each size and you will probably never have buy any more. They last a long time.
Columbia old guy