Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-28-2018, 08:16 PM

Exclamation The State of Alberta’s “Wildlife Management”

I moved to AB five years ago when I was 13, and have been hunting and fishing it every waking minute since. I came from a non-hunting family and have been self taught and lucky enough to harvest several great bucks and been on some incredible adventures in the field hunting sheep and elk as well. All this time I hear from “old-timers” about the state of our hunting and fishing and how it has deteriorated over the years, so I start this thread to not only acknowledge some of the problems, but to encourage the discussion about solutions. Some problems I think we face as a province are mostly in relation to: pressure, a large population of recreation users not just hunters, conflicting interests in the OHV and conservation communities, being at the northern range of many animals and ungulates makes me think weather plays a bigger role here, an abysmally terrible respect and attempt to improve habitat on land and in the streams and finally poor relationships between landowners and hunters/fisherman as well as the failure for the government to bring landowners on board in conservation initiatives oh and native “sustenance” BS...

I’m not trying to offend any group, (although I have to admit if you are offended then it’s not just my generation being fragile we have to worry about) I honestly want to use this thread as a tool to discuss what we face from a conservation perspective and what we as outdoorsmen and women can do to help.

Tags
conservation, fishing, habitat, hunting, solutions