Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-11-2015, 08:11 PM

Default James River

What is the James River like in terms of fishing? Ive heard of people catching some nice browns in there, and also some bull trout. Anyone have much experience with this river? Are there much fish there?

Thanks
Old 04-29-2015, 10:16 AM

I have only fished it once myself. Had a friend go up this year and he did get a nice brown. I have heard some people say that the fish are few and far between and others say it can be pretty decent. I don't think it sees as much pressure as the surrounding waters, and definitely has some nice zones to be fished.

Sorry I can't really give you a solid answer on that. But I'd say it be worth a shot and some exploring.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:13 AM

I fished the James river once last year with no luck using a small Len Thompson. If plans workout I'm gonna spend some time out there this weekend. Its still on my list of rivers to catch a fish out of haha. I'll let u know how it is if I end up going out
Old 05-15-2015, 10:10 AM

Default James River

I have caught fish from the James as a kid 15-20 years ago. I hate to say, but according to Barry Mitchell's book "Alberta's Trout Highway" the James is strangely lacking of fish although bug life etc is similar to other productive rivers in the area. In fact Barry said he considered leaving that river out of his book entirely saying dont waste your time fishing it. It's a beautiful river, but there are much better places to fish. This is only what I have read, and I have no personal experience fishing this river in recent years however...
Old 05-15-2015, 02:33 PM

I have fished this one up on the head waters and there are a lots of very spooky brookies up there. This is where the river comes out of James Lake.(not Wilson) This is way up by Eagle Lake. I have heard of some not to bad sized Brookies coming out of a few of the beaverdams up that way.

PM me if you wish more detailed info

Tight Lines Always
Dennis S
Old 06-08-2015, 12:18 AM

I fish the james a lot and all the rest of the rivers up that way well for the last 6 or 7 years and I can shed a lot of light on a lot of rivers but the james works this way..

from the red deer to the bridge just before the trunk road is Greaaaaaat fishing even if you walk up the road towards the trunk its still good..
but once you get about 5 km before the james river camp grounds the fishing is very far and few between (backcountry camping has wrecked it with the sqauters)... very nice holes that contain 1 bull every half km if lucky and a lot of beaver dams..

now anywhere near james lake is decent fishing I normaly start at eagle lake and walk to james lake (eagle lake is useless without a float tube) but if you have a float tube then well its a great lake and a lot of guides pool up there for fun
Old 06-10-2015, 11:51 PM

Landed a couple smaller browns and a beauty little Brookie on my first trip out there today. Seems like a nice little spot to explore.