Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-04-2009, 09:12 PM

Default fishing around grande cache

hey guys

I am working in the grande cache area (fighting the evil pine beetle) for the next little while and im new to the area. can anyone offer any tips for fishing the local lakes? location and presentation would be appreciated. thanks!

Moults
Old 02-04-2009, 09:40 PM

I have only ice fished the local lakes a few times, but so far a small jig (does not seem to matter what kind.....just small) with a piece of worm or maggot seems to get attention. The lakes around here are not very deep, but I usually drill a hole and look for about a dozen or so feet of water.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:24 AM

I lived there for a lot of years and the fishing has gone down hill a lot it is hit and miss but all you need are eithier small jigs or small russian hooks with worm, maggot or like a lot of the locaals use corn. Grande Cache lake is usually better and though there are big fish in the lake you will most likely catch 6 to 10 inch trout, victor lake has better quality of fish but they are harder to catch toward spring the bite will pick up around late feb into march and april. Piere grey lakes can be quite good in the winter but am not sure of the aceess anymore I have not lived there for a few years. PM and I can share a few of the spots that used to produce well for me. I will be fishing victor lake on Saturday if u are around.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:56 PM
Banned

Yeah I would go with any of the piere grays lakes if you can get to them, is rock lake accessible? Might be fun to go after the lakers.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:49 PM

Yeah...Pierre Greys is accessible and fishing OK. Have not seen any big ones though.

My thought was to try Rock as well....but drove in there to the end of the road and seemed to be a long way away from the lake. Probably a good hike to get in there.

-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-05-2009, 08:59 PM
Banned

My wife got a 16 incher out of the middle lake last summer. The summer before I was only out there one day but we got a whole stringer full of 12 to 13 inchers so theyre in there.