Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-18-2015, 05:52 AM

Default Regular verus Large Arbor Reels

Being from old school I use the regular size arbor reels . For those who have gone the route of the large arbor reels , how do you like them ?

I have always wondered about the balance and the bulk of the large arbor reels being a negative rather than a positive .

Any brand and model in particular for 8 weight been a favorite for those that have used the large arbor style reel ?
Old 03-18-2015, 07:06 AM

I loved standard arbor reels until I bought a large arbor. The increased line speed on retrieval especially while fighting fish is a drastic improvement.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:39 AM

the main thing you have to watch when using a large arbour is the line spooling up more to one side then the other. if you are not watching it can then jam up the reel just when you don't want it to.

i prefer the regular sized reels to the large arbour. had both a redington and an ukima (?) and hated both of them. the drag on both were horrible. bought a Lamson reel and it is the best reel i have ever used.

some people love the large arbours, myself i prefer the regular ones.

Rgds
Mike
Old 03-18-2015, 10:24 AM

For me .. the large arbour has always been preferred! I find that you can catch up on fish running at you way easier than a normal reel. I find myself stripping in line less by hand although there are times particularly with tarpon and steelhead that there is no choice but to strip. It takes a little getting used to in in the beginning terms of line management to prevent line from binding up on one side but I never have a problem with that now. I have had the Sage 3400 and 3600 drag reels for years now and I have all the confidence in the world in them. In fact .. I sent them back to Sage for an adjustment to get the most out of the dial settings ... (before they would stop a truck at the lower settings). I now have better fine tune adjustment in the settings for lighter drag. If you like to fish big fish ... get a large arbor. If you are using a 0 to 3wt rod and reel go with normal for a lighter weight.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:28 PM

I bought a true large arbor Danielsson Dryfly, that thing is AWESOME.

my favorite reels are large arbor and narrow, like a Hardy ultralight DD or a Lamson Speedster.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 03-18-2015, 05:30 PM

I have both and eh. I really like my mid-arbor reddington rise which is the same as orvis's mid-arbor. Best of both worlds and they have a built in clicker and a great drag system